Ever have one of those days?

rcarlton

November 19 was going to be a great day...I had a E-snipe bid all set for some 1989 vintage Khorns in near mint condition locally (I had auditioned them a couple of days earlier, near mint, walnut, even had a reasonable BIN...but by the time I saw them someone had met the reserve price and the BIN was no longer valid). Michigan was playing Ohio State and it was being televised locally (not in HD [:'(]), Michigan State (class of 1979) was playing Penn State (in HD) as the second game of a triple header, and the Pistons were playing the Dallas Mavericks. Wow.

Michigan loses. [:'(]

Michigan State loses. [:'(]

The Pistons are blown out. [:'(]

I loose the auction for the Khorns by $25. [:'(]

I knew of some 1994 vintage Khorns 250 miles away, offered him about the same as I bid on the local Khorns. He accepted. His wife is happy, he is sad, I am beside-my-self [:D]. I knew I couldn't stay on such a long losing streak.

Long story short...Monday I'm driving to pick them up. Have a U-haul trailer all set, 1 dozen blankets. Hand truck. Anything else I will need?

I loose the auction for the Khorns by $25. Crying [:'(]

actually $25 was just the increment of bidding at the time you lost. You will never know how much the other guy was willing to go to get those Khorns.

Glad it worked out for you. Maybe take pliers, the top hat portion and grilles are held in my wingnuts, you might need to loosen them. They generally truck easier if disassembled slightly.

Have a nice road trip, I LOVE road trips.

Oh, yeah, IU lost to Purdue in the Old Oaken Bucket game yesterday (local rivalry) Luckily I went to both schools.

Michael

Ron,

worked out alright after all.

when i picked up my khorns i rented a uhaul truck (smallest one they had).

you will need some rope. i put each speaker in the corner of the truck put a blanket over them and tied them up to the wooden rail that goes around the storage bin. they never moved.

i hope you like your khorns as much as i do.

danny

1.) Most important: Be slow and methodical in how you prepare them for transportation. These are big!

2.) Bring a friend. Even if it is someone who just tells you when you're about to bash into a door frame, etc.

3.) Make sure the hand truck has a strap you can tighten. AND remember to protect edges under the straps.

4.) Take the side grills off for transportation.

5.) Remove the upper section as Michael suggests to lower the weight.

6.) Be mindful of the weather & protect the Khorns! (duh!)

Congrats!

Colter wrote:

actually $25 was just the increment of bidding at the time you lost. You will never know how much the other guy was willing to go to get those Khorns.

I realize that [W]. Doesn't make it feel any better. I've come in second many times on E-bay. Once to a Klipsch forum member...worked out great for me, however...he got Heresy speakers with one blown tweeter and gouges (not scratches as the seller claimed). I turned around and found my 1989 Heresy II's in fine condition for $80 less.

I am the boob that found the reserve, after he said that he wanted

immediate payment on the bin. (I needed 3 days) The last good K-horns

that I remember in this area sold for over 3 grand. But I do have 2

pair of cornwalls stacked to console myself.[:)] 2 pair of

Duntechs 15s stacked [:)] 2 pair of McIntoish 5s stacked

[:D].& a pair of Walsh 15s. I am running out of room , so you

last 2 bidders really did me a favor.

BTW I auditioned the ones in Richardson...they were three inches from the wall, in a small office and running with 1980 vintage B&O components. One speaker had very minor scratches, a couple of small dents in the wood. The other had similar markings, all from being moved around. Sounded awesome. I couldn't help but grin from ear to ear as I heard them. Our source material was lame since all we had were cassettes. The Doors sounded fantastic. Mike seemed like a nice guy. I'm glad he got more for them than he expected.

Take screw drivers + and -

One pair of plyers...

Take the sides off.. wing nuts... top off./.

Some rags in case dusty too.

Drink Diet Rock Star... Besides being good.. will give you energy..

Without sounding like your mom... Drive carefully, especially stopping, and corners.

Take a camera..take pics too..

Last, make sure you hear them before you give the guy a check.. if a tweeter is blown you should be able to re negotiate..IMO. (mini stereo works too.)

BTW I auditioned the ones in Richardson...they

were three inches from the wall, in a small office and running with

1980 vintage B&O components. One speaker had very minor scratches,

a couple of small dents in the wood. The other had similar markings,

all from being moved around. Sounded awesome. I couldn't help but grin

from ear to ear as I heard them. Our source material was lame since all

we had were cassettes. The Doors sounded fantastic. Mike seemed like a nice guy. I'm glad he got more for them than he expected.

I am glad he got more & I figured he would with the high view

count. I just talked to him on the phone a few minutes & there is

no way I wanted to see them without winning the bid. Way to much

disappointment for this ole man[:D] Plus the firesale that would have

to take place around here.

The oiled oak Khorns are in my dining room right now. They are just as he described...flawless, I can't find a scratch or ding. Tomorrow morning thay go in the corners. Photo's coming.

Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone regarding transport. Lots of blankets helped. I drove with the traffic...seemed a might dangerous to dally on the Houston Expressways. Now I need to take a breath and be careful moving them tomorrow.

These Khorns did not come with a neoprene seal for the tailboard or they were not installed and lost. The previous owner had all the papers and among them was a photocopy describing the installation of the seal. Can I get something comparable at Home Depot?