New CD player

jpm

Firstly, I love the sound of my British Rega gear. It's really, really nice. I've been told my system is very tube-sounding. Anyway, I just ordered the new Rega Apollo CD player, and am trading in my Planet. I'm excited to hear it... my dealer says it phenomenal, and he hasn't steered me wrong yet.

See it here:

http://www.rega.co.uk/index2.htm

I'm also considering mono-blocking with the Rega Exxon mono amps (125 per speaker). This wouldn't be bi-amping, just using one amp per speaker. Not sure whether to do this or not. Any thoughts?

Firstly, I love the sound of my British Rega gear. It's really, really nice. I've been told my system is very tube-sounding. Anyway, I just ordered the new Rega Apollo CD player, and am trading in my Planet. I'm excited to hear it... my dealer says it phenomenal, and he hasn't steered me wrong yet. See it here: http://www.rega.co.uk/index2.htm I'm also considering mono-blocking with the Rega Exxon mono amps (125 per speaker). This wouldn't be bi-amping, just using one amp per speaker. Not sure whether to do this or not. Any thoughts?

jpm,

Your dealer did not steer you wrong. I've had my Apollo for almost a week now, and I was impressed from the first CD I played. When I've had more hours on the deck, as well as more time to write some of my impressions, I'll post them. I also started a post 2 weeks ago that I was adding an Apollo to my system. I think you'll be very pleased with your purchase. I AM!

Klipsch out.

My planet sounds sweet too. I sure hope there's a big difference for the extra bucks.

jpm,

I have had the original Rega Planet, not the second edition, for many years now. I've only heard the second edition Planet once, and did not feel moved enough to upgrade at that point. The Apollo is another animal altogether. IMHO, it IS worth the dollars. See the remarks in my other Apollo post.

Klipsch out

That's what my dealer told me too. I was going to upgrade the amp, but he said forget that... get the new Apollo. Biggest single change to my system. The on-board chip evidently analyzes each CD and adjusts the sound accordingly. For $999, it's a killer deal too.

I loved the way my second hand original Planet sounded and I have no way of knowing just how lightly used it actually was when i picked it up anout two years ago for $400.. Anyway about two months after I put it into my main system it began to skip,....lightly at first and only on music that had quite abit of bass in it. But soon after that it began to skip with ANY music. I tried isolation etc. ect. hoping in vain that I could make it work normally, but such was not the case.

I called the North American Dist. in Texas and spoke to the Porduct manager who is a very nice fella from the UK who told me that many of Rega's customers bought one of their CD players because they was loyal to Rega's products and quite frankly expected their CD players to last as long as some of the other audio offerings Rega offers.

Bottom line he told me that CD players do wear out and my problem sounded like the lazer or the transport was going or had gone out. He went on to explain that repairing it might be more than it was worth and that I sould send it in and he gave me a "Code" to include upon returning it.

He said they would make me an excellent deal on one of their new products if it was indeed dead,....I never sent it in. Maybe I will at one point and see what they might be able to do for me.

The Regas I have heard are quite good for digital playback.

Support for defective units storys on this forum have not shown Rega to be very customer sensitive.

THe dealer imlying that it is nornal for a CD player to wear out in 3-5 years is fine if you pay less than 200 USD MSRP. For a audiophile (how I hate the word) grade component that is really poor life expectancy.

My JA MIchel TT is 16 years old and looks to have many years of life left. Why should consumers tolerate such a short life expectancy from a CD player.

• 5 months later...

I'm using the Rega Exon 3 mono-blocks and Cursa 3 preamp with my Belle's, and I am really pleased with the combination. I also use an Aragon 8008 Mk II with the Aragon 28K Mk ii preamp. Two totally different sounding set-ups, but both are really pleasing.

I'm on my second Planet, but neither have given me any trouble. That said, the transport mechanism is on the fruity side and I can see where, 8 - 10 years outside of manufacture date and, in some cases on owner number who knows what, some Planets could develop issues.

• Moderators

I'm on my second Planet, but neither have given me any trouble. That said, the transport mechanism is on the fruity side and I can see where, 8 - 10 years outside of manufacture date and, in some cases on owner number who knows what, some Planets could develop issues.

Who makes Rega's transport, Phillips? My next purchase is a CD player, I am finally breaking down and will put digital in my 2 channel system.

Travis