tube info

jcmusic

Options are endless. What's your budget? Speakers? Do you like to tinker, tweak and fiddle? Or do you want something you can plug in and forget about.

I always suggest tube newbies find a nice Dyanco ST70 and PAS preamp to get your feet wet. There are whole forums devoted to helping people with Dynaco's so you're never left helpless. Resale value is good, you can usually resell the stuff for what you paid for it. That combo can give you a good idea of what tubes are all about and can be had for about $500. B ut you might have to do a little tinkering to get the things up to snuff.

Anything you buy new will lose a lot of it's value as soon as you plug it in.

Well, that's a good opener....

This might be a consideration. These are built (I should say rebuilt) to a very high standard, and are also IMO very appealing visually -- if one happens to be interested in rather retro-art deco looking audio equipment. I am, which is why I post this here.

I have some experience with tubes, and I would buy one of these right now if I could -- and if I wasn't in the market for another Teac digital amp.

Erik

(oops forgot to copy) see post below, or I'll edit this one.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1144286690 there it is.

My budget for this first time is $1000.00 for both amp and pre-amp. I like to tinker a little, but until i know a little more about what iam doing let's keep it simple. I have a pair of 1977 k-horns all original. What kind of power do i need and so on? Thanks Jay.

I'd suggest to go with a Merlin preamp. If you need to stick with a SS poweramp for a while no prob. Get a tube poweramp later when you can. Might as well start out with a preamp you could keep from now on.

I have driven a $100 Teac digital amp with a Merlin preamp and the sound is absolutely killer.

My budget for this first time is $1000.00 for both amp and pre-amp. I like to tinker a little, but until i know a little more about what iam doing let's keep it simple. I have a pair of 1977 k-horns all original. What kind of power do i need and so on? Thanks Jay.

If this is your first trip into the vacuum tube world, I'd suggest looking into a rebuilt vintage Scott 299 or Fisher 500 series integrated amp to start. Either of those rebuilt will make your Khorns absolutely sing. You can sample them, and decide if in fact you like the tube sound at a reasonable pricepoint. If you end up deciding it's not for you, then you can always sell it and get most, or all of your money back. Both series can be purchased and rebuilt well within your budget. If you like the sound you may decide to spend more and go with seperates down the road.

For some helpful guidance, I'd recommend contacting Craig Ostby over at NOSValves.com. Pick his brain. He's very knowledgeable, has extensive experience, is extremely helpful and will offer many suggestions within your price range.

The best tubed preamps you will ever find are here, contact Mark........ http://www.juicymusicaudio.com/index.html I own his Blueberry, and can confidently say, you won't find a better preamp.

The best tube amp you can get is here, contact Craig..... http://www.nosvalves.com/vrd.htm I do not have a pair of his amp, but will in less than a month.

Both are member here, and will give your solid advise. As for power, well, you can never have enough CLEAN POWER, but your Khorns will require a miniscule amount. But aim for 30W min. I'm running 2 60W amps, and they are grossly over powered for Khorns, your ears will bleed before you even begin to work the amps.

Good luck on your gear choice. Oh, before I forget, Craig (aka NOSValves) would also be an excellent source for dependable 2nd Hand gear.

Dee:

"I have driven a $100 Teac digital amp with a Merlin preamp and the sound is absolutely killer"

No doubt about that. I have one here to experiment with that Shawn modified -- not the usual powersupply stuff or replacement binding posts (which IMO are already adequate), but some circuit gain changes that make an already extremely quiet performer even more so.

The 4th channel is easily brought to life (it already is alive, and just needs the input/output connections made), and for the price (and for me) has been among the very best amplifiers I have heard. That's four channels of very clean power for very efficient horns. For surround sound, hard to beat, IMO.

Erik

"I have driven a $100 Teac digital amp with a Merlin preamp and the sound is absolutely killer. " ====== Hey Dee -- what amp ARE you using now? md

A real sweet pair of Mark III's. Took this Merlin/MarkIII combo to the Klipsch gathering in Hope last September. It was a nice showoff for the Merlin.

Oh yeh, I do like the sound better than with the Teac, but the Teac is no slouch.

Here is another pair just like Dee's:

1139101016.jpg

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1144285313

Rick

Yep, I snatched that pic off audiogon since I don't have a pic handy of my amps. Same builder, same scheme.

That autospec does some very fine work at near give away prices IMO.

Erik Mandaville gave me the heads up on these last year.

Thanks Erik. I still enjoy them.