Marantz SR7200 vs. Denon 2802

oogins

After a couple months of researching, I have narrowed my choices down to these two receivers. The specs for these receivers are very close.

They are both 6.1, support DPL II, and close in power output. Denon is 6x90 watts, Marantz is 6x105 watts. The Denon has the adjustable crossover at 80, 100, 120 Hz. The Marantz is set at 100 Hz. Both are good choices for my Quintets because they only go down to 100 Hz. Also the cost is relatively the same. The Denon is 50 bucks cheaper.

Now here's where the decision gets hard. The Denon has inputs for 5.1 while the Marantz has inputs for 6.1. The Denon supports DTS-ES while the Marantz only supports DTS 6.1 Matrix. The Denon has 96kHz/24 bit DACs while the Marantz has 192kHz/24 bit DACs. Lastly, the Denon is made in Japan and the Marantz is made in China.

I went to A&B Sound last weekend, a dealer for both brands, to audition them. I listened to the Marantz and it was great. Unfortunately, they didn't have the Denon hooked up so I couldn't hear it. The salesman told me that because both the Denon and Marantz are excellent receivers, that I wouldn't be disappointed with either choice. I think he was just saying that so he wouldn't have to setup the Denon for me. He also told me there's really no difference between DTS-ES and DTS 6.1 Matrix. I dont know if this is true, but I took his word for it. At that point, I decided to get the Marantz, even though I didn't listen to the Denon.

So what's the point of this post you say? Well last night I was browsing though Home Theater Forum and came across this thread. It explains that S&V Magazine reviewed the Marantz and the results were quite disappointing. It only output 29 wpc in 5 channel mode and 27 wpc in 6 channel mode. Also there was plenty of noise. When I auditioned it, I didn't hear any noise, and it was turned up LOUD. Well this information has discouraged me from buying the Marantz.

So I'm back to square one. I want the Marantz because of all its features, but the terrible review from S&V is making me lean toward the Denon. Can you guys suggest anything?

------------------

-Paul

AMD T-Bird 900

Asus A7V

Micron 256 MB PC-133

IBM 30 GB 7200 rpm ATA 100

Pioneer DVD-105 Slot-Load (16X/40X)

3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

NEC MultiSync M700 17" (soon to be Sony F520 21")

SB Live! X-Gamer 5.1

Receiver: Kenwood VR-409 (soon to be Denon 2802 or Marantz SR7200)

Speakers: Klipsch Quintets (5 sats + center)

Sub: Sony SA-W305 (soon to be Carver Knight Shadow or Paradigm PW-2200)

This message has been edited by oogins on 10-15-2001 at 12:05 AM

I would wait and see what the response is from Marantz and S&V. It is very possible that the receiver was a lemon, and isn't representative of the actual receiver. It sounds very unlike Marantz. What is also weird is that it had a lot of power in two channel mode. It almost sounds like one of the amps was bad in the other channels. As far as the noise, that could also just be something bad causing it.

I know there is a lot of hoopla over this at the forum (heck I have posted about it over there). What irks me is the poeple mad at S&V for posting their findings, and these are the same people who complain about the magazines being soft on manufacturers. But if it is their beloved brand they go crazy!

I myself am a Denon man, and would recommend Denon highly. However, I would urge you to see if you could afford the 3802. I have it, and it is one superb receiver for the price. The 2802 isn't bad, but the 3802 shares a lot more in common with the 4802 and 5800 (DDSC and 7 channels of power built in).

Bryan

------------------

"... But Honey - I promise this is the last thing I will have to buy for the Home Theater"

Mistubishi VS60603 60" RPTV

Denon AVR 3802 Receiver

Denon DVM 1800 DVD Changer

JVC 3600U SVHS VCR

RCA DirecTV Satellite Tuner

Klipsch RB5 - Mains

Klipsch RC3 - Center

Klipsch RCW3 - In-wall Surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 - Sub (hopefully an RSW12 whenever they come out!)

Monster Power Conditioner HTS1000

Acoustic Research Pro Series Interconnects

This message has been edited by bacevedo on 10-14-2001 at 11:48 PM

A buddy of a buddy bought a SR7200 and had me over to install and tweak it for him. Well after setting it all up and letting him listen to it for a week......he removed it and returned it to the store. He said it lacked the power he was looking for, had alot of noise, and just was a POS compared to his old Onkyo pro logic unit.

When I was there setting it up, I wasn't impressed by it at all. The remote was really difficult to work with, the OSD wasn't that good to help you at all, and the power output wasn't nearly the 105w it was supposed to be. He ended up returning the Marnantz and getting a Yamaha unit and is much happier now.

So if I were you, I would look at the Denon 2802. I have had great luck with Denon, and they are very easy to work with along with being rock solid units.

Good Luck

------------------

Klipsch Quartets - fronts

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KG 1.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KG .5's - rear side surrounds

SVS 16-46PC subwoofer (very soon)

Denon AVR-4800

Denon POA-5200 THX Amp (fronts)

Sony C-67ES CD Player

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

Monster Cable M-series Speaker Cable and subwoofer cable

Monster Component, S-Video, and Optical cables

RS HT Gold Interconnects

Myram,

It is very interesting to hear that story!

Over at HTF, there is a whole bunch of hoopla over this. People claiming their Marantz kicks ***. But almost all of them have a different receiver than the 7200! Their recievers could very well kick ***.

I wonder if either the 7200 is really just a POS, or has a manufacturing defect that they will have to recall and fix. Or maybe it is just a really bad QC issue, and several make it out the door like this. I have heard several people say the same thing as your friend, which leads me to believe the S&V article is pretty accurate. Maybe some people just haven't heard the clean sound of a Denon, and like that "warm" (aka distorted, under-powered, noisy sound) of the Marantz. Smile.gif Just kidding!

Whatever happened with that Onkyo 696 issue in S&V? Was it a lemon - or is it really that under powered?

Bryan

oogins

I just purchased the 2802 and am very pleased with it. It replaced a Denon 3200, which worked hard for 2 years, but lacked many features compared to the newer recievers. The biggest of these was DTS, now I have DTS ES and love it. PLII is great I never thought I would use it, but I found that watching TV movies is fun again. PLII is great.

I have never listened to the Marantz receivers so I cant say much about it.

If you have any questions about the Denon feel free to fire away at me.

Earle

Count me as a vote for the Denon 2802.

------------------

Reciever: Denon AVR3200

Speakers: Klipsch KG4.2's/KG2.2v/KSB 3.1's/SVS 20-39's

Amps: B&K Ref 4022(mains)/Fidek 600 watt(subs)

DVD: Toshiba 3109

Laser Disc: Pioneer CLD-1090

TV: Sony 32" monitor

2 pair of Aura Bass Shakers

well oorgins i have been looking at the Denon avr-2802 for some while now. Looks like it has alot of good features and on what i hear Denon is top dawg. my dad has a 2 channal reciever and it kicks ***. I got a new Sony 27" vega tv that i just bought from my local audio & video store and planing on expanding my Home Theater. I also plan on using this reciever to play my mp3 off my computer, thats anthor thing will it work and decode the bitstream or whatever you call and play the mp3? will i get 4.1 sound or 2.1? i need some help on this kind of stuff. the reason i am asking is cuz the salesmen at the audio and video store told me that it would not work, i would need to buy a Harmon Kardon so it can work with mp3s. i told him it was bullsh!t but you never know thats why i am asking, he said it would need some PCM crap. well if it works with the Denon well then its all good. i have the GTXP sound card so it would easily hook up. the speakers i plan on using are the ssi surround and the sci center, sbb main bookself and the ksw10 sub, maybey the ksw12, tell me on what all of you guys think and correct me if am wrong or need better or lower speakers or what

i just want somthing good. iam only 18 and work at wendys so i dont earn that much cash but i am saving up for my reciever but stil tell me on what you guys think. thanks

quote:

Originally posted by bacevedo:

I myself am a Denon man, and would recommend Denon highly. However, I would urge you to see if you could afford the 3802. I have it, and it is one superb receiver for the price. The 2802 isn't bad, but the 3802 shares a lot more in common with the 4802 and 5800 (DDSC and 7 channels of power built in).

The 3802 is mighty tempting. I was thinking I should get it instead of the 2802, but the main thing that's stopping me is the lack of a Main A/B switch. I plan on buying some Reference speakers, most likely RB5 II's, for music. Another thing that's stopping me from getting the 3802 is that it seems a little overkill for my Quintets. Also, I could risk blowing them if I turn it up too loud. The DDSC feature sounds nice but I wonder why it isn't on the 2802, it was on the 2801. cwm25.gif

Anyway, I think I'm gonna go with the 2802. I've decided not to go with the Marantz. Besides, I already have a DCM-370 CD player, and it'll go nicely with a Denon receiver. cwm1.gif

------------------

-Paul

AMD T-Bird 900

Asus A7V

Micron 256 MB PC-133

3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

SB Live! X-Gamer 5.1

Receiver: Kenwood VR-409 (soon to be Denon 2802)

Oogins - what do yo mean by a lack of an A/B switch? It looks to me like the 3802 has one - it is a second zone. You can use the two extra channels and play a second set of speakers at a different volume on a different (or the same) source.

I don't think the 3802 would kill your speakers. It may be overkill for now, but what if you decide to upgrade your speakers? The 3802 could be your receiver for a while.

Just some thoughts.

Bryan

Bacevedo:

The A/B switch is for the rear channels, not the mains. As for the multizone, they share the same binding posts with the surround backs and I plan on using a rear center speaker. If I wanted to use the multizone for the RB5's, I would need to use the preouts, thus I would need another amp. If I were able to afford it, I would do it. But I'm still in highschool and money is hard to come by.

I suppose an alternative will be to just get the 3802, and instead of saving up for a separate amp, I could get some RB5's and an RC3 to upgrade my front speakers, and then continue using 4 Quintets for surrounds. I think I'll put off buying RS3's until I get my own place. This would probably be a cheaper route and most likely better sounding. Smile.gif

------------------

-Paul

AMD T-Bird 900

Asus A7V

Micron 256 MB PC-133

3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

SB Live! X-Gamer 5.1

Receiver: Kenwood VR-409 (soon to be Denon 3802)

This message has been edited by oogins on 10-19-2001 at 06:44 PM