How long do provector lamps really last?

jdm56

i have a sony vpl-vw12ht

with the cinama black pro (reduced bulb output for better blacks) on all the time my first bulb lasted just over 2000 hours.

i think it would have lasted longer but i have two stompers in my house who have the uncanny ability to

stomp through the room above the ht room when that projector is fired up?

jay

Let's do some math. How much will you be using this PJ? It's recommended to keep another TV around for every day use, especially for watching Standard Definition content, which usually doesn't look so good on a PJ.

So, if you watch 6 HD shows or DVDs a week, for 2 hours each time, that's 12 hours a week or about 600 hours a year. Divided into 2000, that's 3.5 years. Works out to about $100/year, or $0.30/day.

Would I pay that as the ongoing expense to watch a 120" image in HD? You bet.

I agree with dougdrake,

We have had our projector since June of last year. We have about 360 hours on it. When we first got it, we watched a LOT of movies, since then, we watch about 1 or 2 a week, if that. Last Thursday, I added a HD tuner to the system and have added about 15 hours to the projector since then trying to adjust things and such, not to mention a couple of movies.

Our bulbs are rated at 2000 hours and the projector has a timer that will stop the bulb at that number of hours regardless if it is still "good" or not. Our bulbs list for about $350 so that works out to $0.17 per hour or if you watch a long DVD with all the "extras" it works out to about $0.70 per movie.

Now there is nothing that says a bulb will last 2000 hours either. Just like the light bulbs you put in lamps, some last much longer than others while some "pop" the first time you turn them on. So even if the average is only half of rated life (a situation I seriously doubt!) it is worth it for us to spend a buck and a half to watch a movie in the style it was intended to be seen. Once you watch a 100 inch screen, it is hard to go back to even a 50 inch screen as it is 1/4 the size!

For every day viewing of TV, we have a 32 inch direct view tv. It will last for a long time and costs nearly nothing to run.

Decisions, decisions! I had planned to use the projector for everything -hdtv, dvd's, and standard def. TV, but maybe that isn't a good idea considering the lamp cost. Just used for "event" viewing, I guess it'd be tolerable. It certainly would be no big deal keeping a small SD tube TV for everyday viewing.

The other option is a CRT rear projector. They are really cheap now. That would be the simplest, cheapest route, but I really liked the way a front projector let's me put my center speaker where and however I want it, ya know?

Thanks a lot for the help, guys!

I just got a Benq 7700. I purchased it after I thought they had corrected their bulb problem. Well maybe not. Do some research on AVS forum before you purchase. My bulb is supose to last 1500 to 2000 hrs and I sure hope it does. I did get a free replacement bulb when I purchase my projector. I've had it since the first of Dec. and have about 140 hrs on it. (HD football on large screen is fantastic, movies and hd TV are good also.) But, also use my other TV a 46 inch DLP for daily viewing. I just don't need to see news and Bill O'Reilly on a 92 inch diagonal screen. The bulb for my 46 inch run about $180 ant the present one has about 3600 hours on it. So you might want another crt or such TV for non HD/movie viewing.

Keith

I would replace the bulb at the recomended hours and not go over.

I have heard storys of old over hour bulbs breaking inside the

projector, causing a lot more than $400 in damage.

It took me 2 1/2 years to hit 2000 hours on my first bulb. I

still figure that the $$$ is a deal for a 69" x 120" HD picture.

JM

My Sharp projector has a bulb that cost $420. The first bulb lated 430 hours. Ironic? Perhaps, but definitely not fun. I found one vent opening I did not know about at the time and when I discovered it there were some construction debris partially blocking the opening. This prevented the projector's fan from doing a good job of cooling the bulb. So it died prematurely.

I now vacuum ALL of the projector's openings every 3 months. The current bulb is now about 600 hours old and counting. We'll see what happens. Expensive lessons are always the toughest. Check ALL of those vents, guys!

I bought an Optoma H30 projector last August and the bulb died in December. I'm not sure how many hours were on it but if I had to guess, it was probably between 100-150hrs. I was really upset because the bulb died Christmas Day and so I was left without a projector for a month. Optoma was closed during the holidays and then when they came back they were swamped with tons of work orders. Long story short, they sent me a brand new H30 projector with a brand new bulb. It arrived the day before NFL wildcard games started.

The new projector is working fine and doesn't have the whinney noise I heard in the other H30. I suspect that something internally was wrong which cause the bulb to die prematurely.

It is worth the .50-1.00 to wath HD and/or movies on a 90"+ screen!

• 4 years later...

We provide LCD Projector Lamps and DLP Television Bulbs. The brand : Akai, Bluesky, Clarity &Margay,Gateway,HITACHI,KOLIN,LOEWE ARTICOS,

MITSUBISHI,OPTOMA ,PHILIPS,SAGEM,SHARP,TOSHIBA,VIVITEK,WILDCAT,BARCO,CHRISTIE,ENVISIONTEC,GEMSTAR,JVC,LG/ZENITH,

MAGNOVOX,OLEVIA,PANASONIC,RCA,THOMSON,SAMSUNG,SONY,VIZIO,ETC. we can provide original bulb and replacement bulb.

If you want , please contact me. our web http://www.inmoul.com . Quality pledge.

Jerome Yang

extrablue.yang@gmail.com

MSN:yangjie821206@hotmail.com