Might be getting my first Klipsch speakers tomorrow - need advice

whtboy

I would almost bet he does. His e-mail is putnaty@sbcglobal.net.

I've had my Corns for 20-years since about age 18. They've been all over the place as I've moved around. Had them in an apartment twice and also in small rooms. They still always sounded good. I'd jusy stick w/Corns if you like their sound. But whatever....

On this guy, though. They have so much hi-fi crap lying around, be aware that he'd probably pick up the first/easiest receiver to hook up in order to let you hear them. That's what he did when auditioning my KHorns. As I did, you should make him take the time to hook up a real amp. He won't whine, and he'll do it. Hearing them through a good amp is all the difference in the world. Good luck....

I sent that gentleman an email inquiring if he has anything he wants to part with. I looked up the specs on the Cornwalls and I remember them being quite a bit bigger than 35.75" x 25.5" x 15.5". I suppose I was quite a bit smaller back then. All the better for me =)

I'm eager to see if he has anything to sell. Listening to them on a stock receiver wouldn't be that bad anyway since that's what I am going to be driving them with, at least initially.

Thanks for the hookup Jeff! Btw, my name is Jacob. I think my old username was jmartinson... gotta see if I can still access it.

-jacob

Sorry to here your klf20 deal fell through,you would have been

very,very happy with em'.The Corns are nice also just a little wide for

me.The 20's can do most any music well but for Rock they kick.I've got

a few set ups with much more invested but I love the 20's for 2ch.I run

75 watts HK to the 20's and need no external amp,on my rf7's I run 200

and need em'.I paid 550 for my 20's from a member(Thanks Todd)in "mint

condition",it took me 2 years to find the right pair.

I'm a sucker for immediate gratification, no patience whatsoever. That has bitten me a number of times and I often get things I don't like in the long run.

I'm going to put the cash in an envelope, stick it somewhere safe and keep watching. Thanks!

No one has come out and said it explicitly, but it seems like people have a more faith in the older Klipsch speakers while some of the newest/latest ones don't seem to offer as much bang for the buck. Is that true?

-j

I just don't understand people. If what I really wanted were Cornwalls, I wouldn't settle for anything less. Life is too short. It's like making love to a woman and wishing she were someone else.

Uh yeah, like you've never done that!

Not if he either bought the right speakers the first time ....................

.................................................... or

....................................................... bought a 12-pack with the speakers. [;)]

I'm a sucker for immediate gratification, no

patience whatsoever. That has bitten me a number of times and I

often get things I don't like in the long run.

I'm going to put the cash in an envelope, stick it somewhere safe and keep watching. Thanks!

No

one has come out and said it explicitly, but it seems like people have

a more faith in the older Klipsch speakers while some of the

newest/latest ones don't seem to offer as much bang for the buck.

Is that true?

-j

whtboy,

3 words: Get the Corns.

You remembered liking the sound. You have a budget that comes pretty close.

Worse case scenario-provided you stay on budget, you can sell them for what you have into them.

This way you can hook them up in your system and decide for

yourself. The Cornwalls have a unique sound. At a decent

price in like condition, they are a pretty low risk proposition.

Stick around the forum for a while and you'll end up with a pair.

Good luck!

Paul

I just don't understand people. If what I really wanted were Cornwalls, I wouldn't settle for anything less. Life is too short. It's like making love to a woman and wishing she were someone else.

Uh yeah, like you've never done that!

Guilty-- that's how I know it's less than an ideal situation.

But I did go for the gusto when I bought my first speakers: Klipschorns with a Belle center.

This is a long post - I tried to make it as concise as possible but...

We watched a couple movies today & I didn't notice any EM interference like I did with my Ensembles.

The left tweeter is out though. I'm going to order a new set of diaphragms and possibly new caps from Bob Crites tomorrow.

I have a lot of mixed feelings at this point. These are definitely the best speakers I have ever personally owned - much better dynamics than the Ensembles they replaced.

There seems to be little frequency/signal seperation between the woofer, squawker and tweeter. Listening to "The Full Custom Gospel Sounds" by The Reverend Horton Heat the lead vocals are reproduced through all three drivers. The vocals coming through the woofer sound like I would expect vocals to sound being played through a 15" paper cone woofer - muffled with a hollow echoey feel. The same vocals through the squawker are full volume, reasonably detailed, very "in your face" and clear. Same vocals again through the tweeter are very clear, not quite as loud as the squawker, and also backed up by all the really high pitched stuff - breath, lead guitar, cymbals, etc.

Is it normal for some midrange frequencies to be reproduced at audible levels through all three drivers, or is there something wrong with my networks?

I don't have the vocabulary to accurately describe the difference between the sound I was expecting and the sound I have. To explain my two points of reference, I have heard two setups that really stood out in my mind. The first was my uncle's Cornwalls back around 1988. He had a moderately priced amp, preamp (and a dynamics expander thing - but I think he had it turned off) and the first CD player I ever heard. He played the Wall and some classical piece - both had a huge sound, very big, dynamic and (to me) real. The dynamics were incredible and it was like nothing I had ever heard before.

My second memorable experience was a pair of Martin Logans (along with some ridiculously priced electronics, each component probably costing more than my mom's car) in a high end audio store somewhere in Houston. They didn't have the rock concert-like sound of the Cornwalls, but they did have a very delicate, extremely detailed and life-like, beautiful sound.

My current setup consists of the Cornwalls (10P980 & 10P981, running on the original network and with only one tweeter), a Yamaha Natural Sound A/V receiver and a Sony CD player. D/A conversion is being done in the receiver. I'm using 10' lengths of 16 gauge Monster cable between the receiver and cabinets.

I've got the speakers about 6" away from the back wall, approximately 36" apart and slightly toed in so my listening position is on-axis. My listening spot is about 7' back from the cabinets on a couch against the opposing wall.

They sound good but not nearly what I was expecting. Some albums don't sound very good on them, but I'm starting to think some recordings are just a *lot* better than others. Even on the better sounding recordings though, I would say the sound is sort of veiled, kind of how is sounds when you are listening from another room, but not quite that bad. Some sounds will come across with a reasonable amount of detail while others seem muffled and flat. It isn't *as* bad with the grills off, but it's still there.

Some of the midrange frequencies seem to resonate and are produced louder than the surrounding notes, which is very annoying/painful when the average sound level is right at the edge of my comfort zone.

Obviously the fact that one of the tweeters is out doesn't make evaluating them any easier, so I'm going to withhold final judgement until I get new ones in. Is it possible my squawkers are "worn out" or experiencing some other phenomenon that would make them sound less than ideal?

Are my aging capacitors to blame? How much of a difference would it likely make if I replace them? How much difference does an alternate network design make?

Has anyone had any luck with adding absorptive material to the inside of the cabinet to help minimize the hollow/resonant midrange sounds that come from the woofer?

Is my "Big Mac" receiver really to blame? I'm inclined to scoff at high end electronics but that's probably just because I can't afford them.

Lastly, is it possible my 29 year old ears just don't hear the details as well as they did when I was twelve? I still seem to be able to hear many high pitched sounds other people can't, but I have a constant ringing in both my ears with the right ear being about half an octave higher than the left. Or maybe I'm just not as impressionable anymore?

I'm sure there are a lot of different opinions on all this, but any opinions that are based on real experiences are better than what I've got now - which is no clue!

What do you guys think?

Thanks for all your input!!!

-jacob

Okay, congrats. You got a good deal on those.

First, when you're missing a tweet on one side, even as small as that tiny speaker is, your sound will be like crap. With that speaker gone from your system, the sound from the other might as well just be in mono because it is. Does it make your music sound like it would if it was being played on a cranked-up AM station?

I wouldn't fight with the issue too hard until you get that replacement tweeter installed.