How do i convert Universal ALKs to 2-way? (refer to second page) --thread recycled

tofu

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dean,

22+22 uF in place of the 40 uF is pushing the crossover even lower than 400 Hz. That isn't wise. Are you sure about those numbers? 40 uF and 3 mHy to ground sharpens the skirt and actually moves the crossover up slightly. This is much safer.

Shawn,

Advising a 400 Hz first order crossover be used with the Altec 902 is bad advice! You can boil nitro out of dynamite and chances are you won't get your head blown off, but would you advise somebody to do it ?

Al K.

Al,

"Advising a 400 Hz first order crossover be used with the Altec 902 is bad advice! "

Those that have actually done it haven't had problems. Contrary to

"blow them off the face of the Earth in short order" it has worked

fine. Check out the various DIY home systems Altec users have come up

with... often they run first order. Your basing your advice on specs,

I'm basing mine on experience.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it in a 800 seat theater but in a

persons living room it will work fine for just about everyone that

listens at any sort of sane levels. For 85dB levels at my listening

position in my old room with the two way LaScala's I was measuring

about 1/10 of a watt into the speakers. Peaks of nearly 100dB are all

of 2w.... no problem. I ran mine up to peaks of 105dB per speaker at

the listening position. And that was with the thinner 902-8A type

diaphragms.

That is not to say I don't think there are benefits to high slope

crossovers (obviously since I'm running them) but a 902 will work first

order for most users. Those that are trying to peel the paint off their

walls shouldn't attempt this.

Shawn

Shawn,

Again, yes, YOU got away with doing it. For a while, then you moved away from it to the extreme-slope netwroks. That was the right move. With that network you could have distroyed the neighbors hearing before hurting the driver. This says even you considered it a temperary arangement. To suggest it is a good idea is bad advice! You got away with it becasue you didn't put much power into it, the transformer shorts out the extreme lows and you had it attenuated. Others may not have that series of circumstances and then a nice driver gets it's diaphragm smashed into the phase plug becasue of a temperary lashup! The 902 was not intended to operate down to and below 400 Hz. That amounts to abuse. I advise doing it properly in the first place by moving the crossover up where it should be and with a slightly higher order filter. Only the Khorn NEEDS a 400 Hz or lower crossover.

Al K.

Al,

"Again, yes, YOU got away with doing it."

As have others. I have yet to see complaints about blowing the driver off the face of the Earth.

"the transformer shorts out the extreme lows and you had it attenuated. Others may not have that series of circumstances "

I'm suggestion this to someone with those exact same circumstances.

"This says even you considered it a temperary arangement."

And my decision to move to the ES had nothing to do with power

handling. The number for power usage I posted earlier was power to the

entire speaker. Since the driver was being attenuated by 7dB relative

to the woofer less then 1/4 of that power was going to the 902. IOW,

during full bore THX Ref. Level playback (which many consider too loud)

the driver was receiving less then 1/2 a watt. It had *zero* problems

with that at 400hz first order. I moved to the ES mostly because I

wanted to hear what limiting driver interaction would sound as I have

been curious about that for years from reading about Joseph Audio/JSE

speakers and it seemed like a good way around the different path

lengths of the horns.

Shawn

Shawn:

"I moved to the ES mostly because I wanted to hear what limiting driver interaction would sound as I have been curious about that for years from reading about Joseph Audio/JSE speakers and it seemed like a good way around the different path lengths of the horns."

I think you indicated above that your ES networks are still for sale, is that right? This discussion has been addressing 400Hz, but I'm guessing the ES networks you made are the 500HZ version (?). Your small 'For Sale' sign caught my eye.

I know this is off the Altec topic, but what did you say the insertion losses were with those? I'm curious about this in terms of how it would relate to the Lexicon/bridged SE OTL combination.

Thanks,
Erik

Erik,

Actually mine are the ES600Ts. I built the ALK Type A's I was running but the ES networks Al built.

"I know this is off the Altec topic, but what did you say the insertion

losses were with those? I'm curious about this in terms of how it

would relate to the Lexicon/bridged SE OTL combination."

I forget the exact number but it was a couple of dB loss through the

crossover. With the LaScala's running the ES600T and the single SE-OTL

I could hit high 90s SPLs with the LaScala's high passed to the sub.

Run full range they could do about 95dB (together) before the SE-OTL

ran out of juice and started to get nasty. For SPL comparison sake the

95dB SPL level is what you would hit max. with the volume control on

the Lex at -10dB. In your room though the power required could be

different though of course.

The ES600T wouldn't work for you with the K'Horns though as the crossover is too high for the K'Horns bass bin.

Shawn

Shawn:

Got it, thanks for the information. Also: "The ES600T wouldn't work for you with the K'Horns though as the crossover is too high for the K'Horns bass bin." I Was just comparing the schematics of the ES versions to see what changes would need to be made. In my case, it would be better to just build them from scratch.

I'm really curious about the ES networks, but the Klipsch type 'As' I just made sound excellent with the SE OTLs.

Erik

I've been using the 2470's ever since I got them. I took some measurements with the Behringer's RTA last weekend using the Stereophile Test CD. Single tone, warble tone, and pink noise showed suprisingly strong output in the 350-450Hz where I had expected some problems. It was 4-5dB down at 400Hz, which wasn't much different then what I got with the K401/K-55. I didn't think the Trachorn would do that well, but I guess it does better with the 2470 than the 2350 horn JBL used to make the FR plot. Beats me.

I use two networks: a modified Type AA and the 'Super' AA. Both have 1st order/6kHz squawker filters

so, i'm ready to start rewiring my networks today. just one last question remains unanswered.

dean says the 44uf value will raise my crossover to ~600hz (i say ~600 because it will be more along the lines of 44.4uf)

but al says that will lower my crossover point BELOW 400hz..

i value both of your information highly, and when you start contradicting eachother with non opinionated issues, it really confuses me [;)].

can i get a final answer on this?

If the primary cap is based on 6 ohms -- it's 44uF. If it's based on 8 ohms -- it's 33uF. I just talked to Al a few minutes ago who was sitting on his arse watching TV of all things. I'm calling him back in a bit and then one of us will post something confusing and convoluted.:)

" I will be using JBL 2404's. What frequency should I cross the

squaker and tweeter at (I assumed that I will start at 5700 hz)."

If your squawker will get high enough go for a 8k or higher crossover on the 2404s. They sound best above 8k.

Shawn