How do i convert Universal ALKs to 2-way? (refer to second page) --thread recycled

tofu

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Al will kill me here as he should answer this. However, entertain this.

I started by removing the ALK label as I don't want anyone to think this is a AL's idea. NOT OFFICIAL.

I would assume you would want to remove the bandpass for starters....the 3.0mHy. As you would want ALL frequencies above 400Hz going to the 902T.

For 2nd order squawker....try the schematic as shown. If you want first order, remove the parallel inductor on the sqwauker and change the cap to 50uF. The first cap on the sqwauker could be a little miscalculated but the principle is there.

To just try it, leave it at 40uF (30+1), remove all that goes to the tweeter and remove the 3.0mHy amd the 2.2uF just after it.

Good luck...I would have the guts to try it.

jc

post-16499-13819279216234_thumb.jpg

No!

wait...to make it second order, remove that 2.2uF and add the 3.4mHy in parallel. You probably don't have one. Therefore, just remove that 2.2uf parallel with the sqwawker. This will be first order high and low pass. To get to the second order...you will need new parts. Note, this will be first order with a contant impedance on the Sqwauker. Not an ALK.

Tofu. I gotta run an errand. Help you more when I get back.

It wouldn't be exact but you could use that 3.0mHy inductor and run it parrallel instead of series to get to second order. The "crossing over" wouldn't be exact but will work. Can't use any of the 2.2uF.

So again...either just the 40uF where it is alone for first order or the addition of the 3.0mHy in PARALLEL for second order. I'm sure you will have to fiddle with taps to get what you want.

"ah, a 6db slope (first order) doesn't sound too attractive to me"

That is what you are already running now. The woofer/squawker crossover

in Al's Type A is first order. It is the tweeter/squawker crossover

that is third order I think. From your last schematic I think you also

need to remove the 2.2uf cap to ground on the squawker, that is part of

the low pass on the squawker which you don't want.

Try it first order as a two way first to make sure you like the high

end response before thinking about the ES networks. If you decide you

like and want to go with the ESs mine are still available FS BTW. ;)

Shawn

if i use jc's schematic and use my leftover caps that i'll be removing

to get my 40uf to around 50, about how badly will my crossover point be

off if i stick with with the .30mh inductor?

a higher crossover point wouldn't be bad if that's the case...

Tofu. That XO point will be fairly close to test it. But I hate to see you make chop suey out of you network.

Easy trial for you. Do just what the attached schematic shows. Just get an alligator clip with wire or solder a wire like the yellow line shows. Disconnect the inputs to tap 5 W/O REMOVING THE RESISTOR. You basically now have jumped from the 40uF cap to tap 5. In a nice way stop the input to the twweter section.

Yes this is First order w/o destroying your ALK.

This isn't such a bad thing. Think of it as a quick Super AA or DHA going two way. I think it will sound good. I think you will then see the benefits of your 902T.

Just don't crank it

post-16499-13819279218554_thumb.jpg

I think my above suggestion will work for testing and I think you will be pleased. Don't crank it. IB Slammin has a 902 crossed at 400Hz and likes it but doesn't turn the volume full blast to challenge it.

Since the pro has jumped in...I will shut up for now.

jc i have no problem with rewiring anything (i've been too lazy to solder it together and everything is just crimped/twisted for now). i guess my laziness paid off!

i just don't want to have to order more parts at the moment. been spending enough money as it is.

i'm really looking for the best way to go with what i'm working with right now.