Another Pinched Waist bites the dust.

tigerwoodKhorns

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna lose it. My Pinched Waist tube just cut out again. It only seems to happen once in a while when I firt start up the stereo. I leave it off. Happens after about 10 to 20 minutes of listening after startup.

The tube is still under warranty. I'm going to have to send it back. Man, I really like this tube! It was worth the $250 in my opinion, but not if it is going to go south after the warranty period. The EI's never did this. And, as soon as I plug an EI back in, the Peach fires right back up.

What gives? Has anyone ever heard of this? What would cause the tube to suddenly stop working, but then after it cools off, it starts working again?

I really do not want to send this tube back but I am going to have to and this is the end of NOS tubes for me. This one really is NOS - looks brand new. If I cannot be sure of the quality or reliability of a tube like this, I give up, its just not worth the headache.

I have some Philips 6922's in the LoZ sockets. Someone here said they were good tubes in the Peach. I don't really use LoZ but when I took the Philips out of my AH and plugged in a pair of Russian 6H23 "Rockets" the bass response really improved. I have a Rocket in the Peach's HiZ slot and it is going to stay. Should I get a "Platinum Grade" rocket from Kevin Deal for the HiZ and put my other set of Rockets in the LoZ mode?

I have a set of Amperex 6922 PQ's in the AH but think I should just leave them there. They will last forever in there. I don't want to put them in the Peach. Its not the Peach's fault, but I am getting Gun Shy after two bad Pinched Waist tubes.

Some answers to the above questions please?

Chris

PS - Still not even thinking about getting rid of the Peach - love this thing!

Chris,

Cant really answer your question but a tube you might want to look at is at this link.They are saying alot of good things about it at the Decware forum.Its a cryoed version of the 6h23 labeled 6h23n-EB.

http://www.tubeman.com/item224.htm

what they have to say at Decware

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Tubes;action=display;num=1138396879

Greg

Greg,

Looks interesting. I really like the russian rockets. Actually, I have been listening to one in the Peach all night and it does sound good. Nice bass.

Not sure about the whole cryo thing. I studied material science in engineering school. Heat (or lack of heat) treatments change the crystilline structure of a material, but then again, a tube filament gets red hot, which should negate the changes.

I only need one and for $75 a pair, if they are tested and work well, it is probably worth a try. Want to split a pair?

Chris

Greg,

Looks interesting. I really like the russian rockets. Actually, I have been listening to one in the Peach all night and it does sound good. Nice bass.

Not sure about the whole cryo thing. I studied material science in engineering school. Heat (or lack of heat) treatments change the crystilline structure of a material, but then again, a tube filament gets red hot, which should negate the changes.

I only need one and for $75 a pair, if they are tested and work well, it is probably worth a try. Want to split a pair?

Chris

Actually I would need 2,got monoblocks,you can get 1 for $40.Sorry otherwise I would go for it.

Greg

Chris:

Sorry to hear about your negative experiences with the pinched waist tubes. If I were you, I would not give up on NOS tubes. Many NOS provide sonic improvements over their newer counterparts, and not all NOS tubes are as troublesome as the ones you have tried. That being said, if you are happy with the Russian Rockets in your Peach - stop there.

As stated in GaryMd's thread, I really think it has something to do with Amperex tubes. You should try some nice Siemens or Telefunken (or even Mullards) before you totally give up on NOS tubes in your Peach.

Carl.

I don't know what a PW is. But if this is the second tube to demonstrate this failure, I would be tempted to turn the amp over and check the soldering at the socket. If the PW is a large tube, you might want to touch the pins with your iron to make sure they don't have a loose, unsoldered wire. This is more common that you might believe.

Don't give up until you have exausted the possibilities.

Mind you, this is just the wandering mind of an old bench tech.

DRBILL

Dr. Bill:

When Chris speaks in term of a "PW," he is talking about a pinched-waist, a particular type of Amperex tube where the glass of the tube tapers near the socket (supposedly due to a production irregularity). The tubes are rare and supposedly great-sounding. I initially had similar thoughts as yours, but another forum member has had problems with "PWs" in his JuicyMusic preamp, and I have had some problems with other Amperex tubes that are similar to what Chris is describing (though not pinch-waist). And Chris does not appear to have those problems when he puts a new tube in that slot.

Chris:

Acknowledged on the risk and reward thing. However, I would be skeptical that a tube behaving such as you are describing could cause further damage in the Peach. However, Mark would be the expert on the subject. My only point is that I have owned four other brands (and various styles) of NOS tubes, and the only NOS tubes I have had major problems with have been Amperex. So, not all NOS are as unreliable as your run of luck. And, some of these NOS tubes have only run me $40-$75 each as opposed to what you paid for the PW. Then again, I have bought some very expensive tubes (early '60s Siemens CCas - the real thing) that go for PW prices, and they have also been very reliable. Just a thought.

Carl.

I don't know what a PW is. But if this is the second tube to demonstrate this failure, I would be tempted to turn the amp over and check the soldering at the socket. If the PW is a large tube, you might want to touch the pins with your iron to make sure they don't have a loose, unsoldered wire. This is more common that you might believe.

Don't give up until you have exausted the possibilities.

Mind you, this is just the wandering mind of an old bench tech.

DRBILL

This is a very good idea!

about 3 weeks ago went to turn on system and no power on one of the monos,checked fuses,power to,all tubes,asked for help on decware site,after hrs with no music I opened it up.I found a broken solder joint at the power switch,it had been loose for awhile and finally seperated.

never thought that would happen but...you never know!

Greg