Arcam AVR300 and Klipsch Ref

MarkBK

I am, and I love it. It has the best Dolby PLIIx implimentation I've ever heard (for creating 7.1 sound from 5.1 source). Also it kicks some hard-core butt at 2 channel music. It's true direct pass-through for analog inputs (e.g. SACD or CD playback from high-end cd players) is unsurpassed IMHO, since it actually shuts down the non-used electronics to reduce noise.

I used it to drive RF-35s (plus the rest of a -35 7.1 system) before I upgraded to an RF-7 based surround system. I used it without an amp for about a month when I got the RF-7s, and I was astounded at how similar the music quality was with and without an outboard amp. The soundstage widened significantly when I got my Carver Pro amp, but otherwise there was little change, even in bass quality, which surprised me.

I imagine that if you biamped your mains rather than using the last two outputs for 7.1 (like me) it would sound even more impressive.

I can't recommend this amp enough; if you are looking for an audiophile-level reciever (I know, an oxymoron...) this is about as close as they come.

I've listenet to Pioneer Elites and much of the Denon range (although not their 5000 series) and IMHO they don't hold up, but obviously you'll have to decide for yourself. Also, the Arcam doesn't have automatic room callibration, nor does is have HDMI connections (I hook mine directly from source to my tv), so that may play a role depending on your needs.

Good luck!

I currently own the Arcam AVP700 which is a slightly improved AVR300 without the amp section.

It is being used with RF7/RC7/RF35/RB5. I'm using the Aragon 2002+2005 for amplification. And I must say I love that matchup. The 2 channels (not the direct bypass - I 'm not one of those who pay $3000 for a processor just to bypass its processing ability in favor of a $500 CD/DVD player) is the best I've heard so far.

As pointed out above the DL IIx is excellent on both 2 channel and 5.1 sources. The unit gives you the option of having pure stereo (pure 2 channel without the sub).

I never heard the AVR300 itself but I believe there should be not much difference between the two. Now, If you don't mind me asking, do you have any specific reason to not buying a pre/pro instead?

Will you be using the on-board amp on the AVR300 or external amplification? If yes, and if money is not an issue I will recommend the AVP700.

I am, and I love it. ...............I can't recommend this amp enough; if you are looking for an audiophile-level reciever (I know, an oxymoron...) this is about as close as they come.

I've listenet to Pioneer Elites and much of the Denon range (although not their 5000 series) and IMHO they don't hold up, but obviously you'll have to decide for yourself. Also, the Arcam doesn't have automatic room callibration, nor does is have HDMI connections (I hook mine directly from source to my tv), so that may play a role depending on your needs.

Good luck!

OTTSCAY,

you comments reinforce the review I've read which prompted my interest in the first place. I am also looking at Outlaw 990 /7125 combo - but was quite impressed with the review of the Arcam

I currently own the Arcam AVP700 which is a slightly improved AVR300 without the amp section.

It is being used with RF7/RC7/RF35/RB5. I'm using the Aragon 2002+2005 for amplification. And I must say I love that matchup. The 2 channels (not the direct bypass - I 'm not one of those who pay $3000 for a processor just to bypass its processing ability in favor of a $500 CD/DVD player) is the best I've heard so far.

As pointed out above the DL IIx is excellent on both 2 channel and 5.1 sources. The unit gives you the option of having pure stereo (pure 2 channel without the sub).

I never heard the AVR300 itself but I believe there should be not much difference between the two. Now, If you don't mind me asking, do you have any specific reason to not buying a pre/pro instead?

Will you be using the on-board amp on the AVR300 or external amplification? If yes, and if money is not an issue I will recommend the AVP700.

pythagore,

Thanks for the comments. I was looking at seperates from Outlaw Audio which would cost me about the same as the AVR300. The AVP700 and Arcam matching amp look awesome but are beyond my budget [:(]

How long have you had the AVP700?

Reviews and suggestions are all good and fine but I've had units($3k)

highly praised that I thought sucked.I have units with less praise that

were really good.One person's great is anothers not even good and vise

versa.I wish we could just take a suggestion and run with it but in

real life you MUST hear for yourself.I too would love to hear the Arcam

300,it sounds great as do all the rest when you read the reviews,it may

really be.

I got it since last November. I've been using it for almost 3 months now. My vote goes for the AVR300.

I had the Outlaw 990 for about 2 months and was not impressed with the way it sounded with My RF7. Specially, I found its 2 channels perfomance weak.

pythagore,

Were you using the 990 with the processor? Did you ever run it direct? As I plan to use whatever I get for mostly 2 channel (When not running the 2 channel tube McIntosh gear) and home theater/Cable the rest of the time - I'm curious to know what you mean by the 990 sounding weak - compared to what?

Mark,I can't stress enough that YOU need to hear any units you're

thinkin' about.Just bite the bullet and try em'.I've been trying to

audition a 300 but the only dealers in Indy,Louisville, Cinci want me

to audition in their perfect environment on multi $K accs.None said

take it home and try it,if you don't love it bring it back.I think that

said something of their confidence.If anyone knows a place that will

let me buy a 300 with the option to return after an audition in my home

let me know.

Mark,I can't stress enough that YOU need to hear any units you're thinkin' about.Just bite the bullet and try em'.I've been trying to audition a 300 but the only dealers in Indy,Louisville, Cinci want me to audition in their perfect environment on multi $K accs.None said take it home and try it,if you don't love it bring it back.I think that said something of their confidence.If anyone knows a place that will let me buy a 300 with the option to return after an audition in my home let me know.

Fish,

I appreciate the recommendation, and trust me, I DO always rely on my ears in the end. I was just looking for other experiences to date while I go about my own auditions.

I did find a great dealer = Holm Audio in Woodridge that does allow home auditions. I took a Sherwood R965 last weekend and listened extensively. It was very impressive but a tad anaytical sounding or maybe just less forgiving of poor recordings.

As a side note: There was more high end gear in this store - mostly TUBE - than I have seen in a good long while. I listened to their high end system - about $40k - with Conrad Johnson CT5 and 70 matching tube pre/ poweramp- Joseph Audio Pearls (Spkrs) and a 6500.00 Tube CD player.........It wasn't $36k better than what I have by a long shot.

I'm pretty certain you can't buy Arcam products online (ebay excepted...). Arcam expects a level of support from its dealers that can't be offered by online dealers. I looked around myself, and didn't find any discounters, although the dealer in Fort Collins, CO (a 1.5 hour drive from where I lived at the time) did give me $150 off retail plus a couple of free SACDs.

I agree that you need to listen to it to make up your own mind, but I have never regretted my purchase. The movie surround is fantastic, and the two channel sounds as good as many mid-level separates I've heard (although high-quality separates are obviously better yet).

Good luck to both of you in your decisions!