Hiss from RB-75's

mtber101

The only speakers from klipsch that i've had other than my new 75's are the promedia stuff. They always had a hiss to them and klipsch said it was because of the gain being turned up on them.

However I just wondering if a hiss is normal on the 75's? The only time the hiss goes away is if the receiver has been muted. Any thoughts? Could it be my receiver?

Welcome to the world of revealing speakers. What you are most likely hearing is the noise floor for your particular receiver, which contains both a processor and amps inside the unit. Some processors and/or amps are noisier than others at idle (no sources playing) when the units are on. Even some of the more expensive preamps and/or amps I have run have not been completely and deadly silent at idle; there is usually some hiss or noise at idle. Since horns are revealing, you will hear any hiss or noise floor of your receiver at idle.

The question for you to decide is just how audible it is and whether it interferes with your movies and/or music enjoyment. Generally, if you can hear the hiss at your seating position - then you may want to consider an upgrade in that area. However, if there is a hiss at idle, audible just inches away from the speaker - that would be more normal on the relative scale of things.

Carl.

• Klipsch Employees

Most amps / receivers have some output even with the volume turned all the way down.

The klipsch products are so "easy" to drive that they will "play" even with the volume down.

The only way to fix this is get a better receiver / amp or use the mute a lot.

Better = a larger siginal to noise ratio. 105 or more... and damping factor 400 or more.

do you get a hiss or hum? did you have that hiss/hum before? if you still have you old speakers did you reconnect them and listen closely? is the hiss/hum still present at say 5% volume? Is your amp/cd/dvd earthed properly (if they are older or if you use a PHONO input)? are your carrier cables ballanced or unballanced? does it do it on Video1 Video2 Video3 Tunner or might have you on your amp ?

This are questions I'd askmyself first then try and put my finger on it but like someone mention ... "welcome to the world of revealing speakers" :)