Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Jan 23

thebes

Been almost to busy to play music this week. Been rebuilding some

amps with a lot (not a little) help from a forum friend. So this

week is a repeat but with some added comentary.

Oh yeah, but before I do, thanks Danny, it's very nice when someone

buys one of my recommendations. Also scary. I mean, what if

he buys it and doesn't like it. Do I give him his money

back? Does he send "enforcers"? Ah, what the hey, I'll take

the chance.

Format's simple: Name of artist or group, name of album, type of

music as best you can (rock, blues etc.), and recording format (cd, lp

etc.)

As usual I'll start it off with:

The Royal Counts "Acappella Soul", cd, soul

I mentioned this one before, some of the songs are very cheesy, some

take you down memory lane and some just may you feel good. There

was a thread in 2 Channel last week about what to use in tuning your

system. I should have added this one. Why? Because it

is pure accapella, no instruments whatsoever. Just five voices in

harmony and better yet, they play from the exact same mikes throughout

so you can use it to make sure your gear is imaging right.

So what do you have to share this week?

Another current question about ELP has prompted me to recommend "The Best of Emerson, Lake, & Palmer," a compilation of 14 of their hits. CD remastered in 1994, on Victory/Polygram. This remastered recording is very clear, dynamic, and does their music justice like no vinyl lp ever did. I may be overly impressed with it, because it is possible that I have never heard them on CD before, having only my distant adolescent memories from owning an 8-track of "Trilogy" (ca. 1973) and later an lp of Brain Salad Surgery, and of course, on FM. If you were ever a fan, you will like this recording.

Sly and the Family Stone " There's a Riot Going on". 70's funk.

I don't like every song on this, but so much of it is transcendant. "Running Away", "Family Affair" are the obvious winners, and the whole album just percolates wit da funk. Sad and somewhat bitter lyrics add to the mystery of it.

My favorite song? "Spaced Cowboy" -- you can't quite make out what he's saying, but you can tell that he is gone, baby.

TRY! by the John Mayer Trio

DataFile.asp?FileID=669

I had seen bits and fits of the DirectTV Freeview thing recorded at the Bowery, and heard snips on the radio, but my guitar player/coworker threw this on my desk this morning. We had spoken briefly about it in the past, and the drummer from our better group (we have two) is prtetty excited about it, too.

I listened at work a bit, just VBR MP3s in mono through the old JBL bookshelf monitor I use at my desk. Then I had some appointments around town and got to listen in the Element with its factory sub (no, I'm not one of those guys - the extension and clarity of the factory system is refreshing, though). It was a 40+ degree day in Buffalo with bright sun, so I cracked the sunroof (Honda calls it a skylight ;/) and turned up the volume. Drove a little too fast too, but made up for it by taking a few "wrong turns". Man, what a great record this is. Word has it that It took some prodding from Jordan to get this group together, and I'm sooo glad he saw the potential. The interplay between these guys lives up to their reputations (speaking of Pino & Jordan...).

I had no idea that Mayer was that good of a guitarist. I thought he was just a flash in the pan guy with a couple radio songs. The guy can play, and his vocal chops are maturing nicely as well. The writing is excellent, ranging from greasy funk to more sensitive stuff, without overdoing it ala Jeff Buckley. And the three can outright jam! Jordan had played with more musicians than I've heard of, and Pino's claim to fame was for his fretless work in the late 80s and early 90s on pop stuff like Don Henley (End of the Innocence -gag). The chemistry and plain musicality here is reamrkable.

As for the recording quality, nothing to beef about from the CD in the car. Haven't listened on the big'ns yet, but will in a bit tonight. I'm thinking of buying the LP as well. Found it for $15 new on the bay...