audioclassics.com?

travisc

Not sure if you are looking for equipment or repair. I can only speak to the latter. I had my preamp and tuner repaired (at different times), and I was quite pleased with the results. As mentioned above, not inexpensive, but they really went out of their way to make me happy. My tuner proved to be a challenge, so it took a few weeks before they got all the bugs out. During that time I had an opportunity to talk with Richard Modafferi a few times - very interesting guy!

I was in the Binghapton area a few years ago and visited. There is a candy store of used Mac. Some Klipsch was is a bit of disarray in the back areas.

There is the issue of price. You are paying for dealing with long established used equipment dealer who might be the only source (this month) for something you want. They also do repairs and modifications.

BTW, I bought my Mac stuff off e-Bay and Audiogon. No problems. I can see that dealing with audioclassics could be worth the price. Part of the issue is just how bad things can go with cheaper alternatives. Whether the higher prices paid to audioclassics is worthwhile is somewhat a function of how bad things can go elsewhere.

You pay money for certainty. Just how much certainty you need is up to you.

Gil

Not to sound like I'm dissing Audioclassics (I'm not) because I too, looked at their stuff...but don't forget our local guy Terry DeWick and some of his toys (actually toys of his partner I belive...but Terry puts them into 100% mechanical shape)

http://www.mcintoshaudio.com/

Also not cheap...in fact, perhaps similarly priced to Audioclassics. For what I was looking at, the prices were identical and I figured if I bought anything, I'd rather support my local economy AND have benefit of saving shipping.

Just a .02 thing

[:D]

Ditto on Terry DeWickt -- there's no better McIntosh tech out there. If Terry can't make it sing, nobody can! He "tweaked" my C-28 and virtually rebuilt my MC-240. I've also purchased equipment from "Audio Refurbishers" with which Terry is associated. Price is about what you would pay at "Audio Classics" and you get a reasonable warranty. But if you want a McIntosh fixed, Terry's the man -- reasonably priced too.

Mick