garymd

'Consistent with that

philosophy is the unwritten custom that sellers through the Forum state

asking prices, rather than pitting Forum members against one another in

a bidding war. Most seem to honor the principle that the

first person to express interest has the right to buy at the stated

price and that other Forum members should not try to outbid each

other. No one is hurt by this custom. Its all done voluntarily.'

That's Bang On Neil! In the interests of brotherly cooperation, we help and are helped in return to obtain the Klipsch of our dreams.

Here's another instance I forget which event happened first, suffice to say that a fair exchange of favors was made between Forum members. A pair of beautiful oak Forte II's was advertised down South. I was first or nearly so in line, mainly because of the amount of time I spent around here. Member dtel's wife wanted to get them for dtel for Christmas and she expressed those needs specifically to me. I stepped aside as did other members and she got mint speakers for a very good deal, better than could have been had in any bidding war. The favor was quickly returned when a pair of LSI's was up for sale close by the dtel's and they grabbed them and stored them in their home for me until suitable means of transport could be found.

I have also been aided by DrWho on numerous trips because of his proximity to Chicago. He's chauffered speakers that have landed at his doorstep from Milwaukee and several other Chicago locations to my place in Indy.

It's all in good fun. I see nothing wrong with the practice of 'first dibs' on auction goods and asking others to please not up the bidding. I beleive that we get the speakers we're supposed to get. I try to step aside when a deal belongs on the hands of another because of that purchase completing his set better than mine, being an easier road trip, etc.

Let's all be good guys to each other. That's what it's all about.

Michael

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

DizRotus - Nice post.

It's bothering me a bit that some are viewing Gary's request as negative. IMO, he was just throwing it out there and asking what could be called his 'friends' for a favor here. He didn't demand, and I'm sure the intent was lighthearted. If there was something in Illinois I wanted, I might shoot out the same request. But the intent would be (like Gary's was), more a "help a guy out here" friendly request. Gary - I'm sorry you're getting semi-dissed for this.

Actually, you know what would be nice? This touches on DizRotus's post above.....

When posting a heads up about a deal, it also gives a heads up to potentially 100's of lurkers.

Many forums have a special section for 'members only' where you have to sign in. A section solely for the members that the general public/lurkers cannot see. It would be nice to have such a section here where sales/alerts to khorns, etc. can be posted more privately requireing registration/sign-in. I like this idea. Not to sound greedy, but I know many of you spend a great deal of time searching these things out. Some pay for 'wanted' ads in various publications and would rather see a forum buddy get the deal. Ya know?

LOL I really like my idea. Or is my thinking flawed? I would think the forum admins/mods could set this up pretty easy?

Yes Meagin, that sounds good, but how could you keep 'lurkers' off this section? If all you had to do was register, there's no way to keep certain people off, even if you knew who they were.

I think operating as we have done in recent past is the best method. I really think that only the experienced collectors and posters here have the wherewithal and madness necessary to really go after the good finds. In many cases it takes not only cash, but the ability to make travel plans on a moments notice. That would leave many casual lurkers without the means to spoil a good deal anyway.

DizRotus - Nice post.

It's bothering me a bit that some are viewing Gary's request as negative. IMO, he was just throwing it out there and asking what could be called his 'friends' for a favor here. He didn't demand, and I'm sure the intent was lighthearted. If there was something in Illinois I wanted, I might shoot out the same request. But the intent would be (like Gary's was), more a "help a guy out here" friendly request. Gary - I'm sorry you're getting semi-dissed for this.

Actually, you know what would be nice? This touches on DizRotus's post above.....

When posting a heads up about a deal, it also gives a heads up to potentially 100's of lurkers.

Many forums have a special section for 'members only' where you have to sign in. A section solely for the members that the general public/lurkers cannot see. It would be nice to have such a section here where sales/alerts to khorns, etc. can be posted more privately requireing registration/sign-in. I like this idea. Not to sound greedy, but I know many of you spend a great deal of time searching these things out. Some pay for 'wanted' ads in various publications and would rather see a forum buddy get the deal. Ya know?

LOL I really like my idea. Or is my thinking flawed? I would think the forum admins/mods could set this up pretty easy?

Thank you Meagain! You too Michael.

BTW - My friend is no longer bidding on these but another forum member (Jay) is. I'm still going to see them today assuming the seller is still available. I need to call him shortly.

DizRotus - Nice post.

It also bothers me that anyone interprets Gary's request as negative. My aim was not to criticize his effort to help a friend, but to point out the risks associated with alerting the Forum to any specific item.

Your suggestion makes sense.

Yes Meagin, that sounds good, but how could you keep 'lurkers' off this section? If all you had to do was register, there's no way to keep certain people off, even if you knew who they were.

I think operating as we have done in recent past is the best method. I really think that only the experienced collectors and posters here have the wherewithal and madness necessary to really go after the good finds. In many cases it takes not only cash, but the ability to make travel plans on a moments notice. That would leave many casual lurkers without the means to spoil a good deal anyway.

M - I see 2 benefits. First, anyone who comes here would see a list of forum topics and one section called "Members Only". Either theres a disclaimer saying "registration or approval required". They click on it and there's a message again. This alone might be a pita enough to prevent an easy sign-in. Further it could be set up to send a confirmation email that can be clicked on when received, etc.

But mostly, I "think" anyone doing a google search on say "klipschorn for sale in Chicago" wouldn't be able to see it. Or, they'd arrive at an area requireing registration & sign-in for viewing. Major pita.

Regarding the 2nd paragraph - That's the whole point. I lurked here for at least a month before posting. If you guys were discussing a pair in Chicago, talking about a 5 hour trip, setting it up, arranging a dinner along the way.... While this requires wherewithall & madness for you, making travel plans, etc. I could have been like.... Awesome! They're only 5 minutes away from me.... And figured out a way to ****** them.

There's been many times I cringed when someone made public a deal I was watching. I didn't cringe because forum members saw it - But cringed (big time, to the "that pisses me off" level, because of the bazillion lurkers being informed. When I found my local Khorns, I couldn't post about it till I had them in my hand. Not because I feared you guys would find the seller and make a better offer, etc. - but the lurkers. I wanted to post about it so bad, but it would have been foolish.

• Moderators

Michael gave up a very nice pair of Forte ll's for me and he was not the first person on this forum to help me find speakers. It is much easier to find used Klipsch with forum members than without, it all works out in the end. Me when asked i would help any member [ if i can ] weather to not bid or help pickup it would be a easy choice.

If it wasn't for members here i wouldn't have either pair of Fortes, not to mention all the junk i might have bought without all the free advice i got from members.

Everything on the forum is more or less voluntary. But we should as

some of us became good friends, respect one's wishes. Gary's friend

happened to change his mind and now it seems like that is my time to

take advantage. I would be devasted like when the other cornwalls were

posted in nj was taken down, but I got over it. Its just that we should

not try to outbid each other and cause greef as that will only cause

hostility. Gary was very nice today to actually go, listen, and look at

the cornwalls today. I am totally impressed and he even invited me over

if I purchase the cornwalls to listen to his Klipschorns. I think that

is something that in today's society we lack, but on this forum we

excell at. His friendship for a fellow Klipschster is honest and true.

And that is what this forum is all about, to talk about Klipsch and

make friends who have or will have some Klipsch speakers. We on the

forum found a little secret in the audio world called Klipsch!