ALK Universal replacement network price cut

Hi Al,

I know you don't think much of bypassing but would you do your quick test on a Solen 2.0uf fastcap bypassed with a 0.2uf Hovland? I know you say that bypassing only works at microwave frequencies, let's see it.

By the way your quick rough test is the only real data I have seen that shows a difference at higher frequencies. I think you are on to something here.

Drew

Al,

Maybe the 40uf cap would be easier to measure. How about comparing the 39uf fastcap with the 1uf harmony bypass to the 2-20uf solen combination? I would love to do it but I lack the caps and equipment. The data you provide in this forum has been very valuable to me, keep it up. Thanks,

Drew

A bit of perspective on hearing.

Bob Crites

The softest sound you are able to hear at each pitch is recorded on the audiogram. The softest sound you are able to hear is called your threshold. Thresholds of 0-25 dB are considered normal (for adults). The audiogram below demonstrates the different degrees of hearing loss.

post-9312-13819275936196_thumb.jpg

Thanks AL,

I guess a test of a 2+0.2uf bypass would still be interesting. I am interested in the 10k Hz and above area. How are you doing your ESR test? Maybe I can rigg something up. I am always looking to see if I can quantify and prove/disprove some of these common audio assumptions/myths. The search for the truth continues.

Drew

Drew,

The tests were done with a Stanford Research 720 LCR meter.

Here's three combnations:

20+20 uFd Solen FastCaps. 39uf+1 uF Harmony Bypass cap and a 39 uFd FastCap
alone.

** 20+20 1Khz: 40.40 uF .0015 Ohms * 10KHz: 40.56 uF .0002 Ohms
** 39+1 1Khz: 40.82 uF .0037 Ohms * 10KHz: 41.40 uF .0026 Ohms
** 39 1Khz: 39.84 uF .0034 Ohms * 10KHz: 40.22 uF .0027 Ohms

As I see it, 20+20 uF is the clear winner at both frequencies.

Al K.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys,

+++++ UPDATE +++++

Here's my universal network with 2.2 uF Kimber Kaps in place of the Hovland Musicaps in the tweeter filter. The other 2.2 uF in the squawker filter are Musicaps this time. Again, there is no measurable difference between Musicaps and Kimber Kaps. The tweeter filter shows 0.3 dB loss and 0.5 dB loss through the squawker.

This set is promised to a fellow who already has a set in his speakers using Musicaps. He wants these for another set he just bought. I am going to ask him to put THIS set in his old speakers and put the old set in his new speakers. This way he should be able to hear any difference there might be between Kimber Kaps and Hovlands. I will post his impressions if he does it for me.

I have also been convined that I should continue to offer the Hovland caps as an option. They cost about $11 each more than the Kimbers, so the option will cost $44 extra.

Al K.

post-2934-13819276280574_thumb.jpg

It will sound good, but it won't sound the same. :)

I like offering a film and foil as an option in place of a good metallized type.

Two 20's instead of 39+1, Kimbers in place of Hovlands -- what else can I talk you into changing?:) If I could get you to dump the Solens and use Daytons, and get Bob to drop the motor runs -- it would be a perfect world!