Peach (HT button) question

Coytee

Mark or Craig,

I really had not thought of this. I have a Dyna SCA 35 that has phono ability. If I rebuild it, I can add a preamp-out/amplifier-in RCA loop and run the pre-out to the Peach for phono use (I would use the power amp part of the SCA for my midrange drivers on my active crossover).

The only problem with this is that for phono I would be giving up the outstanding Peach preamp and replacing it with the Dyna preamp portion. So, another question, can I add RCA outs at an appropriate point in the Dyna's circuit so that I can run it into one of the Peach's four regular inputs?

Thanks,

Chris

Last night I found that the HT mode is perfect for going direct from a PC to the amps (VRDs). Plenty of output from the soundcard (Audigy 2 ZS).

I also found that it sounds fine going from a Scott 299 tape out into the Peach HT mode direct to the VRDs.

I'm glad I tried this because it opens up another set of line level inputs by using the HT input for my PC.

Last night I found that the HT mode is perfect for going direct from a PC to the amps (VRDs). Plenty of output from the soundcard (Audigy 2 ZS).

I also found that it sounds fine going from a Scott 299 tape out into the Peach HT mode direct to the VRDs.

I'm glad I tried this because it opens up another set of line level inputs by using the HT input for my PC.

If anyone could translate this for stupid me, I'd be appreciative. How exactly is this Scott being used? And also the PC. I also wonder if I could bypass my Scott 299b's integrated pre-amp to be able to use the Peach to kick things up a few notches?

Question about the HT switch....when engaged, is it just a straight

wire connection? Or is it acting like a preamp (with all the associated

circuitry). Does the switch come packaged with the unit or is it an

extra addon? It seems to me like this switch is merely acting like a

line-level AB switcher (in essence just switching between the cd and

dvd player).

If I were 50% or more into HT I don't think I would consider going this route...

Now if the peach had dolby/dts decoding capability with 8 analog

line-level outs, then that would definetly be something I would

consider.

When you are getting into 5.1 and DVD-Audio (and the quality of processors), that is not usually the focus here in the two-channel section. For music, most listen to two-channel or add a matrixed center along with it.

Depending if you are talking about true DVD-Audio and SACD (running five separate analog outputs from your player to the AVR - and depending on the DVD player's processor) or if you are running concert DVDs from an digital out (and depending on the processor in the AVR to do the decoding), that may dictate if you need to upgrade your DVD player or your AVR processor first (and which would make the most sense quality-wise to do so).

This is what I do, as I found the DACs in my DVD player exceeded those in my Denon 4800. So when monitoring the DVD, I set my AVR to EXT-IN (External Inputs) as opposed to DTS or Dolby 5.1. Actually, I run them from my DVD player to an Outlaw ICBM, which controls the Bass x-over for each of the channels, and then from the ICBM to the External Inputs on the AVR.

My DVD-A's, and even DTS and 5.1 recordings sound killer with this configuration!

Mike

Question about the HT switch....when engaged, is it just a straight wire connection? Or is it acting like a preamp (with all the associated circuitry). Does the switch come packaged with the unit or is it an extra addon? It seems to me like this switch is merely acting like a line-level AB switcher (in essence just switching between the cd and dvd player).

If I were 50% or more into HT I don't think I would consider going this route...

Now if the peach had dolby/dts decoding capability with 8 analog line-level outs, then that would definetly be something I would consider.

Why not use the Peach of you are 50% or more HT. In HT mode, the Peach is merely acting as a piece of wire direct to your power amp. So, essentially, it does have dolby/dts decoding and 8 line level outs, because it will ahve whatever capabilities that your HT receiver has in as much as in HT you are bypassing the Peach. This is the best of both worlds if you do not have room for both a theater and a 2 channel room in your home.

Chris

If I was big into HT, I would be worrying more about matching timbre

between all the speakers.....thus more inclined to run my mains off the

reciever's amplifier instead - or my multichannel amp if that's what I

was using. This of course would require an AB amp switcher (which

you'll notice doesn't exist on the market due to the "dummy proofing"

involved). I suppose you could just run all the analog pre-outs into

the same kind of amp being used for 2-channel, but in doing so you will

still have to compromise in one area - either you pick an amp that

sounds good with the peach preamp or you pick an amp that sounds good

with the reciever preamp. And if you argue that the difference would be

negligible (which is something I'd argue), then why in the world would

one get a peach when there is a perfectly adequate preamp stage in the

receiver? [;)]

just playin a lil devil's advocate....

If anyone could translate this for stupid me, I'd be appreciative. How exactly is this Scott being used? And also the PC. I also wonder if I could bypass my Scott 299b's integrated pre-amp to be able to use the Peach to kick things up a few notches?

Basically, what I have is two rooms in my basement set up for listening. All of the equipment is in 1 room altogether in a couple of racks. I also have my PC in that room and 3 CD players. The Peach/VRDs are running LaScalas (with a Scott LK-72 running a center LaScala). I have a second system consisting of a Scott 299 running cornwalls that are located in the other room. I can use the pre outs of the Scott 299 into the HT mode of the Peach and play that system source in both rooms. I kind of just found out I could do that last night (duh). The better deal is finding out my PC sound card has enough output to play straight into VRDs through the HT mode. That frees up a set of inputs on the back of the Peach.

Hope this explains it better. That HT mode is pretty handy.

• 1 month later...

I think this is the usual setup using the Peach HT input. When in 2 channel, obviously the Peach runs the 2 channel amp and front speakers. When doing HT, you flip the Peach to HT and your HT receiver device has it's front line levels running THROUGH the Peach to the 2 channel amp for the front speakers. The remaining speakers are powered from the HT receiver and only the HT receiver volume control is required. (NOTE: I am NOT an HT guy and don't own any HT gear. Various HT receivers may or may not permit this kind of hookup, but this is how my customers report using the feature.) md

I have a question.... If in HT mode, the AVR's preamp is pushing the 2-ch amp. Thus one can a/b another preamp with the peach. Correct? Then my question is - Is the Peach in HT bypass mode, affecting nothing? It's a pure, clean, true mechanical bypass of the Peach? Or is there some little iota of flavor from the Peach instilled to the AVR/preamp, etc. plugged into Peach's HT bypass? Is 'anything' at all coloring the AVR's pre?

3dzapper wrote:

Meagain. Are you going to dump your HK? If not, you could run the HK through the tape loop on the Peach. Then you would be able to use the HK's remote for a volume control. Since you will be puttering around the house not engaged in critical listening you won't loose much. For critical listening, your inputs would be through the Peach only.

Just an idea.

RickAnd - doing the above as Rick mentions would be the same as hooking the HK AVR to the HT bypass. Yes?