Upgrade to Denon 5805 or seperate amps

JackH

For the money the 5805 costs, it would be silly not to buy separates since they will easily outperform a receiver. Get a dedicated AV Tuner Preamp/Processor and 7 channel amp or 4 2-channel amps and you will be much better off.

Adding outboard amplification to the 3805 will help considerably, and will be a gain in performance and doing so will allow you to dump the 3805 at some point and get a dedicated AV Pre/Pro.

Your call.

Use you 3805 as a pre/pro and do like Frzn said add out board amps. Will be a big improvement.

Then you can save your money for the real important stuff like super-conductor silver cables manufactured in a Hyperbaric<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

chamber![;)][:D]

I have a Denon 3805 and am considering and upgrade to outboard amps for all 7 channels or trading the 3805 in on a Denon 5805.

Any recommendations?

Just to get an idea of pricing and what is available on the market, take a glance at the equipment listed at www.audiogon.com

I vote for seperates because of the flexibility of being able to swap out components in the future.

I would go with a seperate amp instead of that beast. I have looked

very hard at the denon 5805 but in all honesty I have a great power amp

(Onkyo M504)my only problem is switching. With everything going to hdmi

and 1080p for video I want a pre that would deliver the switching I

need and will need. Plus as far as surrounds and center go I have been

quite pleased with the performance of my Denon 3801's amp. I have

decided based on early reviews the new Denon 2807 is going to be the

one. Offers more than the current 3806 and is 200 bucks less. It also

has the Audyssey MultEQ XT auto setup/calibration. Retail will be 1200

bucks. For me this would be excellent as I would continue to use my

Onkyo to drive the La Scala's. Anyway you could find a sweet amp to

mate this with and you would have one heck of a setup and at half the

cost or there abouts. Besides I would hate to put all of my eggs into

one basket. Cause if one broke I'd have to take them all back.

Food for thought

anyway thats my 2 cents

scooter

Soundog is right when it comes to Outlaw Audio products, they are

excellent in their price points. The only problem I see with their

current lineup is the lack of hdmi switching. Granted there is dvi

switching but that means any future products you buy would have to go

from dvi to hdmi plus dvi is only video where as hdmi is both video and

audio. But you as joe consumer need to determine what type of switching

you will need over the next 3-5 years. But like I said Outlaw makes

good stuff.

scooter

For the money the 5805 costs, it would be silly not to buy separates since they will easily outperform a receiver. Get a dedicated AV Tuner Preamp/Processor and 7 channel amp or 4 2-channel amps and you will be much better off.

Adding outboard amplification to the 3805 will help considerably, and will be a gain in performance and doing so will allow you to dump the 3805 at some point and get a dedicated AV Pre/Pro.

Your call.

What Frzn sez. Even adding a 2 ch amp to cover the main L/R will give you cleaner, more powerful Stereo sound and will take some of the heat off the power supplies when running 5.1 or 7.1. You can keep adding amps which will further ease the burden on the 3805 until you have everything into outboard amps, then add the Killer-Diller processor of your choice. Voila- easy rollout into the world of separates.

I should probably consider doing this myself. Even with LS in front and CW in rear, my Yammie 2400 is tapped out lots of times when in HT mode. Just not enough balls.

Michael

I have had the 5805 since late last April, driving 4 K'horns (front and rear corners), a Belle (center), two Heresy IIs (sides) and a Velodyne FSR-18 sub and I love the sound. Previous set up was 1998 vintage separate Denons (8000 series pre-pro with the 8300 amp for the fronts and a 8200 amp for the rears.) The 5805 beats the crap out of the older separate set-up.

Most folks on this forum do favor separates, but again, I am very, very pleased with the 5805.