R30 ... Rush's 30 Aniversary DVD

aviserated

Yea, I bought R30 cuz I read that it was going to sound amazing and was dissapointed. Oh well. But I still think Rio is more fun & I loved Geddy getting off on the whole crowd thing.

Either way, I've watched Primus 'Halucinogenetics' about 10 times now. Brill! THAT's the DVD I'm excited about.

I agree with Fish.

I apparently offended a forum member here when "Rio" first came out.

I was very disappointed in the quality of this DVD. It sounded pitiful and I could not believe it was released mixed this poorly. I have since purchased R30. Although it sounds a bit better, it's not up to the quality you would expect from Rush.
I am a huge fan, but I am not deaf.
Hopefuly next time..............[:(]

Later
Mike

There are a lot of people in this forum who have lousy sounding equipment. I wish some of you people could here this DVD thru my 2 CHANNEL STEREO B&K / FORTE II system.

Maybe just the 5.1 setup option sounds bad. Next time select the 2 channel PCM stereo option before playing back DVD.

I purchase concert DVD's in hopes that the 5.1 mix was done with care.
Yes, the 2 channel option sounds ok on R30, but even the 2 channel sounds horrible on Rio.
(How do you know "a lot of people in this forum have lousy sounding equipment" anyway without having listened to these setups yourself?)
Again, sounds like another assumption that folks with the oppinion that these DVD's are subpar or do not have the same setup are lacking somehow.
I think it's great that you like the quality.
Take care
Mike

There are a lot of people in this forum who have lousy sounding equipment. I wish some of you people could here this DVD thru my 2 CHANNEL STEREO B&K / FORTE II system.

Maybe just the 5.1 setup option sounds bad. Next time select the 2 channel PCM stereo option before playing back DVD.

Nope , tried it , still too hot .

There are a lot of people in this forum who

have lousy sounding equipment. I wish some of you people

could here this DVD thru my 2

CHANNEL STEREO B&K / FORTE II system.

Maybe just

the 5.1 setup option sounds bad. Next time select the 2

channel PCM stereo option before playing back DVD.

There's also a few people on this site that think things sound great because they've never heard really great.

Now see I beg to differ on the whole RIO issue. I myself think it's great.... sounds great on my setup anyway. The cool intermission with the dragon on the screen is awesome, definitely got some serious bass going on there! Is there crowd noise.... hmmm, well being a live recording... YES! lol.... just poking fun, in all seriousness it can be a little loud but, I don't think it detracts from the quality at all. I have not yet purchased R30, so I cannot comment on that.

If your'e after a DVD with no crowd noise, why not just get "Chronicles"?

I don't have a problem recommending "Rio".

Ok Joe,

I am 43 years old and HAVE gone to many concerts in my life. Crowd noise never seemed to be a problem when I was at these LIVE concerts. The level of crowd noise on Rio and the fact they had obvious technical issues on the DVD, to the point where you could barely even hear Geddy Lee........... really no excuse for this mess.

meagain wrote the following post at 01-11-2006 12:10 AM:

"I was not overrun by crowd noise at all. Certainly had zero issue with Geddy's voice being drowned out, etc. Maybe my settings for everything are different?"

Again, referring to the 5.1 mix. I am NOT in to paying $$$$ for excessive levels of crowd noise........

So far, among the DVD's that sound great on "my" system include the Eagles DVDs,
ELO Zoom, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Peter Gabriel, Peter Frampton.. etc... etc......

Edit:
I just finished listening to Rio in 2 channel to remind me that it truly does sound like a bad bootleg recording in both formats. I am a big Rush fan too ya know, but I'm not giving this dvd a pass because of that.....[:P]
I have listened to it about 3 times now, and I think it's all I can take. BLAHHHHHHH [+o(]