La Scala Horn

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The original was made of 1/2" stock, later changed to 3/4" but keeping the outside dimensions the same.

I've made some wider to see if there was a difference, there isn't.

Anyone contemplating building a LaScala sized horn from scratch and trying different drivers would be advised to make it a bit wider on the driver mounting board as not all 15" woofers are exactly 15"

Giuseppe,

be careful of the plans you are using. at least one set, usually

seen in metric dimensions with notes in German, has a fatal flaw.

the upper front motorboard has the large hole for the K-400 horn

located too low. the lower edge of the hole needs to be at least

40mm above the bottom of the panel, otherwise the top panel of the

lower section and the lower flange of the K-400 horn occupy the same

space. Physics still doesn't allow this. :) Look carefully

at the drawings you have to see exactly how these pieces fit together,

make sure there's enough room for the horn flange above the top panel

of the lower section. In mine, it was a tight fit to get both

horns in, they almost touch. Good pictures of the interior of the

top section will show this to be true.

Point taken.

So in the new 1" variety,

are the channel widths the same - or is the overall cabinet dimensions

larger to account for the added thicknesses?

DM

The newer model is wider and deeper than the old model (assuming Jim's measurements are correct, and I think they are).

Bruce

Pratically a little difference of few mm (70/64 mm) is not important ... but I don't understand why the horn is larger in the first part of the duct than in the second. Is it correct? At the end is it fondamental for the final result ... the sound? Or my drawing is wrong?

I saw in a picture the new Klipsch La Scala II: with a cabinet of 1" (2,54 mm) I think that the woofer box should be built with a thinner material than 1"!

post-18631-13819276652052_thumb.jpg

The drawing would be wrong. The first flare would go out, but the

second part has no flare at all. The top and bottom of the cabinets are

parallel and the two sides are parallel. This will also work in HF

horns as well. But, the area at the end of the first flare is slightly

larger that the area of the second part.

Some models had them the same size, as in my next post, which in English measurements would be the 3 inches.

post-7149-13819276652892_thumb.jpg

Take it from me, kids, the side channels are SUPPOSED to be the same width as the throat channel width(s)...

It is possible that you could not hear a difference providing it doesn't vary by more than 1/4 inch or so.

This is probably a moot point in that the LS corners are left raw 90 degrees and that probably is far more detrimental to the sound than a slightly "thinner" side channel, that's for sure! Talk about reflections back toward the throat!

But then look at the stock throat splitting wedge! What a JOKE! Might as well leave it out completely! It is far more of a support than a splitter.

DM

Take it from me, kids, the side channels are SUPPOSED to be the same width as the throat channel width(s)...

It is possible that you could not hear a difference providing it doesn't vary by more than 1/4 inch or so.

This is probably a moot point in that the LS corners are left raw 90 degrees and that probably is far more detrimental to the sound than a slightly "thinner" side channel, that's for sure! Talk about reflections back toward the throat!

But then look at the stock throat splitting wedge! What a JOKE! Might as well leave it out completely! It is far more of a support than a splitter.

DM

If one were to build a LS bass bin from scratch, what changes would be recommended to reduce the reflections? It would seem that 'rounding' out the corners would be a start. Would changing the size of the deflector help as well?

If one were to build a LS bass bin from scratch, what changes would be recommended to reduce the reflections? It would seem that 'rounding' out the corners would be a start. Would changing the size of the deflector help as well?

Use Huygen-described reflectors as attached. Also for splitting wedge at throat.

post-13458-13819278198006_thumb.jpg

If one were to build a LS bass bin from

scratch, what changes would be recommended to reduce the

reflections? It would seem that 'rounding' out the corners would

be a start. Would changing the size of the deflector help as

well?

If you 'round' the corners you will lose more high end. If you are

going to do it, it would be better to make a hard reflection as D-MAN

shows in the drawing.

that's an interesting post as The la scala really doesn't have a flare. Bends at 90 gegrees.

Dman, I have looked at you patent pictures and given lots of thought to the way the jubilee is built. I have pondered in my head a reverse La scala with 90 degeree bends Instead of the turns in the above designs. What implications would that have on sound

jc

For instance, this is built purely on 90 degree angles. I am only putting this here to make a point and understand something. What does this right angle deflection due to the sound? The La scala seems to work well with a 90 travel, why not a reverse la scala like a jubilee but with (2) 90 degree turnes. I know it would be best to flare the side panels but this was for a quick draw.

post-16499-13819278236572_thumb.jpg