need help!! anyone any good with quickbooks?

travisc

this is killing me, I would like to use my computer at home in conjunction with the shop computer. Is there a way to save transactions to a cdrw and keep my home computer up to date business wise?

do I just keep running the backup program?

please anyone

my eyes are drying out

I am sure you are periodically backing up your QuickBooks file to disc. It automatically asks you to do this about every other time you close the program. Take your backup disc home from the office(how often you do it is up to you)and do a "Restore from backup" in QuickBooks at home. It will only be up do date with the office as often as you do the restore. Hope that helps.

Travisc,

I do this with my wife's office books. What works faster is to back it up on a flash memory using the usb port. Takes only a couple of seconds. The only thing you have to be careful of is if someone uses one computer while you are working on the other. You will bring your back up in and restore and it will erase all things done on the first computer since back up. I just ask the office manager not to do any work in quick books until I get in there the next morning and restore it.

Keith

Travisc,

I couldn't have helped you either, but Flash memory is the way to go. Every IT guy or installer I work with all have the Flash Memory.

I have even borrowed it from them to give another member in my group a file that was too big to email. So easy and fast to use.

Good Luck with your copying and your new business.

Danny

And yet another. If you are running Windows XP, you can use the "Remote Desktop Connection" feature of XP. I use it every day and it works well for me. Of course Remote Desktop Connection is quite a bit slower than actually being onsite, but it's a lot more convenient than heading back down to the office.

Nice timing for this topic to come up, I am working on the final points of a new computer system for the shop, home office, new shop software, (Service2000 from Genesis Four) and our first foray into Quickbooks. We plan on using the Remote Desktop system, will have XP Pro on all 4 computers. We were going to do a Laptop at home with a wireless net there, but I think we're going to stick with the workstation, don't really need to be doing stuff outside. Might get one later though, will see what happens.

I have talked to a few people that are using our next software program with Quickbooks, they don't integrate seamlessly, you still need to do some data entry twice, but I'm sure it will be better than doing all our bookkeeping by hand as we have been the last 7 years.

Good luck with your, travisc.

Yup, good memory, with all the happiness and riches that come with it. [;)] Our software provider has a very extensive list of account names and set up info he suggests we use with Quickbooks, he does ONLY repair shop software systems and has been in the business for years, was a shop owner himself for a long time before getting into the shop management software aspect of it.

http://www.genesisfour.com/about.htm

I'm not sure how excited I am about starting out with new software for the shop AND getting going with Quickbooks at the same time, but we have a week of on site personal training coming in with the software, so hopefully that will help us take full advantage of all the benefits the programs have to offer. We're also going to have some additional Quickbooks training from an accountant that works with the Small Business Development Program at the local college.

I'm looking forward to being able to print things out from the shop at home or vice versa, we are going to set things up with three printers, a new laser here for daily service order and repair sheets, wiring diagrams, etc, use our current 3 year old laser printer as a dedicated check printer at home, and a third color printer at home for office/business work that will double as the printer for emails, birthday cards, letters, pictures, whatever we want to print off the computer at home.

What shop system are you using, and are you hppy with it? Does it do everything you could imagine it doing? How long have you had it?

I just opened my shop a month ago. 2 bays great location. Been a tech for 16 years and decided to give it a go. Little did I know how exhausted I was going to be. I dont have any repair software yet. I am very familiar with Mitchell/shopkey$$$ and have used alldata as well, but its been a while(before they were on a dvd).

I am downloading the demo. Please keep me up to date on your thoughts and opinions on that software

Parts distributor bought me a $1800 computer though, I like the perks, makes working so many hours worth it. I need to buy a tire balancer any suggestions?

Wayne

Back in the day, (86-87?) I was actually working at a place that was one of three test sites in the country for the original Alldata system, we helped em work out the bugs as we used it day to day. I even had a full page ad written up about me and our shop as a promo for Alldata in the Motor magazine one month as to how the system had shown me adjustments to a Ford Variable Venturi carb that I didn't know existed that cured the customers complaint.

Shoot me your phone number in an email or private message, I can call you and discuss it, much easier than doing it on here.

We really enjoy using Quickbooks at our facility. We use the same program at 5 different locations. We just send it up to our domain and download updates on a daily basis. Anyone making changes just drops an email that updates have been made and the others just download and restore. When i get at home with notebook i just update and restore and take over where i left off. Works great.

Stormin, I recognize your name and know you don't post often, I'm glad that our little thread here got your interest up.

The only question I have is that you state you "...just send it up to our domain...".

A lot of us don't have a domain to send it up to. We just muddle along with our servers and workstations, though we might be able to up load to the server, then we'd need more licenses for Quickbooks, if we accessed it from every workstation, no?

Not sure about all this, thinking out loud.

DUDE!!!!

Get your nose out of that demo and give me your number!!!

I love the idea of someone giving me hardware to use to make my life easier, but I also figure he expects to make him money back on it, therefore it's probably setup with a direct net line or catalog look up to his parts line would be my guess? What if you can get comparable quality parts for 30% less cost, same retail from a different supplier? Also, you need to set your list prices for what you need to survive, not necessarily what suggested list is.

I guess you won't be answering my email since I just got a message that the address I sent it to, the one in your profile, doesn't exist?

I just spent 45 minutes working up some numbers for an example, but decided to not show the whole world how rich us small independant shops are getting by fixing their cars.

I was going to leave at 7, now that it's 7:40, I'm out and on my way home. . Get your number to me, I'll get ahold of you tomorrow.

Stormin, I recognize your name and know you don't post often, I'm glad that our little thread here got your interest up.

The only question I have is that you state you "...just send it up to our domain...".

A lot of us don't have a domain to send it up to. We just muddle along with our servers and workstations, though we might be able to up load to the server, then we'd need more licenses for Quickbooks, if we accessed it from every workstation, no?

Not sure about all this, thinking out loud.

My comments were merely a statement of acceptance that I and my company have for Quickbooks. We do use several Licensed copies of Quickbooks. The reason for several copies is because we have Quickbooks installed on several computers. And yes, it was a topic of interest. Thanks!

Travisc, you have mail.

Stormin, we are still contemplating our options for how many licensed copies of QB Pro we need. Since we'll be doing bookeeping at home with the Remote feature of XP Pro, there needs to be one here at the shop on the server. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to have another installed at home so that if there's a problem with internet connections we aren't limited to what we can accomplish at home. I'd also like to have it on more than one pc here at work, which means I might as well step up and get the 5 pack.

Now I just had another thought....

Since all the computers will have XP pro, is there any reason I couldn't use the remote desktop from right inside the building to only have it installed on one computer, but control it from another? I need to make another phone call...

And to think I just wanted to have a nice little place to fix cars, sheesh!!!