What stuff we gonna get to hear?

Trey,

You being jazzed about the K-600 system makes you my kind of person!

hmmm, that was wierd...I made a quote and then my part of the post disappeared...

Anyways, I've not worked with the K-600 system before but from the

looks of it: complete overkill? Rumor has it Trey is a good sound guy

so I'm really looking forward to the show (even despite the fact that

the music isn't my cup of tea).

Nightwish, Ayreon, upbeat stuff from Cirque du Soleil...new age/metal/orchestrated stuff

The demos I heard from the band sounded very country/bluesy? Maybe I

was just listening to the wrong songs...nevertheless, I think the

choice of music is perfect for the occasion (everyone isn't a

headbanger) [;)]

And for the others that have never heard of him...I was fricken rocking down the apartment with these demo's:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005QXY9/103-0106705-8945439?v=glance&n=5174

...couldn't get the floor to shake though [:P][;)]

Yusuf. What an amazing person and what an interesting life. Worthy of a movie imho. Every time I turn around he's winning some humanitarian, etc. type award. Last one I heard about he was up there on the stage with Gorbachov getting some award from Nobel. When I heard he did work with Peter Gabriel, and saw recent photos of him wearing more western garb... A little bell went off that this guy is wanting to play music again. He apparently is working on an album. I tend to keep track of him because he's facinating to me. He just doesn't stop. Tsunami, Bosnia conflict, etc... he's always right there trying to help.

Who - he wrote a boatload of songs. Many people don't realize he also wrote for others. Like... 'The First Cut is the Deepest' (Rod Stewart/Sheryl Crow).

Truely the best VH1 "Behind the Music" episode. If I recall, it was 2 hours long? Double the normal time slot. They should rerun it - very interesting. Though it should be updated cuz he seems to be morphing back a bit.

OK - I admit it.... I bought that DVD that came out maybe a year ago. LOL I enjoyed the heck out of it. Except for that one horrid song.... you'll spot it when you hear it. Yipes. Actually it sounds pretty good for being 1970's. Very fun to see the hairstyles, etc. of the crowd. LOL I thought he was darned cute when I was little.

Cat Stevens? Never heard of them...

well he's got some bizarro religious name now.

Look up Teaser and the Firecat- I've got some Cat here on vinyl I'll turn you onto. It was chick magnet music if you could strum a guitar to it in 1974.

Michael

Q: WHAT IS CAT STEVENS' REAL NAME?:
Cat Stevens (Bio)' real name is Stephen Demetre Georgiou. He later changed it to Yusuf Islam (Bio). People close to him during his career always referred to him as Steve, not Cat.

Q: WHERE AND WHEN WAS CAT STEVENS BORN?:
Cat Stevens (Bio) (Stephen Demitri Georgiou) was born July 21st, 1948 in London.

Q: WHY DID CAT STEVENS LEAVE MUSIC?:
This is a very long and complicated issue. The simple version is that he adopted the Islamic faith and felt that the life of a pop star and the life of a Muslim were basically incompatible.

Q: WHAT DOES HE THINK OF HIS MUSIC NOW?:
This is another complicated question. Yusuf has been quoted as saying that he had written the record companies asking them to stop selling his music. However, he has also had many positive things to say. He still takes an active role in anything the record companies do with Cat Stevens (Bio) material, which would indicate that he is still interested in that part of his life. For example he chose the track listings for both "Footsteps in the Dark (Album)" and "Classics Vol. 24 (Album)." He also chose the design for the recently released "Three" box set.

Yusuf offers his complete catalog for sale out of his London office, (both Cat Stevens and Yusuf Islam (Bio) titles and merchandise). He also owns a number of his original master tapes which he also keeps in his office, which is equipped with a full recording studio.

He has said that he feels some of his songs were immoral, but he amends that by saying he realizes that nothing he did was really "bad." It is my understanding that royalties are distributed mostly to charities. The royalties from tracks he feels are certainly "immoral" go directly to charity and do not pass through Yusuf's hands at all. He lives off of investments from the wealth he had earned up to the point when he left the music business and does not use the royalties for himself directly. He does use them for specific projects however. Unfortunately I don't have any more specific details on this.

Also of interest is the following comment sent to my by Haney Nimr: After one of his lectures on how he came to Islam, a fellow asked Yusuf if he still listens to his old songs from time to time. Brother Yusuf immediately answered no, then after a few second pause he started laughing and said, "um, yes I do..."

Bottom line, he was a fantastic guitarist/ singer/ story teller. Buy the greatest hits CD, and if you like his style of "morning has broken" or "wild world" or "peace train".... You will be hooked.