TV repair advice needed!

DizRotus

It's probably a lost cause, but if anyone knows a simple solution, please share it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The VCR part of our circa 1998 Philips Model CCZ092AT02, 9" AC/DC TV/VCR Combo seems to have died. That wouldn't be a problem if the TV would continue to work alone. Instead, even with no tape in the VCR, you can hear a motor running and the tape speed is displayed on the screen. After approximately 10 seconds, the TV turns itself off. Pushing the stop, eject, etc. buttons does nothing.

I opened it up, but it wasnt obvious how to disable the VCR without also disabling the TV. Have any suggestions, other than dropping it from a ten story building?

Im not optimistic about fixing it, but you never know the depth of the collective experience on this forum until you ask. Its not worth paying a diagnostic fee, and theres no harm in attempting a VCR-ectomy.

I bought a 13" Philips TV a couple of years ago. Somehow there was no owner's manual in the box and the store was useless so I contacted Philips. They wanted $15 to send me a new manual, they didn't have anything available online. I think it is a scam. The TV never worked right and I ended up tossing it. No more Philips for me.

Have a similar problem with a 20" Panasonic...TV is like brand new but the VCR took a dive and you cannot use the TV...weird...I took it apart as well and got no where...I hope someone has an idea on this...I will keep an eye on this thread as well as get you (and me) to the top.

Bill

rule 1: do not buy combo stuff. TVs last long. DVDs and VCRs break after a few years.

rule 2: when electronics under $150 breaks after warranty, throw in garbage: in other words set your expectations when buying low cost gear. It's gonna cost at least $75 to fix anything. For all the no-name stuff purchased thru discount retailers like Walmarts, there is probably no service available anyway after warranty.