Rick's re-capped AA loaners

Jeff Matthews

"On your part, I wouldn't even worry about ALK's, etc. until you've heard these."

It's like saying to not bother trying a Johnathan apple because you can't tell the difference between a 3 month old Red Delicious and a fresh one!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looks like we'll probably at least 'start' testing tonight. Hubby wanted to test with some gadget (I've been too sick to ask what it is). He didn't want to rely solely on ear - he wants to 'see'. Was supposed to get the Mic for this on NYE but the guy who's borrowing it was sick & didn't show. Hubby's getting the mic tonight. I think we're going to put each speaker in a mono port, then a/b them that way as ONE listening test. But first we have to ensure both speakers as they are now are on as equal a playing field as we can get them.

Jeff - you said you tested with some old Steely Dan and "might" have heard a difference? Can you remind me as to what song? Hubby has some old SD around here somewhere. And where/what exactly did you hear an improvement on? Was it across all tones or just in certain high ranges, etc?

"On your part, I wouldn't even worry about ALK's, etc. until you've heard these."

It's like saying to not bother trying a Johnathan apple because you can't tell the difference between a 3 month old Red Delicious and a fresh one!

You're right on that, Dean, if you read it one way, but I meant it like she might see a positive improvement and stick with what she has found via Rick.

I would think to really test out the updated xover a person would install them both and listen for a week or so to lots of different music and then decide. Just hooking one of them up for a short listen wouldn't give me a good indication of changes. Lots of changes are subtle and might take some time to realize. JMO

In other words, Jeff, you really ought to give them a longer listen. Again, JMO.

Jeff - you said you tested with some old Steely Dan and "might" have heard a difference? Can you remind me as to what song? Hubby has some old SD around here somewhere. And where/what exactly did you hear an improvement on? Was it across all tones or just in certain high ranges, etc?

It was "Hey Nineteen." I heard the 2-count and 4-count going simultaneously on the high-hat and wasn't sure if I heard it that way before - that was why I said, "maybe." After going back to the old xovers, it was there, too.

Dean said: " I would just like to say that out of the hundreds of users who have done this -- Jeff is the FIRST to report the impact in this way." I am trying to ignore this mess, but - Yeah, what Dean said. Jeff, Please send me your old crossovers and let me test them on a spectrum analyzer and let me test your capacitors. That will not cost you anything except shipping to me. Bob

Are you wanting them for your curiosity's sake? Because my curiosity is pretty settled. I'm happy with them.

I would think to really test out the updated xover a person would install them both and listen for a week or so to lots of different music and then decide. Just hooking one of them up for a short listen wouldn't give me a good indication of changes. Lots of changes are subtle and might take some time to realize. .

Kinda what I was thinking. I've been following this thread from the beginning (I guess I have no life). Seemed like an awfully short test. One or two songs in a quick "A/B". Not sure if Jeff pulled the speakers fromt he corners and set them side by side for a reasonably unbiased A/B or not. I applaud meagain's hubby for pulling out the test equipment to test BOTH before and after for a decent comparison. We'll see...

Dean - I currently have 1981 Klipschorns with AA's. 3dzapper's are AA's with new caps. Going to see if there's a difference. Still waiting for hubby to get home with the mic plus when he does he has another project to deal with.

I suspect we might not even get to the 'swap for the new ones' till tomorrow at this point. We'll see. Sorry I'm taking so long.

Jeff,

Send them on out here and I will test and fully disclose all results. If your old Aerovox caps are like the fine example in this picture, I will pronounce you well and truly deaf. Most likely though, yours are better than this one.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819278775852_thumb.jpg

I would think to really test out the updated xover a person would install them both and listen for a week or so to lots of different music and then decide. Just hooking one of them up for a short listen wouldn't give me a good indication of changes. Lots of changes are subtle and might take some time to realize. .

Kinda what I was thinking. I've been following this thread from the beginning (I guess I have no life). Seemed like an awfully short test. One or two songs in a quick "A/B". Not sure if Jeff pulled the speakers fromt he corners and set them side by side for a reasonably unbiased A/B or not. I applaud meagain's hubby for pulling out the test equipment to test BOTH before and after for a decent comparison. We'll see...

I'm with you on your reasoning and suggestions, but I want to re-state about my perspective. My perspective is that of a non-ever-tweaker. If I don't hear it right there on the spot, and if I have to "guess-around," then, for me, it's just not too important a difference. I know that probably doesn't go for everyone. But that's sort of a rule of how I would consider myself capable of being influenced.