Cornwall w/ 400 vs. Cornwall w/ 600... What SHOULD the difference be??

bhendrix

I'm experimenting with a pair of 1983 Cornwalls. K33, K77, K52 with B-3 crossover. I removed the K52 mid driver from the 600 horn (plugged the horn) and installed it in a 400 horn (with 10" x 23" motorboard) on top of the Cornwall. My objective was to listen to the difference between the 400 and the 600.

It seems that, with the stock B-3 in both cabinets, the 400 has more depth / fullness compared to the 600. It also seems the 400 is a bit louder than the 600. This seems to make the 400 Corn unbalanced compared to stock. It seems the mid needs to be padded down a bit. Does this perception seem reasonable?

What difference, in theory, should the larger horn (400) make compared to the 600, when all other factors remain constant?

I know that this little experiment doesn't take full advantage of the 400 because the crossover has not yet been modified. Once the crossover is modified to 400Hz, will the squawker have to be padded down at the autoformer to balance to sound?

Should K52's even be run at 400, or would a K55 be better?

Thanks, Friends!!

The frequency response of the K52 driver fits the 600 HZ horn, likewise the K55 fits the 400, but would also work in a 600. The K55 has a 2" diaphragm, and the K52 has a 1.5" diaphragm, giving the K55 more advantage down low toward 400 and 500. The K52 does not really go well with a 400 horn, try the 55 for that. Uhhh.....you might want to seek professional help about your speaker purchasing problem....good grief, you've got too many speakers!!!! Incedently, if you've got a "threaded" pair of K52H's in mint condition, I'll trade you for a mint pair of K55V's

I have now, per Dean's instructions, installed a 6.8uF cap and a K-55V driver for the Cornscala. Now it sounds better ( more open, more transparent ) than the KHorns with the AK-2 crossover. Looks like it's time for some crossover work for the K's.

A couple of new questions come to mind, even after searching and reading all the crossover threads on both new and old forums. Like Michael Colter, I am really appreciating the opportunity to learn and the willingness of the great crossover masters to share with us grasshoppers.

Question 1:

The type A crossover and type B crossover differ only in the 4uF / 13uF caps and the taps on the T-2. The Cornscala is using the same drivers and horns as the KHorn. Why is the 4uF cap on the B for the Cornscala changed to 6.8uF instead of 13uF like the A?

Question 2:

My K's have K55M squawker drivers and AK-2's. Should I change to K55V drivers and some version of the A (AA, Super AA, Super Deluxe AA, Modified Pinnacle AA, etc., etc.) crossover or upgrade to AK-3's?

Thank You!!

Not sure why this hasn't been answered. Not the guru but here is the answer.

Question 1:

The type A crossover and type B crossover differ only in the 4uF / 13uF caps and the taps on the T-2. The Cornscala is using the same drivers and horns as the KHorn. Why is the 4uF cap on the B for the Cornscala changed to 6.8uF instead of 13uF like the A?

It's not that easy. The change of the taps on the autoformer has changed the relative impedance of the squawker. The Type A and Type B have different tap settings for the squawker. Therefore to calculate a crossing point of 400Hz, a different resistance (ohms) is used in the formula to come up with a different cap value.

Question 2:

My K's have K55M squawker drivers and AK-2's. Should I change to K55V drivers and some version of the A (AA, Super AA, Super Deluxe AA, Modified Pinnacle AA, etc., etc.) crossover or upgrade to AK-3's?

Don't change that driver. The "M" is good. As far as networks go, you could just change the caps on the AK-2 if not done yet, or switch to any of the above mentioned. Or go for the big guns Super AA, ALK A, or ESN.

jc