RB 75?

maxg

Anyone have these speakers? I got to hear them at the show and they are truely superb - yet I never hear anyone talking about them on the Forum.

According to the blurb they go down to 42 Hz @ -3 dB - and it certainly sounded realistic from what I heard.

Lets put that into perspective - it is lower than the Heresy (no surprise) and the La Scala (big surprise).

Tony and I listened to these and then the RF7 that impressed me so much last year. We both thought the RB75 sound was better (at least in that room) if not quite as bassy.

Pricing here is VERY reasonable in comparison to the other products on offer.

Do we have a sleeper here? I think we do - hell even Tony is thinking of getting a pair for his room (and he hates horns).

No, I don't have them but have considered them in in the past while contemplating my purchase of the Rf7's. Not too much talk around here about them....not sure why either? Mmmmm, they sure are a good looking speaker and their capabilities seem pretty darned good too. I would guess they may be easier to drive than the 7's.....

I'd love to hear them, but they strike me as a product in search of a market. They're almost as expensive as an RF-7, and take up as much floor space if you're going to put them on stands. 2 channel fans might just opt for the RF-7 anyway. I'm not sure how the HT crowd would fancy this model, but it seems like they're not quite the right fit for that segment.

I have a pair that I am using as mains in my bedroom ht and they sound excellent. I prefer them over the Heresies that I have heard. I don't however think they compare to the RF-7's, IMO. I also have a pair of RB-75's that I use as rear surrounds in my main HT (posted below). I tried them as side surrounds along with my RF-3's but I preferred the RF-3 towers in that location and moved the RB-75's to the back.

Oops. I see I have ventured into the 2 channel section again--My bad [:$]

I'd love to hear them, but they strike me as a product in search of a market. They're almost as expensive as an RF-7, and take up as much floor space if you're going to put them on stands. 2 channel fans might just opt for the RF-7 anyway. I'm not sure how the HT crowd would fancy this model, but it seems like they're not quite the right fit for that segment.

I believe they are half as expensive as the RF-7's and are excellent for Home Theater. I recommend them for the price ahead of the RB-35's which have the same footprint but not the same innards. The RB-5's (discontinued) are the best bang for your buck insofar as bookshelf speakers are concerned, if you can find a pair. [:)]

I have a pair in my bedroom system and they sound very good. I am not as impressed as some with the low end but I have them on shelves which could have a lot to with that. I am sure they would be much better on proper stands. I did compare them to the RB-35 and found the 75 superior overall mainly due to the better compression driver. Be sure you give them some time to break in and enjoy. You may find at some point wanting a sub depending on your room but they are great by themselves, just don't expect your windows to rattle!

Max:

I previously owned a pair of RB75s that I ended up trading along with some of my modern gear when I discovered the tube amp and Heritage find.

Before then, I had been beating the drum about what a sleeper speaker they are. However, many simply ignore them and go straight for RF-7s instead. That is a shame because the speakers have their own positive attributes and sound much bigger than their size.

When I ran RB75 in 2-channel for awhile (when my RF-7s were getting Dean's mod), I found that the RB75 horn is actually a bit smoother than the horns found in the RF-7 and RC-7 (is actually a different model). And the bass response is adequately once you put the RB-75 on a nice set of quality, filled stands.

Carl.