History of early Hereseys?

Gene68442

I wonder if one of the Klipsch experts would mind helping a new guy out. Either that or point me in the right direction. I don't have a problem seaching for myself if I knew where to look.

My question is:

Did the early Hereseys use ElectroVoice drivers?

I heard that the early Klipsch speakers used pure EV drivers, not components made under a license agreement.

A real noob here. Like I said, I am willing to read read read myself if someone wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance and I would appreciate any help here.

As many posts as I have made here, you would think I would know all of this myself.

The earlier tweeter (K77) and Mid driver (K55) were EV, Klipsch didn't make their own until they bought tooling from Hepner (forgot the date), but my Heresy IIs have a Hepner mid in them. Not even sure about the tweeter in the ones I have. The original Heresy used the EV drivers. They just had the Klipsch logos on them

Welcome. I just enjoy listening to mine. [:D]

Bruce

The primeavil Heresies were a bit shallower than the current models, and used the EV T-35 tweeter, and EV SP12B woofer. The midrange - the "mushroom" - was made by Atlas and modified by Klipsch. The CTS and Heppner drivers came along later. There's an interview with PWK somewhere around here that has all the details.

Yes, Heresys of the 60s used EV SP12B woofers. At some point in the late 60s or early 70s they changed to CTS woofers. The tweeters from the 60s up through the end of production were EV manufactured T35As, first with alnico magnets, then with mud magnets. The K55V squawker driver was not from EV. It was an Atlas PD5V. It was used from the 60s until the last few years of production when Klipsch changed first to a Heppner manufactured driver (K53H), and then to a Klipsch manufactured version of the Heppner driver (K53K).

Note that the very earliest Heresys from the 50s are a different beast and may have EV woofers or woofers from different manufacturers, and University squawkers and tweeters.

FWIW what you see in my avatar at the left is a mid 60s Heresy in theater black with an EV woofer (notice the whizzer).

Gene

BEC posted a link to a great article about klipsch history within a 2 channel thread.

"Belle Klipsch" - I bumped it for you. Also try "looking for dope from hope" thread.

Will someone please tell me how to include a link in a post.

JT

A bunch of us will be going to Hope and see the museum again.

My recall is that there are some Heresy prototypes using 10 inch or maybe even 8 inch drivers. Manufacturer unknown.

Reading the literature from PWK very closely, the first H were arranged so that the mid and tweeter were run in crossover to match the K-Horn. The woofer was allowed to run for what it was worth. That is to say, the mid and tweeter were not attenuated to match the woofer at all. Woofer output must have been 8 or more dB down.

Another interesting question is the horn itself. The K-700. It may well be that it was a scaled down version of the K-400.

Looking at the table of contents for the Dope from Hope, there an entry for the K-700. Yet there is no DFH on that. You have to wonder what PWK was telling people. Wouldn't we all like to know what he did and what was going through his head.

I was there for the first pilgrimage to Hope. In a back room there was what I think was a first step to making the K-700..

The horn would have to be made up from a top and bottom section to be united in production.. So the first step would be to define the cross section in clay. All one would do is build up a half cross section in clay on a board.

I think that is what was done. What I saw reminded me of the bottom board of the childhood toy of Panels and Girders. Green particle board. Paul may have liked to work with clay, too..

I take it that PWK used modeleing clay to define an exponential cross section area and the ultimate retangular mouth. This was a first start for the K-700.

In any event, the museum has some intersting tid-bits. They fill in the gaps of what is not published. We have to "connect the dots."

Gil