I know this is a Klipsch site but what about these Altecs?

intotubes

I thought scores like this only happened to other people, I never score. I'm the one that pays top dollar for his vintage hi-fi stuff.

BUT.....

Tonight I spent 5 hours in a smokey small town auction house *cough* and stink of *cough* ciggy smoke.

They had a pair of Altec "Carmel" 838A's in reasonably good condition. Nobody wanted them. A hi-fi buddy told me they sat there last wek and didn't sell. They almost didn't sell tonight except I was lucky enuf to be there. 5 BUCKS!

They have pristine 804 horns and a pair each of 414Z Alnico (15"?) woofs. Wow. I can't wait to fire 'em up tomorrow.

Any info on these giants from the vintage horn experts will be appreciated.

-Mark

Man, I should have never hooked these baby's up. I was gonna part them out on E-Bay to help fund my hi-fi addiction but whoa, they kick some serious butt!!

Nice chest thumpers. They have an attenuator for the horn. I have it set about halfway and had to tone it down a hair. They have had a good long life, I don't mind taking them out of circulation. I don't know where they came from. Probably an estate. Didn't get to see the old lady but I bet it was more like the kids that unloaded these beasts. They were stuck way in back. No one gave them a second look.

Pics:

post-18184-13819279216614_thumb.jpg

Tell me about it. I was going to do the same with my 9844A (similar but uses 811b horn, and has a small slot port). I still have them but haven't given them much of a listen other than to decide that I'm keeping them at this point. Reconfiguring of audio around the house should chagne that...

Yeah, I'm still listening to these. Their fantastic. I'll probably have to get some new caps for the antique crossovers. The cabinets are pretty rough but I think I'll live with just cleaning them up and some Old English Oil. I stuck 'em on top of my Cornwalls vertically so I can walk around in here. Definitely keepers.

post-18184-13819279220898_thumb.jpg

Don't get rid of them until you have lived with them for a while. I am not speaking from experience because all of the goodies that I have purchased are in storage awaiting install, but it seems like a common theme here that both Altec and JBL make (made?) superior horns and drivers than our beloved Klipsch.

$5, nice score!

Chris

I'm on board with the idea of upgrading the crossover components & I don't think it's an oversimplification at all. It's simple and true, in my experience. The physical layout of those crossovers is pretty crowded, though. Laying one out on a board as Klipsch did would be easier than refurbing the Altec network, I think.

How about going to an active crossover? They let you set the xover points to suit your system and room and most offer gain and damping control. Active crossovers usually have a better S/N ratio than most components so noise is rarely a factor and unlike passives, they don't bleed power away from the amps (very useful when using low-power amps).

The Marchand xovers ( http://www.marchandelec.com ) start at @$200 and are very-well regarded. NOTE - I'm a bit biased as I have one.