One More Jubilee ?

seti

"If you build it and market it they'll buy it."

How many "they's" are we talking about here -- a couple of dozen? Look at the domestic Klipschorn sales. Hell, when I tell someone I paid almost $6K for new Klipschorns they act like I'm an idiot -- and I'm talking forum people -- "Man, you coulda got them on eBay for $3".

These threads just piss me off.

In simplistic terms, what did you like most about the performance?

What music did you listen to, etc.? How loud was it, etc?

P.S. Dean, you are on the money there! Building a "full-dress" pair of these corner things new retail runs at about $5K! Paying 6K you actually did not do too bad at all! You gotta figure shipping at approaching $500.

DM

DeanG,

Wow your getting the new revamped Khorns is what I would say.... I didn't see those in Hope but the pics are beautiful.

If it was produced its not like you could get one off ebay for $3" for a long long time.

D-Man,

We listened to the eagles hotel california live of which I am not a fan

and some other artist I was not familiar with. I would love to have

been locked up in that room with a stack of my cds.

They turned up the volume towards the end of the demo perhaps some of

the others that were there can do a better job than I at describing

sound quality and volume. Speaker reviews always crack me up with

descriptions of how something sounds I never get it I just have to hear

for myself. The Jubilee filled the room with music with great

ease. To me the jubilee sounded clear and authorative from the

lows to the highs. The bass was powerful not boomy and the highs were I

don't know how to say it the music was just so clean. If you wanted a

review you should have sent a poet cause I ain't it LOL. The room also

had a couple Khorns in it and in retrospect I wish we could have

compared them but I was just happy to hear the jubilee and didn't think

about it till later.

No body simply looked behind the thing to see what driver was being used? or was it an entire KPT assembly (horn+driver)? looks like a kpt904-hf or a kpt335-mf-hf, both crossover at 800hz in pro use and go to 19khz. have 2" throats...I wonder what the driver was? tony

No body simply looked behind the thing to see

what driver was being used? or was it an entire KPT assembly

(horn+driver)? looks like a kpt904-hf or a kpt335-mf-hf,

both crossover at 800hz in pro use and go to 19khz. have 2"

throats...I wonder what the driver was? tony

I did but I don't remember we got to listen to the new cornwall,

heresey, la scala, and jubilee so I was abit overwhelmed. I looked but

don't remember. I vaguely remember a discussion on the

horn/driver being used and also others that would be suitable. The 904

does sound familiar thanks Sunnysal.

No body simply looked behind the thing to see what driver was being used? or was it an entire KPT assembly (horn+driver)? looks like a kpt904-hf or a kpt335-mf-hf, both crossover at 800hz in pro use and go to 19khz. have 2" throats...I wonder what the driver was? tony

I did but I don't remember we got to listen to the new cornwall, heresey, la scala, and jubilee so I was abit overwhelmed. I looked but don't remember. I vaguely remember a discussion on the horn/driver being used and also others that would be suitable. The 904 does sound familiar thanks Sunnysal.

The only thing I remember is holding back the tears because the sound was sooo beautiful and effortless.

Michael

but I'll put a shout out to Trey for the actual part numbers for the horn/drivers.

The bass horn is what does it for me... so snug and tight.

Tony

I'll buy that - I know by the horizontal folding and the higher crossover point that "snug and tight" is the likely result. The only thing that I don't know about is the bass horn dispersion angles being more forward. I imagine that adds some punch alright, but probably reduces the real lows to a degree.

DM

DE85? I could of swore it was the DE750. I'll take your word for it since you've probably stood next to one more than anyone except those inside of Klipsch.

I always thought maybe it wouldn't be as tight because of the higher crossover point. So flipping the folds in that one turn makes that big of a difference?

The main difference is that there is no "twisting" the expansion from horizontal to vertical like in the Khorn, it's all horizontal in the Jubilee, which keeps the waveform "somewhat" more intact, comparitively. The exception occurs close to the throat, where the expansion is vertical, where the waveform is "small" in comparison and is apparently less sensitive to directional changes in expansion. This follows the old horn adage which I'll paraphrase as "if your going to mess with channel proportions, do it close to the throat where the waveform is less effected".

The Jubilee also importantly features a tailboard assembly that maintains the expansion rate and reduces reflectivity to an important degree, also promoting the waveform transitting the channel with as little distortion as possible (it's tough turning 180 degrees, regardless). These two features allow for smaller wavelength waveforms to pass with "less" distortion typical of folded horns which means a higher bandpass is possible - thus the higher crossover point.

The one particular feature of the Jubilee that is an unknown quantity for me is the foward-facing dispersion angles at the mouth. I do think this would clearly aid the propogation of higher frequency waveforms into the listening space, but whether the difference there is worth the costs of doing it remain a question for me. Essentially, the question resolves to this: how high of a crossover point is high enough? I'm quite happy at 600Hz and could probably be happy a bit lower, too, so is it worth the extra effort to get to, say, 800Hz? That I do not know.

The higher crossover point lets the woofer(s) handle the "punch" in the mid-and-upper bass frequencies rather than the smaller diaphragm of the midrange driver attempting it - this is a very noticable effect which greatly aids dynamics and reduces dynamic compression. I figure that there is only so much extension available (and that's not much) in a midrange compression driver.

That's my opinion, anyway.

DM

post-13458-13819276035166_thumb.jpg

Guys,

One other big confounding variable.... the room.

The difference between tight and punchy and slow and bloated can easily be the room... even with the same speaker.

Many rooms tend to 'hold on' to specific notes longer (resonances) which will sound slow and bloated. If one speaker excites those resonances more then another (or if the choice in music does) it can account for a large percentage of the differences in perceived quality.

It can be very difficult to seperate what is from the room and what is from the speaker.

As an example of the rooms influence take almost any speaker outside away from boundries and listen to it. More likely then not its bass will be tighter/punchier then you have ever heard it before. May not go as deep without the boundry reinforcement but hearing it without the rooms resonances can be an eye opener.

Shawn

Well it was Paul listening room in Hope with treatments he added.

That being said we listened to the new Heresey, Cornwall, and La Scala

in the same room and there was still a big difference between the

Jubilee and the other three. Don't get me wrong they all sounded great

but the Jubilee was a real treat.

" Well it was Paul listening room in Hope with treatments he added. That being said we listened to the new Heresey, Cornwall, and La Scala in the same room and there was still a big difference between the Jubilee and the other three. Don't get me wrong they all sounded great but the Jubilee was a real treat."

I meant more in comparing the Jubilee to how xyz sounds in your own room. Different rooms sound different.

When you throw in an unfamiliar speaker in an unfamiliar room it gets hard to tell what is the room and what is the speaker.

If you had your K'Horns (or whatever you consider your reference) in the same room as the Jubilee it would be a lot easier to determine what the room is doing to the sound.

Or vice versa had the Jubilees in your own room.

Perhaps someone should build a 'Jubilee Crate' to have that thing shipped around so everyone can hear it in their own environment. ;)

Shawn

It's interesting that nobody has ever done a side-by-side A/B of the Jubilees against Khorns, you would have thought KlipschCO would have set that up sometime for you guys...

Granted, the logistics of moving these things is enough to require a team of piano movers, but it would have been interesting!

DM