Some recommendations for a tube beginner?

Def Leper

I'd appreciate some recommendations for a basic tube setup that would work well with my Cornwalls. I don't need or want a high power setup, and I would actually prefer vintage equipment as long as it isn't a nuisance to set up and keep running. I also am firmly in the "music lover" camp and not the gear head camp, so I want to be able to turn the system on without a long and elaborate startup that I know some of you use. I prefer an all-tube solution that I can plug my current turntable and CD player into as sources.

Frankly, when I look at ebay, I see so many different tube amplifiers, including many classic names that I recognize like Dynaco, Macintosh, Scott, Marantz and others, that it is hard to even guess at what would be a good place for me to start. New is also a consideration and I notice quite a bit of Hong Kong equipment with attractive prices. I don't want anything exotic though, and want to keep the price under $500 so I can try tube technology and see if I like what I hear.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The various Scott integrated amps are a good place to start. The different versions of the 222 and 299 will fit your needs and budget. Fellow forum member NOSValves rebuilds them with great success. Lots of people here, myself included, have Scotts that have been worked over by him.

IMO the best deal on vintage gear is to purchase a recently (and competently) rebuilt unit. It can become pricey to find a decent original unit and then there is the cost of a good rebuild on top of that.

It can be a challenge to find these on Ebay or Audiogon, because one doesn't know the skill of the rebuild already done. If you can run across one on the forum that has been rebuilt by NOSValves, you can know the work has been done well.

Of your list of integrated tube amps, I do not know of a McIntosh one or a Marantz for that matter. They would both run you about triple for a pair of monoblocks and that would not include a preamp. The Dynaco would require a significant rebuild in the $300 range, so that leaves the Scott 299 B, C or D. A good phono stage, plus good power output with enough juice to run your Cornwalls. I have a LK-72 (Scott 299C) and enjoyed it until I was able to move up to my McIntosh MC-30's and Peach. A very good first start and if you go no further, then you could be happy for a long amount of time.

Just remember to have the amp checked by a reliable technician because the capacitors may be 40 years old and should be replaced. The tubes may also be on their last legs, depending on who owned the amp. Good luck on your search.

[:S] Duke, have you heard a refurbed Scott 299? You are scareing me.

What DO these Scotts sound like (in proper condition)?

Just curious, but how many people does it take to respond before you start to believe them?

There are numerous people on this board who have HH Scott amps that have been rebuilt by Craig. In all that time you have not heard one negative response, yet you continue to question whether they sound good or not. What gives here?

As many have said, you cannot beat this unit for under $500. Period! If Craig does his magic on it rest assured it will do your system justice. Are there better out there? Of course there is... but not at this price point imho.

Mike

Edit: I see you are getting yours tomorrow. Do yourself a favor and do not plug it in to see how it sounds, as you might be extremely disappointed by it. Just put it in a box and ship it directly to Craig. When you get it back you will be happy you did. Trust me on this.

I agree with all that has been said above but to add this. A good Fisher unit will sound great also. Scott is a very good vintage unit but so are the Fishers. Whatever you get, it will either just have been re-worked or will need to be re-worked so keep that in mind.

Look in the local recycler paper. My first venture into tubes, before I knew anything, I found a working Fisher 400 reciever for $225. It worked for about 4 months before the caps starded to go bad (enough to start hearing them) and it is sitting on a shelf, needing re-work. I loved the sound enough to buy better gear rather than fix it. A re-worked unit will make you happy for quite a while.

'Dems semi-fighting words there Mr. Lindsey. [:)]

I 'am' getting it tonight and already exchanged a few PMs with Craig, and I 'am' going to send it off to him (barring any surprises). Yes, I've read the positive posts here and also some assorted comments like 'damping factor', 'very' warm, and Duke's blurb above. I also have to take into account the type of music people are listening to with it but that's hard to figure out. I think 'warm' could be bad if too much and yes, it concerns me as to how I'll personally like the sound. For instance, right now I have (IMO) good bass punch from the khorns. If that's chilled out or softened a bit - not happy. Proper bass is incredibly important to me.

Before buying the khorns, I read a few that they lacked bass and needed a sub. After I got them home, I couldn't fathom what the heck they were talking about. Hopefully the same end result will occur here, and in the worse case I lose $150-200 bucks and had a good learning experience. But yea, I'm curious as to what I'm in for and what to expect sound-wise.

'Dems semi-fighting words there Mr. Lindsey. [:)]

Well.. I might have been a little harsh, but you know where I'm coming from.

In my own humble opinion, if this unit is right (ie: looked over by Craig) you will not be disappointed in it whatsoever. Do you have a turntable? If so, your vinyl will sound as good as it ever has.

Mike

Do you have a turntable? If so, your vinyl will sound as good as it ever has.

Mike

this should tell You where yer at, Megain .....[:o]

Totally different Listening Tastes ...

I want .... Slam ...!....[:)]

i want to feel the Amp ...suck back that Woofer.........WHACK !!!!.........Taunt as a Snare Drum head

a Damping factor of 20, aint gonna git it

What are you implying? That vinyl is not capable of generating slam like a cd does? Give me a break!

Why don't you just throw your speakers in the back of your car, and then you can be like everybody else who's into slam.

I'm done with this thread, and done with responding to her posts.

Mike