Klipsch RW-12 Subwoofer

MojoX

Hello, I have the possibilty to get this sub pretty cheap, which means 40% cheaper than the SVS PB10-ISD, which is also interesting for me. It shall be used for music as well as for movies (50/50) in room which is only 4X4 meters large (I don't know it in feet or inch,sorry).

My question is: Shall I buy the Klipsch-bargain or should I wait a few weaks or even months to be able to buy the SVS sub?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Okay but I heard that the SVS 10 sub is better in the hometheatre area because it can go lower ( I think 16hz) The Klipsch can only go down to 21hz. I mean is it really a huge difference or not? Because in the music area the Klipsch does a very good job from what I have heard and if it is only a little worse than the SVS in ht it is no problem for me, I think...

Marc

The SVS will go significantly lower. The RW12 will not be usable to 21 while the PB10 will still be rocking you into the teens...a very audible difference.

Both have similar capabilities and dimensions. The Klipsch subs do have a response curve that lend themselves more to music (which doesn't, however, automatically mean it's a more mucisal sub. Both are very accurate). It really depends on your taste. Personally, I would pay the extra hundred or couple hundred bucks as I'm 80/20 movies/music. Those last octaves down deep really make all the difference.

But I'm a movie guy, so the PB10 would be the better man. If you're primarily a music guy then at 40% cheaper the RW12 is hands down the winner.

The SVS will go significantly lower. The RW12 will not be usable to 21 while the PB10 will still be rocking you into the teens...a very audible difference.

Both have similar capabilities and dimensions. The Klipsch subs do have a response curve that lend themselves more to music (which doesn't, however, automatically mean it's a more mucisal sub. Both are very accurate). It really depends on your taste. Personally, I would pay the extra hundred or couple hundred bucks as I'm 80/20 movies/music. Those last octaves down deep really make all the difference.

But I'm a movie guy, so the PB10 would be the better man. If you're primarily a music guy then at 40% cheaper the RW12 is hands down the winner.

#

Okay, thank you. So I will find out what type I am in the next days before I buy a sub. :-).

The SVS will not go materially lower than the Klipsch. In any case, the lower frequencies are available at reduced output. There is no free lunch.

What many newer folks forget are that:

1. Most folks do not hear much below 30 Hz. Below 30 Hz it's shake that counts.

2. You need to double the amps power to get a useful increase in sub output. For example, a 300 watt to a 600 watt amp is an increase that can be heard and felt.

3. If you want to go low, a 10 inch driver with low watts does not cut it. Compare the SVS amp to the Sunfire amps on their 9 inch model.

Bill

The SVS will not go that much lower, CAS is being of a FANBOY if I may say so myself. I have owned the RW-12 and the SVS PB12-ISD which is for all intensive purposes is better than the pb10 in every single way. I'd take the RW-12 over the PB10 price being equal every day of the week. Its a better subwoofer in all respects expect for cabinet quality and perhaps a dB or two less around 18-20hz --The PB10 is very heavy and overbuild.

Okay, too bad that I don't have the possibility to check the sub before I buy it so it has to be a blind buy. And yes, I am a newbie concerning subs.

But now I tell you how much cheaper the Klipsch really is. I didn't tell it first because I wanted to know the compared quality of the two subs but now that I am a little confused here the prices are: Klipsch: 480 dollars, SVS PB10: 840 dollars

I am not kidding.This is my choice. Now again: Klipsch or SVS? (Today I propably have to decide).

Mojo

I'd take the RW price being equal, but for 1/2 the price, this is a no brainier my friend. The RW-12 has a larger and more capable driver, you will have noticeably more output with the Klipsch. SVS really holds no great advantage in this price bracket. Did you factor in shipping too? The Klipsch Sub-10 and 12 already match and best the PB12 ISD for output. SVS's real advantages are with their more expensive subs like the PB12-ISD/2 or +/2 which I am quite fond of and will in all likelihood own one day. I would never buy a PB10-ISD over a Sub-12 or RW-12. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thanks for your comments. I just bought the Klipsch RW-12. I even got a subwoofer cable for free. Including shipping I pay 528 dollars. For the SVS PB10 I would have had to pay 900 dollars including shipping and cable. So I am pretty curious and excited now. But I guess it was a good decision.

Mojo

I guess subwoofers are like women, you'll always have your curiosity, but you cant have one both unless you give up another and you may regret that... unless of course you're a pimp like theears and can keep around 15 of em at the same time. You did make a good choice imo with the RW-12.

Well, the money I will pay for the Klipsch is the limit of what I can afford at the moment anyway. So I can propably be happy that the shop had this discount. The sub will complete my home theatre which I have bought within the last 2 months (beamer,dvd-player,receiver,speakers,centre...). Somehow I got the hifi/ht-fever so that I already have plans to buy me the Klipsch RF-37 next year... Do you know them?

Well, but for the next few months I will enjoy my ht and try to stop the fever at least for a certain time...

There are many variables in movie reproduction. For example, the sub may cancel the bass from the mains, unless the distance setting and phase switch are just right. Actual distance may not be the best match.

Long story short is that settings and room modes have as much effect on bass as the subwoofer and speakers. If set optimally, you should get good results. Set poorly, you could have a 1000 watt amp driving a killer sub and get no bass, if you sit in a null.

You have a good subwoofer. Now you need to learn how to use it.

Bill

Who is making you pay $900 for the PB10? I wouldn't pay that either!

As a die hard FANBOY I'm quite curious.

And a doubling in amplifier power is true if all other factors remain equal including such things as enclosure size, build quality, and driver characteristics.

• 2 years later...

SVS PB10 for $900 !!!!!!!!!!!!! One would have to be IGNORANT to even pay close to that for two of these subs.

Take a look at Epik subwoofers and Elemental Designs subwoofers, for $900 you will get so much more it aint funny.

Yes $900 for the older cylinder SVS Ultra ,that makes more sense,not a PB10 or even two.