Plasma TV burn out. Fact or Fiction

JackH

It used to have more truth to it, but 'burning out' is a bit of an exaggeration.

After a certain amount of hours, Plasma TV's have a 'half-brightness'

Which basically means they're half as bright as they were when you

bought them. The newer plasmas boast that this half-life is right

around 50-60K hours, (even more with the new panasonics).

Panasonic claims that their new Plasmas will last as long as a

direct-view CRT, and have the same potential for burn-in (which is very

low).

Also, these claims are assuming the Plasma is calibrated properly and

not kept in 'torch' mode that so many manufactures and sales locations

put them in.

wstrickland1: Yeah, it's always easy to suspect the numbers, and everyone seems to skew things to their favor these days. But I must admit that they do provide a lot of good information and in one place. So, until I hear different. this seems to be a good source of info...for me, anyway.

Going to do some research and then repost. From my research (2 years ago) when I was looking to purchase an LCD or a Plasma, I remember coming across a illustration for Plasmas. If memory serves me correctly, I think a plasma will take 13 year to lose 1/2 its life if on for 8 hours a day. Biggest issues I remembering were "dead pixels" though.

Going to do some research and then repost. From my research (2 years ago) when I was looking to purchase an LCD or a Plasma, I remember coming across a illustration for Plasmas. If memory serves me correctly, I think a plasma will take 13 year to lose 1/2 its life if on for 8 hours a day. Biggest issues I remembering were "dead pixels" though.

It also depends on what brand you buy. For example, Zenith and Magnevox plasmas have a much shorter half-life (around 10 years) vs. the Pioneer, LG and Panasonic plasmas which do have a 17-18 year half life. As an added bonus, Pioneer builds an "orbital shifting" program into their plasma displays that will rotate channel ID bugs in a circular pattern to avoid image retention. Now, if only I had the money...

warren buffet has a stockholder meeting in omaha once a year and nebraska furniture mart always has some new stuff just for warrens buddies.

this year it was an 80 inch samsung plasma for $100,000.

(with the little sign that said "if you use your mart card its only $4500 per month" lol)

they sold 5 sets, even though the one they had on display had several big groups of pixles that were either red or green all the time? one part in the lower left corner looked like a big city skyline!

ill stick with my front projector(lcd)

jay

• Like 1