Another stupid lawsuit!

skonopa

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the article real fast, and I didn't find anything about noise canceling headphones... I never knew that the ipod can go up to 116 dB. Thats insane, my cd player can only go up to 108 dB with the db meter right against the headphone. People now days..... sue of dumb things. Which makes it funny because I was watching an old dvd today in class that was made back in 2003. I don't know if anyone remembers this incident about suing Mc. Donalds how they made the 2 girls fat.

Jeff 1 Arthur 0

Irresponsible Consumers 1

From our Texas Supreme Court. The law is quite similar in all states.

Happy reading! [:D]

Well, I tried to attach a Word doc, and it was rejected. Too bad! [:(] You'd have loved this case.

In your mind,in the cold real world you concinced who? Yourself [:D]

Word doc 1 Jeff 0 you lost attempting to attach a document and you won! Quite a definition of winning you have here! [:$]

Jeff 1 Arthur 0

Irresponsible Consumers 1

From our Texas Supreme Court. The law is quite similar in all states.

Happy reading! [:D]

Well, I tried to attach a Word doc, and it was rejected. Too bad! [:(] You'd have loved this case.

In your mind,in the cold real world you concinced who? Yourself [:D]

Word doc 1 Jeff 0 you lost attempting to attach a document and you won! Quite a definition of winning you have here! [:$]

No, that was my predicate to your reading the doc I tried to attach. In the REAL world, I win. That's the law!

It is an opinion in an actual case that explains the product liability law in a way you might understand and actually agree with - or at least learn to appreciate.

READ the case! It is the "Holy Grail" of products liability law, and after you read it, you will see the the iPod case is not at all far-fetched.

Basically, guy screws up and mounts 16" tire on 16.5" rim. Big warning with picture of tire exploding and throwing person, along with words DO NOT MOUNT ON 16.5" RIM OR YOU MAY DIE are on the tire.

He goofs, and he is hurt real bad. It was shown that tire company knew of safer design that would prevent tire from exploding if mounted on 16.5" rim. Thus, it was held, when you can make it safe in the first place, a warning about danger is not good enough. (i.e. Safety First).

Product liability law is designed to protect the dumb, as well as the smart - the inattentive, as well as the attentive, etc. And for good reason. Even if the guy screwed up, the tire company should have made the tire safe, as opposed to only warning him it could be dangerous.

The verdict was a gift to Goofy.As the instructions/warning label clearly states it is dangerous. In this case Mr Goofy should get no compansation.You again want to show a point,point taken.But was it fair,no it was NOT.

The label on detergent says TOXIC and I drink it anyway.Then win because the company could have made it even safer...safe to drink! You see Jeff almost ANYTHING you own,I won we all own could be made safer,in many cases alot safer.But most people will not sue when they know it ws thier own fault.

The verdict was a gift to Goofy.As the instructions/warning label clearly states it is dangerous. In this case Mr Goofy should get no compansation.You again want to show a point,point taken.But was it fair,no it was NOT.

The label on detergent says TOXIC and I drink it anyway.Then win because the company could have made it even safer...safe to drink! You see Jeff almost ANYTHING you own,I won we all own could be made safer,in many cases alot safer.But most people will not sue when they know it ws thier own fault.

Did you read the case? Your analogy is no good. Here's why:

(1) Tire company knew people were trying to install these tires on 16.5" rims - that's why they warned against it.

(2) Detergent company probably does not have too many instances, if any, where people drink detergent.

(3) Even if detergent company knew of people drinking detergent, it is doubtful a drinkable detergent is attainable under our current technology where the drinkable detergent would clean as well as the hazardous stuff (technology/utility).

(4) In the tire case, the technology to make it safe (idiot proof) was in place and actually being used by many others.

To follow up more on your observations....

If technology was readily available to produce gasoline that was non-flammable and would still power our normal cars, and if that non-flammable gas would not cost any more than our flammable gas.............. you guessed it, it would be time for them to make the gas safer. If they refused, they might be called upon to answer in liability for not doing so. After that, they might decide the liability is not worth it and make the switch. Then, there'd be fewer gas explosions, and more idiots, inattentive people, etc. would be alive.

This also protects non-idiots, by the way. There is always risk that a smart guy will get killed by a dumba$$ broke-dic$ smoking a cigarette near a gas container.

Did you read the case? Your analogy is no good. Here's why:

(1) Tire company knew people were trying to install these tires on 16.5" rims - that's why they warned against it.

(2) Detergent company probably does not have too many instances, if any, where people drink detergent.

(3) Even if detergent company knew of people drinking detergent, it is doubtful a drinkable detergent is attainable under our current technology where the drinkable detergent would clean as well as the hazardous stuff (technology/utility).

(4) In the tire case, the technology to make it safe (idiot proof) was in place and actually being used by many others.

If this was clearly proven they were cutting corners,yes the plaintiff was awarded a just verdict. But your stretching tires over iPods is not a case of cutting corners but of pure IRRESPONSIBLE use and careless parents.

I have nothing against the safest products possible.The safer the better. Who am I,a ghoul?

What makes me ill is a man,an adult who sues Apple because he can damage his hearing when he decides to max the volume and listen to metallica for a prolonged time.This falls directly under I can walk across the four lane highway because I so decide and if anything hits me I am not responsible..THEY ARE.

Mounting tires that had corners cut during design and testing to "IGNORE" a known issue is criminal. Not the same case at all.

Very good! We're getting close.

Now, between the irresponsible parent and the kid, who gets hurt? The innocent kid.

If the mfg. has the ability to protect the innocent kid from the idiot parent - all at no extra cost or real burden - then, we want the mfg. to make the safer product.

That does not make the idiot parent a non-idiot. It does, however, promote safety for the sake of innocent victims.

That's an interesting document.

The problem with these cases seems to be the weight given to technicalities over common sense. I think this is why folks look unfavorably upon many court decisions.

Someone ignored warnings (complete with illustrations) and was injured. The case ends up being decided on engineering technicalities - which were only applicable had someone chosen to ignore said warnings and proper safety procedures.

Once again, this looks llike another "deep pockets" case. The little guy is injured after doing something stupid. The employer (shallow pockets here) did not provide the proper safety equipment. But those greedy corporations. Ah, yes! There's the cash cow.

Does anyone really think that if the facts of this case were laid out for 100 people to decide (no jury "instructions" - just the facts) that most rationally thinking people would say that the employee caused his own injuries?