Some recommendations for a tube beginner?

Def Leper

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not suggesting the Scott will or won't do it for you, they are great sounding amps. But if it doesn't meet your bass tastes, don't chalk that up to "tubes" - chalk it up to THAT set of tubes. md

Mdeneen - I understand. Thanks. Your posts are very informative to me!

Duke! - LOL!

Mike - Awww come on now... I was nice to you. And I appreciate your comments. I just have some trepidation about spending a few hundred dollars with no real clue if the sound will be 'for me'. I think that's normal. (It arrives any minute now, it's being delivered).

"I just have some trepidation about spending a few hundred dollars with no real clue if the sound will be 'for me'." ============ Welcome to Audiophile World in the age of the Internet. When you start spending in the high 4-figures without knowing what it sounds like, THEN you're really in the club! Hope it works out for you. md

LOL! I can't even imagine.

Mike - ((group hug)) [:)]

My new Scott is sitting on my living room floor. Faceplate pristine. Nice walnut case. Much prettier than I remember. He gave me 4 telefunken somethingorothers too. :) $100 bucks.

$100 for the whole thing... including the Telefunkens?

I would think they are 12AX7's, and mine made a big difference in my unit. I think I paid $180 for just the quad Telefunkens about 3 years ago.

I can't remember what Craig charges to rebuild these, but wouldn't think it would run you more than $250 and that would include all the parts. Well worth it in my opinion. Anyway, sounds like you got a nice one if it has a case and all.

Mike

2 Telefunken ECC83 which I think goes to the Jolida cd player? But might also go in the Scott?

4 ??? I didn't write it down cuz there was writing on the tubes. Now I see it doesn't say much. OTK and random numbers. I'll have to email and find out what these are. Russian? They are taller than the 2 Telefunkens. They are power tubes for the scott?

..."New is also a consideration and I notice quite a bit of Hong Kong equipment with attractive prices. I don't want anything exotic though, and want to keep the price under $500 so I can try tube technology and see if I like what I hear.

Any suggestions are appreciated."

Definately if you decide on vintage, Craig (NOSValves) is the right man for you to restore your classic amp.[Y]

But if you are also thinking about new amps from Hong Kong, then consider these eBay auctions from Edmund Lam and his inexpensive BEZ power amps. I own his Model T3B 300B SET power amp that only set me back $550 with shipping, but his latest offerings are easy to use without any "elaborate startup" adjustments as you put it. I don't think he has any phono stage in his amps, but an affordable phono preamp can be added (I use a good quality Music Hall that works quite well with my 'table, connected to my BEZ Model Q4B linestage pre).

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZzagger1QQssPageNameZSTRKQ3aMEFSQ3aMESOI

post-11084-13819281532528_thumb.jpg

Thanks all of you for all the comments, and several of you have alerted me to equipment that you would like to sell that might work well for me. Sorry I haven't replied but I'm busily digesting all the information and trying to find more information on a few brands I hadn't heard of before. The most consistent suggestion has been to work with NOSvalves with vintage equipment, and it's hard to argue with so many parallel recommendations.

2 Telefunken ECC83 which I think goes to the Jolida cd player? But might also go in the Scott?

4 ??? I didn't write it down cuz there was writing on the tubes. Now I see it doesn't say much. OTK and random numbers. I'll have to email and find out what these are. Russian? They are taller than the 2 Telefunkens. They are power tubes for the scott?

Meagain. the scott 299 takes 11 tubes total they are four 12ax7 tubes for the preamp section, two 6bl8 phase inverter tubes, four 7591 output tubes and one 5ar4 rectifier tube. Craig will most likly use russian tubes for the 7189 output tubes in your 299 tube amp. NOS factory 7189 output tubes would run over 100 dollars a quad set where the russian 7189 are about 40 dollers a quad set. Of couse maybe you are lucky and the output tubes in your 299 are still good. Telefunken 12ax7 tubes are very high, figure 125 for a good quad, maybe higher. You could always go with JJ Telsa 12ax7 electro harmonic 12ax7 or many other aftermarker brands that will only run about 40 to 50 bucks a quad set and sound really good.

I have most of the intro amps people recommend. Scott, Fisher, Dyanco. You can't go wrong with any of them. If you think you might want to learn to solder yourself, I can't recommend the Dynaco St-70 enough. The sound of a rebuilt St-70 matched to Klipsch gear is spectacular. The units I have I picked up on ebay or craigslist. What is nice is they have all appreciated somewhat over the past 10 years or so. It makes it easier to swallow spending rent money on a toy knowing you can resell it for no loss later (and maybe make a buck with a good pic & description on ebay).

What I wish I had done differently is spent the extra 50-100 bucks for units without any pitting. Units in pristine condition rightfully command a premium, and in my opinion the premium is still understated in the market. An extra 50-75 bucks gets a new-like non-pitted Dynaco St-70. Well worth it, and IMHO the spread is only going to grow between mint units and rust buckets. One viewing of the antique road show and you see the premium collectors pay for mint objects, and as vintage tube amplifiers become more scarce and more popular, which by all accounts they are, the premium for mint is going to rise.

peace,

TommyK

I've hooked up with a forum participant to purchase a Scott 222 that has been reworked by NOSvalves. This seems to be an ideal unit for me to get started, has moderate power output that will work well with my Cornwalls, and is in solid working condition. Thanks to all of you for the great advice.

Def - Congratulations! I look forward to hearing your opinion on it.

Arfz - The 4 extra tubes I got with the Scott 299b: There's a diamond shape logo with a '0'? in the center. Around the logo is "OTK" and a 2 on the other side. Below is 1 or 'I' then 85. Also 6n14n-eb with D185 below it.

The tubes I got for the Jolida (in addition to Amperex bugle boy) are telefunken ECC83.

Rick - I think the Jolida takes the ECC83 not 88? The manual just says 12ax7a (whatever that means).

I've hooked up with a forum participant to purchase a Scott 222 that has been reworked by NOSvalves. This seems to be an ideal unit for me to get started, has moderate power output that will work well with my Cornwalls, and is in solid working condition. Thanks to all of you for the great advice.

How much?

Well, I received the Scott LK-48 yesterday and I've had the opportunity to listen to it for a few hours now, both with vinyl and CD.

First of all, how nice to smell that hot tube smell I remember from my good old days.

I was pleased with the quiet operation of the controls. This unit has been reworked and updated by Craig at NOS Valves and the controls were clean and silent. That was one of my worries. The seller gave me copies of his correspondence with Craig so I've got a good handle on what has been done. Craig is just a half-hour away so it will be easy to get the unit to him when needed. There is no hum, hiss, thumps or bumps, unlike my SS equipment, which requires unplugging the speakers before turning off.

I started with the 8 ohm setting on the speaker hookups but will also try 4 ohms, which the seller preferred with his Khorns. I'm running Cornwalls, so they may end up staying at the 8 ohm setting.

The main thing I've noticed with the sound is the detail and texture in the low bass response with my Cornwalls. I have one recording with some low organ pedal notes that sound boomy with my Adcom. With the Scott, I can really feel the fundamental note. Very impressive, especially since the Adcom is 200 WPC and the Scott is 48. Highs are clean and and clear but I'm not sure if I'm getting the full range I get with the Adcom. I'll have to listen some more.

I'm also planning to look at the derived center channel on the unit and perhaps a mono amp to drive a center channel speaker.

I think I made a good choice for a starting place and I thank all of you once again for some great advice.