Buzzing La Scala!

DizRotus

I think I need to add braces to the bass bins of the La Scalas that I restored for the high school. If anyone has drawings or photos Id be grateful.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Theres definitely a vibration in the side panel on only one of the speakers. If I tap the panel it sounds almost as if theres a void or loose ply, but theres no external evidence of a flaw. Im going to experiment with braces before going to the permanent wooden braces.

Whats with the search function directing you to Google? I dont think Im going to like that. I tried to find earlier posts, but had to punt.

I'm not sure of anything. Nevertheless, the problem seems to be located in the outside panel of one bass bin. No wires are in contact with it. I took off the bottom to confirm that the woofer is tight and that the wires to the woofer aren't vibrating against the insides of the dog house or the woofer basket. If I apply pressure to the center of the panel, from the outside or the inside the bass horn, the noise goes away.

sounds like you have a delamintion of the plywood

why not take a small nut and bolt, drill a hole in the offending panel and counter sink the outside hole so its not as visalbe and get rid of that buzz

put a large washer in the inside to load a larger portion of the panel

jay

I think I need to add braces to the bass bins of the La Scalas that I restored for the high school. If anyone has drawings or photos Id be grateful.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Theres definitely a vibration in the side panel on only one of the speakers. If I tap the panel it sounds almost as if theres a void or loose ply, but theres no external evidence of a flaw. Im going to experiment with braces before going to the permanent wooden braces.

Whats with the search function directing you to Google? I dont think Im going to like that. I tried to find earlier posts, but had to punt.

Hi DizRotus

It is most likely the natural side panel resonance because of the fact that it is such a large area with no bracing. Many years ago I owned a pair and if I Tapped the side panel toward the middle of the front of the side panel mine would sound like a cracked baseball bat. I like you at first thought it was some plywood failure but eventually realised it was just a side panel resonance. So I spoke with Klipsch about it. Klipsch is aware that the La Scalas side panels can do this but because of production issues(bracing because of space variances between the doghouse and side panel consistancy in production) and for cosmetic reasons they accepted it.

Anyway if this is your problem and you don't mind the looks of the bracing between the doghouse and sidepanel that would be your best solution.

mike[:)]

Jay -

I agree with you about delaminating, but Mike speaks with the voice of experience. The nut, bolt and washer idea occurred to me. Several luckily placed wood screws could also work, but I'm reluctant to turn the thing into Swiss cheese.

If temporary braces solve the problem, when installing permanent braces, I'll try to put a screw through the side panel and into the brace right where I suspect delaminating.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Mike-

You are probably correct about the resonance. In any event, I expect that additional bracing will solve the problem. I'll post the results.

Thanks to both of you.

Neil,

I think djk showed a temporary brace that was a 2x4 or 2x6 with a "v" notch to match the doghouse point, and then used a pipe clamp to hold it in place while you turned up the volume. Here's a quick sketch of the idea:

post-7149-1381927903849_thumb.jpg

The quick amd temporary fix was to wedge wooden rods in the 3" gaps between the inside of the side panels and the straight edges of the dog houses before the "roof" begins. The band director professed to hearing a difference. Unless he again claims to hear buzzing, I'll eventually fashion more permanent braces.

FWIW, I stll think the primary problem is poor recordings. If it sounds bad at low volume, it aint going to sound better at high volume. Nevertheless, there was a weird sound when tapping one side panel, which is now absent, and the braces can't hurt.

post-8936-13819279107252_thumb.jpg