Built New AA Crossover Need Opinions

John Pearlman

I attached a picture of a new AA network I built for my LaScala restoration. I just wanted your opinions; I wired it with monster cable and used the stock Klipsch inductors and new GE caps. My concern is the wiring;as you can see it is all over the place and I am concered about any interference this may create. I sort of copied the stock layout because anything more spread out would've been a waste of space in my opinion. If you guys have a better layout idea I'd be glad to hear it. I haven't listened to it yet because the speakers themselves are still undergoing restoration but I wanted your opinions before I do the second one.

John,

My opinion is that you did a fine job build the AA clone. The wire lengths mean absolutely nothing. They are fine just as they are. The only problem is that the AA network is not worth building! It is a totally outmoded design. Now that you have a "new" AA as a baseline, I suggest you build my Universal replacement network or Dean's "Super AA" and see how much difference a modern design can make! The AA has an impedance curve that goes all over the place (up to 30 Ohms in the midrange). It runs the squawker all the way to 20 Khz for no good reason and has a tweeter filter that is symmetrical ("constant K") which requires the same impedance on both input and output. It should be singly-terminated to operate from a voltage source (an amp) and an 8 Ohms termination.

Now: Aren't you sorry you asked! [6]

Al K.

Yeah I'll probably build a set of yours Al once I finish the speakers. I also thought about the 90 degree connectors but I have some rubber caps I wanted to use on the capacitor terminals so they 90 degree terminals wouldn't work out. However, in my effort to use short lengths, I made the wires too short to exit out the top of the rubber caps if I installed them. I think the next one will be Al's though, that seems like a good idea.

John