Alas... My surround cubbies have been framed in.

m00n

First, I want to say that I'm not done with my room yet. Yes it looks messy, I still have to do some acoustic work and then comes the decore.

It was a lot of work, a HUGE pain in the place that I sit on. I put this job off for almost 2 full years. But I finally have it done and it's well worth it. The surrounds sound so much better now. I can hear them, where as before, they were sitting up on pillars and they were way too high. My only beef is that I wish I had about 2 more feet of space on each side of the room making the room 14 foot wide rather than 10 feet.

Now I can get back to the acoustic nightmare that old post of mine that artto and I were working in... ( http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/266513/ShowPost.aspx )

Looking towards the rear of the room from the front.

http://www.m00n.net/m00ncinemas/images/cubby/front2back.jpg

Left Side

http://www.m00n.net/m00ncinemas/images/cubby/leftside.jpg

Right Side

http://www.m00n.net/m00ncinemas/images/cubby/rightside.jpg

This is what the intrusion looks like in my shop.

http://www.m00n.net/m00ncinemas/images/cubby/surroundcubbyconstruction.jpg

Again this is what the intrusion looks like in my shop. They didn't take up too much space

http://www.m00n.net/m00ncinemas/images/cubby/surroundcubbyconstructionboth.jpg

Showing how far the RC7s stick out from the wall and the degree of tilt towards the seating

http://www.m00n.net/m00ncinemas/images/cubby/surroundcubbyprofile.jpg

Showing the amount of space behind and to the sides of the RC7s

http://www.m00n.net/m00ncinemas/images/cubby/surroundupclose.jpg

you have been busy...

So...the grills going on?

How ya gonna hide the straps holding the speakers?

The grills will go on, but I have to take my round file and file off some of the L-bracket that's screwed to the bottom of the cubbie. it sticks up just enough to keep the grill from sliding in place. The speaker wires will be actually re-routed so they come in from the back and hidden.

As far as the straps, well... The orange straps will be replaced with black ones. From there, I really don't know. It will be done somehow with the decore. I haven't figured that out yet. Possibly some decorative drapry.

The room will eventually be red, gold, black, and cream colored cloth materials. The seats will eventually be redone as well.

Moon,

I was interested in your thoughts on a more direct sound, rather than the spread RS-7 sound?

Well... Hard question to answer. It's been so long since I've had RS7s. Here is what I remember about the difference in a nutshell..

RC7s more detail, more pronounced

RS7s better overall ambiance

If I was to do it again, I would still go with the RC7s.

Holy Crap, m00n! That is a lot of work! Don't be bangin' yer noggin on those corners sticking out into your shop! **YEOUCH!**.

Did the sound improve to as great a level as you expected? It's great that the effort required was worth the bother. That's always the scary part: Trying to get results to equal the work involved. Those babies sure did have to be tipped-out a long way to accomodate the outside seats. It looks like you tried to think of everything. We sure do appreciate all of the pictures. It's been a long time since we've all gotten a look back inside your theater. Nice job, my friend. It'll be intersting to see your finishing touches.

• 1 month later...

Wow mOOn... nice overlapping joints on your framing! I can see your'e putting some of that woodworking equipment to work [;)] It takes a true woodworker to actually put some thought into different joints, methods of framing... I mean anyone could have just cut them on a 45 & slap some nails in the ends lol... Nice Work!

You should totally put some dramatic lighting behind the speakers shining up. I'll have to see if I can find some pics online, but it's done quite frequently at the tops of pillars and stuff...so you prob know what I'm talking about.

Yeah I've thought about it. If you have some pics, share them. =)

Right now I'm working on my cornwalls, but after they are done, I plan on getting the acoustics and decore done in my theater next.

Wow mOOn... nice overlapping joints on your framing! I can see your'e putting some of that woodworking equipment to work [;)] It takes a true woodworker to actually put some thought into different joints, methods of framing... I mean anyone could have just cut them on a 45 & slap some nails in the ends lol... Nice Work!

Oh man.. no way I would trust simple 45 degrees and nails. Not with how heavy and expensive these RC7s are. I built a crude tennoning jig for my table saw and went for it. They are not fine wood working worthy, but they are more than good enough for the crude framing.

Thanks!

Rick

Man.....that looks like it took some doing. You're a brave man to cut big as* holes in sheetrock. [:)]

Some questions tho'.....why did you decide to stand them up versus laying them on their sides? Seems to me that esthetically it would've been nicer and I doubt the sound would suffer. I'm also curious as to why there's so much room on either side of the speaker.

BTW, I have an idea on how you can retain the speaker from falling out of the cavity. You might disregard this crazy as* idea since it requires affixing something to the back of the speaker. My idea is to mount a simple bracket such as a conduit clamp to the upper 1/4th of the back of the cabinet. Then, attach a piece of multi-strand cable (stainless or plastic coated if ya wanna get fancy) to the bracket, run it directly back through the back wall of the cavity, and affix it somehow. This would eliminate that Rube Goldberg strap thing you got going on. [:P] [:)]

Tom

Some questions tho'.....why did you decide to stand them up versus laying them on their sides? Seems to me that esthetically it would've been nicer and I doubt the sound would suffer. I'm also curious as to why there's so much room on either side of the speaker.

When the search function gets back up and running you'll need to go check out moon's HT threads....pages upon pages of thinking about a bajillion things. He has tried all sorts of crazy stuff and he really likes the sound of his RC-7's mounted that way.

All the room around the speaker is there to account for the rear port - if he made the cubbies too small, he would have drastically changed the tuning of the cabinet - and he's already fighting a congested sound as it is.

Tom, it was a huge pain in the keester. I knew it was going to be, which is why it took me about 2 years to get started on it. I had to get up into the attic space and saw into some HUGE trusses to get the spacing I needed.

As far as standing up, vs. laying down as normal? Well... In my lack of audio wisdom, it seemed natural to me that standing up would prevent audio anomolies. I know that many still want to slap me for having 2 sets of side surrounds. But hey.... I like to bend the rules and I had reasons. [:)]

And yes as Who mentions, they are rear ported so I tried to create as much space as feasable behind them.

J-malotky, yes, the right surrounds are on the same channel as well as the lefts being on their own channel. I have not noticed any delay at all. My receiver has the ability to power the normal set of surrounds as well feed my external amp the exact same signal though the pre-outs.

If I wasn't working on my cornwalls, I would be in there getting my acoustics and decore done. But... Ho-hum...