does voice matching really matter?

hillbilly

I recently got my first pair of Klipsch floorstanding speakers. They're Epic CF-3's. I really like them although I've read several opinions that they do not sound like typical Klipsch speakers. I heard they're not the speakers for rock/metal fans which I am, in addition to alot of other stuff. I haven't really spent enough time in front of any other Klipsch's to compare these to. I do know that when I was at the sound shop the best sounding speakers in there were without ANY doubt some Klipsch towers, which is what fueled my desire for Klipsch in the first place.

Okay, to my real question. I've seen on this site that the KV-4 is the matching center for my CF-3's. Does it really make that much of a difference, or should I just find another nice Klipsch for the center? (I'm not interested in anything but Klipsch that much anymore!!)

The heart of my system is a Yamaha RX-V1500 @ 110x7. I stepped up to this from another Yamaha, I think they make really great sounding durable stuff. (my last Yamaha was played loud for 9 years) The Klipsch's and the new receiver have really brought my home stereo obsession to a new level. Hearing all my music again for the first time I guess did that to me!!

Hope to hear from y'all soon.

post-19752-13819275977426_thumb.jpg

and I have just what you need.......a KV4 in vn condition. I just pulled the trigger on a new RC7 to replace it. The reason I replaced it was because it just didn't match the other Reference speakers in the set up. It stuck out like a sore thumb. However if I had Epics and an RC7, I would be looking for a KV4. BEcause it does matter that much. It took me a while to realize it. What part of the country are you in?

I used to think not, but I've changed my mind! IMO the center REALLY needs to match the mains. I am still somewhat ambivelent on the rears, though. If your going to cut corners, do it on the rears.

DM

yes, what he said. For about a year, I pounded the idea that the center speaker could be different because it was the DIALOG speaker and other qualities were more important than the timbre match. I had an RC7 in place with my Cornwalls for several years. I was wrong.

Then I took a step 'backwards' and got a KLF-C7 and was amazed at what a difference it made having the same 'voice' across the front soundstage. When sounds pan across the front as they frequently do, it is absolutely critical to the quality of your system that there be no shift in the type of speakers making up the sound. Crossover points and slopes, horn types, and woofer cone material, along with other subtleties make up the voice of the speaker.

Now I've gone the next step with four CW in all corners and have the parts to make a center CW for an ALL-CW system with the perfect timbre match.

Thanks to my buddy IndyKlipschFan for really driving this point home. Resistance if futile, this is an absolute must if you're seeking the best sonic experience.

Michael

Michael and all others, I have a Heresy1 as a center for my Fort'e1 mains and except for the reference tones to set volume, I can't hear a difference. We have about 250 hours on our HT system now, lots of movies (about 100) and I am still blown away by the sound. I have never heard a difference during a pan of sound. Perhaps I have tin ears or perhaps I am easily pleased. If another Forte or Acadamey show up to try, I will indeed try them, till then, I'm happy.

Thanks everyone for your advice and all your quick replies. I knew the center I have now is crap but I didn't know to what extent I should go to find a matching center seeing how they don't make them anymore. I got my CF-3's at a pawn shop.

wstrickland1, I am definitely interested in that KV-4, depending on price. (of course) I got my towers for $300. I'm in Colorado Springs Colorado so you would have to ship it. I don't mind paying for that though. Fedex grouhd is really cheap. Let me know what you think you could do on price and we'll go from there. It'd be really nice to start out with the right gear!

Thanks!!

Have you seen this on ebay? KLF-C7 up for bid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KLIPSCH-CENTER-CHANNEL-SPEAKER-NEAR-MINT-HUGE_W0QQitemZ5829914801QQcategoryZ116197QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't really think that pawn shop where I got my CF-3's knew what they had. :-)

I want your KV-4. I don't feel like waiting and searching alot. Fedex only says like $23 to ship. (I guessed a Columbia zip) I'll compensate for packing materials also.

My email is ak4x4nut@yahoo.com

Michael and all others, I have a Heresy1 as a center for my Fort'e1 mains and except for the reference tones to set volume, I can't hear a difference. We have about 250 hours on our HT system now, lots of movies (about 100) and I am still blown away by the sound. I have never heard a difference during a pan of sound. Perhaps I have tin ears or perhaps I am easily pleased. If another Forte or Acadamey show up to try, I will indeed try them, till then, I'm happy.

You're in good shape with that setup, my theory on the timbre debate is that CLOSE COUNTS, and yours is a good matchup. THere are lots of setups that aren't the perfect timbre match, but sound pretty durn good. If you're happy the timbre police will NOT be knocking at your door, promise.

Let's see, your setup is exponential horns mid and top, check; paper woofers, check; xovers points slopes nearly the same, you should be quite alright by my criteria, which is just imho, mind you.

I'm more than happy with my KLF-C7, but I just like taking things to extremes, that's why the center CW. In actuality, I'm not sure it can fit where I want it so the KLF might stay for a while longer.

Michael

I'm just a 2 channel guy and would go with what sounds the best, probably matching pieces. On the other hand my brother has all polk speakers with a Klipsch center channel.....go figure?

Welcome to the Klipsch Forum

While I know I not your brother, I had the same set-up for awhile as I got my center a couple weeks before my RB-35s arrived . . .

The differance was very noticable