Tri-amping

Johnny dB

I've decided to triamp my Belles. I'll be using a Peach preamp, dBx Project-1 3 way crossover, Crown MA-1200 on the woofers, QSC RMX-850 on the midhorns, and an Ashley Fet-200 on the tweets. Is there anything I should worry about running it this way? Should I use anything to protect the tweet or will the dBX be enough? I'm also going to try the JBL 2445J in place of the K-77. Should be interesting.

I just read the materials posted by PaulN containing much of the Dope from Hope articles. Bi-amping was discussed as not particularly helpful and with more propensity to damage tweeters. It was preferred to just stay with a single amp.

Seeing the amps you describe, I can't imagine needing anything more than the MA 1200 by itself. What would you hope to accomplish that the MA 1200 can't do alone?

I also want to hear that JBL midhorn. I really didn't like the sound of the MA1200/ Peach combo. The fan is so damn loud and it just wasn't as smooth as what i'm used too. I blew a tube (I think)on my S-5 and I have all this gear and thought what the hell I should hook it up. I don't think I'll keep it like this. I'm just tryin' some new sh!t before I sell it all off.

Ive been tri amping my system for 25 years using a Series 20 D23 electronic crossover. With 6 monoblock amps. I havent run into any problems in damageing my speakers. I find it to sound cleaner & less problematic. I can change xover points and slopes at will 6, 12, 18. 24...db..Of course I do change drivers alot during tests. saves me alot of time. But i will stress getting a good E xover. and not a cheepie. I would recommend the Marchand units. Ashley makes a good one. But does not hold a candle to the D23 I have. If you know what your doing you wont burn out any woofers or tweeters. Good low distortion amps are required. LOW DISTORTION!!!!! (get it ?)

I've decided to triamp my Belles. I'll be using a Peach preamp, dBx Project-1 3 way crossover, Crown MA-1200 on the woofers, QSC RMX-850 on the midhorns, and an Ashley Fet-200 on the tweets. Is there anything I should worry about running it this way? Should I use anything to protect the tweet or will the dBX be enough? I'm also going to try the JBL 2445J in place of the K-77. Should be interesting.

Hello,

I did a search to check out the dBx you spoke of and nothing.Can you provide a link.

As for wanting to tri-amp your system,go for it,like you said,sounds interesting.

I recently went to a bi-amped setup and WOW!!! love it...oh BTW dont listen to other people criticizing your ideal of the perfect music machine!!!

Greg

I am triamping and think its the greatest thing ever. All of the improvements that you hear about ESN's and other crossovers are had, but teh ability to dial in the system to a fine degree. Just awesome. It didn't cost that much either. I am using two Teac L700P's for the upper end and a QSC 1202 for the bass. Great combo.

Ashley's 4000 something is supposed to be a great unit for crossover. I amost bought a mint one on eBay for $250 but somone else pulled the trigger sooner. Lucky me though, for a few hundred more, I bought a Yamaha D2040 digital dividing network on on eBay. I have seen them go for less too. Google it. This is a $3,000 (lists for $4,000) pro unit that just does so much. It has a left and right in that will divide each channel into 4 outputs in whatever configuration you like. I am running three outputs to the K Horn amps and the fourth pair into an SW15. I will eventually split the fourth channel into a Heresy center like the PWK setup.

You have a choice of crossover slopes and time delay. It also has parametric eq for each channel (I think two bands each). Another feature is the ability to mute any driver separately. If I want to just hear the left tweeter and right mid and woofer, I can. This is nice to dial in the system. I thought it was going to be so hard. It took about an hour. Just turn off drivers and listen to what sounds wrong and dial in. It also has digital and analog attenuation. You can also store 10 separate configurations of any settings you like in the memory and recall easily. A really cool feature is that when you switch between teh settings and recall a previously stored setting, each knob has a motor and they move by themselves. It just looks really cool. If you dial in one speaker, it will automatically set the other to match. I know that the Behringer does more, but this is a heavy duty pro unit.

If you can't tell, I love this thing. I am going to build a wood case for it so that it matches my Peach. It has a fan but the noise from it is not very much at all. It is a pro unit, but I think just about all dividers (crossovers) are pro units. I make my own cables so this is no big thing. You can pick up Mogami quad cable for about 65 cents per foot.

There is some required reading. Google Rod Elliot for his article. In his article, you will see that tweeters are normally protected from amp start up "thump" by teh caps in the crossover. because you will not have a passive, you may want to install some 20uF or more Solens bypassed with an Auricap 1 uF for the tweeters. The Teacs do not have start up thump so I don't use this, but will add in the future when I build my new horns (of course then I will be using my JBL 2404's and probably not really need the protection). While your at it, add a fuse to the tweeter.

Read the artice that Rod Elliot wrote and then look into the divider network. I will never look back. By the way, teh Teac amps are really nice sounding and great for this app. Sfogg uses them too and noted some hiss with JBL tweeters. I will probably have the same problem.

Chris

johnny,

In general dbx crossovers are good units, this particular unit may be built to lower standards than the rest of the range (the price seems to low to me for top performance) but it is hard to know.

the yamaha unit mentioned has some great features (the volume lock alone makes it perfect for home use) and can be found used for about $1,000 (http://www.hticsproaudio.com/used%20pro%20audio%20-%20EQ_%20RTA_%20crossovers_1.html) andyou can read the manual at yamaha before taking the leap (http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/pa/english/signal/D2040E.pdf).

I personally am saving my pennies for a Clarity DEQX (www.deqx.com) which has unbalanced RCA connections, SOTA DAC and ADC chips and provides digital driver and room correction all for about $3,000.

triamping allowing the use of these great crossovers/eqs/correction devices, that is the primary benefit IMHO.

regards,

Tony

A little off subject, but I just bought a pair of NOSValves VRD's and will be buying the BlueBerry Xtreme next week. I would like to incorporate my SVS sub with my La Scala's in 2-channel mode and know I will need some kind of crossover to do this.

My sub is a passive cylinder, and I am using a Samson amp to drive it. All it has is a big driver in it. Can someone tell me the best way to do this and what parts I would need to do it? Any recommendations, etc?

Again, I apologize if you feel I have hijacked your thread.

Mike

" All of the improvements that you hear about ESN's and other crossovers are had"

Not really, not if one is using a conventional line level crossover.

They are far shallower of a slope then the ESNs so there is more

overlap between drivers compared to the ESNs.

In the digitals (esp. the DEQX) it is possible to be as sharp, or even sharper, then Al's ESN networks but that takes some work.

Shawn

Mike,

You need either a line level active or line level passive crossover to

low pass the subwoofer and possibly to high pass the LaScalas if you

want to go that way.. or you can just roll in the SVS where the

LaScalas are rolling off on their own.

Forgive the sales pitch but I have an Audio Control Richter Scale III

I'm looking to sell. It is intended as a sub crossover as it will also

mix the low passed info down to a single channel for a mono sub. PM me

if you want more details.

Shawn