Article: Bad News for Nerves of Aging Fans of Heavy Metal

WMcD

Well I'd say the study is flawed. Much more to the Haavy Metal life style then music[;)] Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll you know.

Craig.....you hit it on the nail ! Man , is this true.

I had a tumor removed 3 years ago, and to make light of such a thing is wrong! I am an old dawg who at 58 years old finds out that Led Zeppelin, the Who, JIMI, and THE GREATEST ROCK and ROLL BAND in the world, the ROLLING STONES could have given me a tumor is hard to swallow. Given this new info I still would not change

what I listen to. ROCK and ROLL is an ATTITUDE not an AGE. Oh by the way, I just saw the STONES live (again), and the tumor has not returned. LONG LIVE ROCK

As mentioned before, the study is flawed ~~ it really does not meet statistical significance. When they come back with data representing 10s of thousands of participants across a diverse background, then I'll listen. Otherwise I'm gonna go with what I was taught: non-ionizing radiation (under 33eV) does not increase risk for cancer... (and there is data of 100s of thousands of people to back that statement up)

I dunno, the study does not seem to be referring to ionizing radiation (like X-rays).

Sound waves are not ionizing. Neither are sound waves part of the electromagnetic spectrum. They are mechanical energy.

The study seems to suggest that chronic exposure to high SPL's (a mechanically induced trauma to the vestibulo-cochlear apparatus) increases the incidence of an acoustic neuroma, or acoustic "schwannoma."

The study may or may not be valid. But a benign neural outgrowth in response to long term mechanical abuse is not an unreasonable hypothesis.

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno, the study does not seem to be referring to ionizing radiation (like X-rays).

Sound waves are not ionizing. Neither are sound waves part of the electromagnetic spectrum. They are mechanical energy.

The study seems to suggest that chronic exposure to high SPL's (a mechanically induced trauma to the vestibulo-cochlear apparatus) increases the incidence of an acoustic neuroma, or acoustic "schwannoma."

The study may or may not be valid. But a benign neural outgrowth in response to long term mechanical abuse is not an unreasonable hypothesis.

I know the article is not referring to ionizing radiation -- but I am!

And I still stand by what I've been taught -- that energy, specifically anything under 33 electron volts, mechanical, eletromagnetic, or otherwise (and Heay Metal falls in that category), doesn't increase risk for cancer.

You say not an unreasonable hypothesis, I say its a bit of a stretch.

Not to say that I can't be convinced otherwise, but this study didn't do it.

I'll ask my Phd friend who runs a lab to park some Klipsch over his research rats and see if there is any differences in rate of incidences of tumors between Celine Dion and say, perhaps, Slayer.