Name That Engine.....

Gilbert

The 740i has all the right ingredients to be a very fine and capable sports car actually, as do all BMWs.

BTW, my little MX-5 doesn't wobble either at 130mph. In fact, it's hugging the road quite well at those speeds.

I can't imagine an MX-5 feeling stable at 130mph (unless it's a straight line, dead straight), much less capable of running that speed for any real length of time. Sure it might be able to get there (eventually), but at that speed, the MX5 just has to start floating and feel light. Not Planted, no way.

It's been awhile, but I've driven a miata at speed. Was quite impressed with the vehicle, but it is no high speed cruiser or barn stormer like the 7 series. The 7 will run 130mph all day long without so much as a hick-up. Plus the 7 will do it carrying 4 adult passengers and full luggage, comfortably.

True, the Miata isn't designed for speed, and it's not like I drive at those speeds all the time. However, the few times that I have, (I was coming back from Orlando (50 miles) at about 3 or 4 in the morning with no traffic) non-stop and the car was just purring along. Granted, my top speed is 130mph because I just simply run out of gear at that point right under the 7200 redline in 5th gear. But as far as stability is concerned, this car feels much more secure at 130mph than it does at 80mph, and feels much better than my old '96 Nissan 200sx SE-R that topped out at 164mph, or my last car which was an '02 Hyundai Sonata which was governed at 125mph.

Now my friend's '04 Nissan 350Z feels a little better at that speed, but that's probably because it's alot heavier than mine and designed more towards speed.

My Miata just hunkers down to the road above 100mph and keeps a tight grip on the road, even through some of the somewhat tight turns on the interstate. Well, they aren't tight turns at 70mph, but they start to feel that way at 130mph. [:D]

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since I had luck posting one photo, I figure I need to try again (for practice).

So, here's a "beauty shot" of my other toy.

James

(oops, I guess that photo file is just too big, my dialup connection timed out twice trying to upload it, so my other toy will remain a secret)

Since I had luck posting one photo, I figure I need to try again (for practice).

So, here's a "beauty shot" of my other toy.

James

(oops, I guess that photo file is just too big, my dialup connection timed out twice trying to upload it, so my other toy will remain a secret)

Dialup?! What's that?!?! LOL j/k [;)]

Anyway, eventhough a lot of people didn't think the 928 was a true Porsche and didn't like them, I always have. I thought, and still do think they are an excellent looking car. I would love to have one!

post-15109-138192864076_thumb.jpg

post-15109-13819290694314_thumb.jpg

post-15109-1381929466134_thumb.jpg

I'll catch hell for this, but corvettes use to trill me. I guess they do for most young testosterone junkies, but as time passed, I saw them more and more as a Red Neck or White Trash sports car. Todays Z06 is the first Corvette to stir my interest in a very long long time.

Let me take you for a ride in my little ole C4 POS (the perception of most) and it'll be the ride of your life, rest assured. As a side note, I am still waiting to be passed by my first Z06. Not saying they can't do it (certainly modified with a good driver), but I have gone by probably 30 or so now (not the C6) without any of them returning the favor.

Mike

I'll catch hell for this, but corvettes use to trill me. I guess they do for most young testosterone junkies, but as time passed, I saw them more and more as a Red Neck or White Trash sports car. Todays Z06 is the first Corvette to stir my interest in a very long long time.

Let me take you for a ride in my little ole C4 POS (the perception of most) and it'll be the ride of your life, rest assured. As a side note, I am still waiting to be passed by my first Z06. Not saying they can't do it (certainly modified with a good driver), but I have gone by probably 30 or so now (not the C6) without any of them returning the favor.

Mike

If I still had my Nissan 200sx SE-R, I'd line up with you. I don't know what you can do in the 1/4 mile, but my best time with that car was an 11.7s @ 114mph on 17" street rubber and a slipping clutch. It was dynoed at 337hp to the front wheels running an mixture of 116 octane and alcohol @ 18psi. (stock sr20de motor and no intercooler)

If I still had my Nissan 200sx SE-R, I'd line up with you. I don't know what you can do in the 1/4 mile, but my best time with that car was an 11.7s @ 114mph on 17" street rubber and a slipping clutch. It was dynoed at 337hp to the front wheels running an mixture of 116 octane and alcohol @ 18psi. (stock sr20de motor and no intercooler)

I am not a drag racer, but have turned 12.1's at 120 (2.1 60's) on street tires. I'm sure with a better driver and drag radials it wouldn't have any trouble running mid 11's. Regardless, it's not what this car was built for, and not my cup of tea...

Mike

I am not a drag racer, but have turned 12.1's at 120 (2.1 60's) on street tires. I'm sure with a better driver and drag radials it wouldn't have any trouble running mid 11's. Regardless, it's not what this car was built for, and not my cup of tea...

Mike

Yeah, it's not something I'd want to go do every weekend, but it is fun once every 10th blue moon. Personally, I haven't been to the track in 6+ years now. I still want to take my Miata out on a road course some day, but I don't want to go to those "parking lot" autocross races. I'd much rather go on a real track. Where do you usually go? You're just on the other side of Orlando and I can't think of any tracks near by.

Gilbert,

If you like that one take a look at its BIG Brother. This is the Pratt & Whitney R-4360

4 rows 28 cylinders total. They did put one of these on one version of the F4U corsair.

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/4980/engine9.html

Steve

Oh my god, that is one wild looking beast of an engine. I'd give my left nut for ride in anything with that kinda power. And the Corsair is gorgeous. Man!, I think I'd go wild were you work, so much cool stuff.