For Sale - $700.00 Pair of Klipschorns near Washington DC

Corvette6769

Vette, got the info...called...no answer...left message...the waiting begins.[:^)]

I figure most people know how to search ebay for khorns, but this pair is in a totally crazy category. They are in your state, so thought you might be interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-Khorn-Vintage-1985-Excellent-Working-Condition_W0QQitemZ5860735062QQcategoryZ3272QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not quite the same price range, but worth a look anyway.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colter - Hiya! About when I came to the forum, you went away. I was dissapointed as I've read so many of your posts. Glad you're back. And it sounds like you have a line on khorns too? Great!

Sorry to disappoint you with my writing, actually, I try to be entertaining.

Bet this here deal never sees the light of day, just too good and sellers too, er, strange...

Michael

I've been watching that auction. Started at $9.99. No reserve!

I look at the bids and LOL. What on earth are people thinking? There is zero point to bidding before the last minute (unless to test up to hit the reserve). They are only bidding against themselves. Like Scifiguy.

This is about the most ridiculous auction I've seen. And these are high feedback/seasoned bidders. When I first saw the auction, I got excited both because it's driveable, and a low start with no reserve. My only fear was stupid people bidding their own bids up. It happened. People just don't get it. But I expect differently from someone who has over 900 feedback!

Colter - Hiya! About when I came to the forum, you went away. I was dissapointed as I've read so many of your posts. Glad you're back. And it sounds like you have a line on khorns too? Great!

Sorry to disappoint you with my writing, actually, I try to be entertaining.

Bet this here deal never sees the light of day, just too good and sellers too, er, strange...

Michael

No no! I was dissapointed you took a break! BECAUSE I enjoyed your posts. :)

And - perhaps this deal is meant to be! Destiny. Hope it works out.

• Moderators

I look at the bids and LOL. What on earth are people thinking? There is zero point to bidding before the last minute (unless to test up to hit the reserve). They are only bidding against themselves. Like Scifiguy.

This is about the most ridiculous auction I've seen. And these are high feedback/seasoned bidders. When I first saw the auction, I got excited both because it's driveable, and a low start with no reserve. My only fear was stupid people bidding their own bids up. It happened. People just don't get it. But I expect differently from someone who has over 900 feedback!

Actually, this happens ALL the time on our auctions as well. I'm no eBay expert, but what I think is happening is people are NOT out-bidding themselves, but out-bidding the automatic eBay bid generated by someone who placed a maximum bid. If you'll notice, only "actual" bids are displayed, not automatic ones.

For example, if someone puts in their maximum bid at say, $700, then eBay will make the lowest bid for them to start with, like $9.99. If someone else puts in $200, eBay will automatically put in $210, or something like that, until the $700 is reached. You won't see the $210 pop up in the bid history though.

Does that make sense to anyone? Do I have it right? I'm not even sure....

Right - but whether manually entered for each bid or they put in a high price - they are still stabbing themselves in the back. It serves no gain/purpose for a buyer to do this till the end. If they put in $2000 as their max, and do it at the start of a 7-day auction - it's just plain foolish unless they are winging it because they'll be away. Otherwise it only benefits the seller and shoots the buyer in his own foot.

Another really bad tactic is to place a bid, think about it, and come back to place another with a higher bid. The bidding list shows 2 back to back entries for the same bidder. That just screams to the seller "oh boy! He placed a higher bid and it's a 100% certainty I can get my buddy to bid up my auction".

My father in law would do these types of things constantly. On CARS! He'd jump on a new listing and bid bid bid on the first day even on no reserve auctions. Also did the back to back bidding. He didn't even figure it out when he was in a bidding war with one person. It took me a year to convince him he's screwing up.

Where would you put them Gary?? On top of the other ones? Or do you think the wife would let you put a pair in the bedroom???[:o]

Steve

Don't worry. I'll find a spot for them!

Actually, I have a good forum buddy who needs a pair (and doesn't already have Khorns) and I'd be happy to hold them for him. You know who you are!

I'm probably too late though. Plus, my wife would KILL me!!!

Actually, this happens ALL the time on our auctions as well. I'm no eBay expert, but what I think is happening is people are NOT out-bidding themselves, but out-bidding the automatic eBay bid generated by someone who placed a maximum bid. If you'll notice, only "actual" bids are displayed, not automatic ones.

For example, if someone puts in their maximum bid at say, $700, then eBay will make the lowest bid for them to start with, like $9.99. If someone else puts in $200, eBay will automatically put in $210, or something like that, until the $700 is reached. You won't see the $210 pop up in the bid history though.

Does that make sense to anyone? Do I have it right? I'm not even sure....

You have it right on the proxy bidding.

As a seller, I love bidding wars. [:D]

I give up....

After I spent several hours with emails and phone calls to put this transaction together and after another 4 hours today and having successfully set up shipping arrangements for the virgin unfinished pair of 1977 Klipschorn KC-BR with cane grills for which I had paid $700.00 + shipping (and seller refunded when they suddenly and without warning decided yesterday that packaging was beyond their means), the seller has failed all day to return my telephone calls to coordinate shipping arrangements, s

o I am going to "pay it forward" and turn these loose to the members here in hopes someone close to Washington DC can take advantage of my geographic disability.

See my original post: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/679282/ShowPost.aspx

Email me for the seller's name, address and phone number in Potomac MD

OOOOhhh .....my bleeding heart ..........

I think this is a lost cause. I have left phone messages and even talked to a son at the house who said the mom would be back around 4:00PM. No luck, and no calls returned back to me.

My guess they did a quick web/ebay search and are now thinking 2500+

I just gotta ask... did you happen to find these with that wanted ad you put up on craigslist?

I have to admit that I snickered a little when I saw you were offering 1K for Khorns, and 500 bucks for Belles. Pretty amazing if that guy actually bit on your offer!

Not really when you consider the mint pair of Forte that turned up at an Indianapolis landfill recently and went home with a Klipsch employee who fortunately happened to stop by and spot them a few minutes after they were discarded, the $20.00 pair of Klipschorns found at a Goodwill store, $25.00 Cornwall at a thrift store, the pair Cornwall that I bought for the seller's $30.00 asking price, and etcetera.

After all, perhaps I am providing a public service, if I can prevent just one pair of Klipschorns from ending up at the curb for some garbage man who would not know a Klipsch if it landed on his foot, from tossing them in the compactor.

Not withstanding the recent price insanity on eBay (which is by design by eBay themselves - more on that below*), the prices I am willing to pay is equal to that of Klipsch speakers I have bought through eBay auctions or seen sell over the last 6 months or so. For every pair of Klipsch loudspeakers I own, I have looked at least 100 pair I have passed on, mostly due to price so 99% have sold for more than I paid.

My offer is intentionally low on La Scala and Belle Klipsch, because I am only interested in a pair of those two models at a lower price, since they fall off so much in the bottom end compared to Klipschorn,

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Cornwall, Chorus II, and even the little Forte II. The amount I am willing to pay for the others is consistent with the prices I have seen them sell for through eBay on a repeated basis, including sub-$1,000 Klipschorns.

On top of that, since I am located in a rural area, Klipsch speakers almost never come up available here, so I must factor the high cost of shipping that those buyers located in the metropolitan areas do not have to.

No one here can honestly say that they would pass on a free pair of mint Forte II that someone had discarded, a nice pair of La Scala offered for $300.00, or Belle Klipsch for $500.00 if they were in the market for a pair.

I understand that some have failed to do their due diligence before paying far more than they had to for their Klipsch, and in their case it might have been justifiable to pay 2 or 3 times market value if they are only purchasing a single pair of speakers, if the time to do the research I have is cost prohibitive to them given their circumstances, however for me to do so when acquiring 18 pair for my whole house system would be fiscally irresponsible and a disservice to my family.

*Apparently eBay is culling the completed auction listings and eliminating the lowest sale amounts (presumably since lower ending bid amounts = lower final value fees). The reason I stumbled upon this is that a couple months ago, 5 days after I won an auction for a stereo power amplifier, I did a completed items search to review the auction and it was no where to be found.

After seeing this occur more than once for other auctions, it prompted me to do the same for other items like Klipsch speakers and noticed a trend that the record high sale auctions would return in a completed auction search often for more than 30 days, and more shockingly that the past 30 days search were omitting most auctions from the search results in less than 25 days.

Obviously, eBay realizes that if both buyers (and sellers setting reserve prices/starting bids) are kept in the dark through a limited amount of market activity data, then the prices will go up as will the final value fees, since many have the approach that "well, that is only 10% more than another one that sold for recently", the prices will naturally escalate exponentially.

Further fueling the fire are questionable sales like $800.00 Heresys, $800.00 Fortes, $3000.00 La Scalas, and $5,500.00 Klipschorns (click the proceeding links to view my posts) which possibly are phony auctions intended to do exactly what they did, which is to create a false impression that someone would actually pay above Cornwall prices for Heresy/Forte or double Klipschorn prices for La Scala. As an example, within the last 6 months more than one nice pair of Belle Klipsch have sold for $825.00 like the pair on 9-15-05 offered by a power seller with 5000+ feedback, however if you do a completed auction search today, you will see what a single pair at $2,700.00 did to the recent pricing. Corvette auctions have been notorious for this which is why at the auction held every year in conjunction with the Bloomington Gold Corvette show, it was important to watch who the players were to ascertain an accurate perspective of the market.

What eBay can not prevent is someone taking the time to track and record the last 1000+ Klipsch speaker sales as I have and as an informed buyer adjusting my purchase price limits accordingly, based on my own due diligence. What eBay can count on is that the majority of people will not do their homework, which is good news for sellers (including my executor some day).

So as a long answer to your short question, as you can see from my signature which has not changed recently, my CraigsList postings have not aided my search for a pair of 1978-1981 Klipschorns.