Peach (HT button) question

Coytee

Setup: The Peach has a HT switch. This switch, allows you to totally bypass the Peach controls and feed a HT signal into the amps attached to the Peach letting the HT head unit, control the amps/speakers.

Question #1: Is this a hard wired feature, ie, does the Peach NEED to be turned on, or can it be powered off for this feature to work? (obvously, the amps need power)

Question #2, but it's more of a scenario, it is also a question, in the form of a statement

It just dawned on me that this "HT" feature doesn't need to be limited to HT applications per se'... Seems if anyone had ANY kind of other line source you could use it as an input. Now, I DO mean to infer, a line source that might be coming from an integrated, like a pre out for example.

Scenario: Joe Blow has a Peach, 2 amps of choice & 2 speakers of choice. He wants (for what ever reason) to listen to an integrated amp to perhaps do an a/b test... or perhaps his friend brought one over to compare...

He could take a pre-out of that integrated, patch it into the HT on the Peach and now he's got an instant a/b switch allowing him to compare the integrated brand "X" with the Peach.

So if someone had a Peach and a...(insert brand of choice that has a pre out) that he also loved to listen to, he could EASILY have them both plumbed into the same amps/speakers by simply using the HT feature on the Peach!

Any thoughts? or am I off base??

I have a Peach but never tried the HT feature. I'm guessing, but it makes sense that it should work with the Peach off and so you should be able to do what you detail in question #2. I think I remember reading somewhere that it is a direct pass through to the output when in HT mode.

Mark Deneen or another Peach user should be able to confirm.

That is a VERY COOL option, I spoke with BSbutton last night and he mentioned this very feature.

Let me get this straight. Would this would allow a multi-channel 50% HT guy like me to attach the Peach unit first in line and output to an amp (probably DC300A) and two main speakers (LS with BEC AA) , then the Peach 'thru' line could feed my Yamaha HT receiver and I could enjoy BOTH worlds?

How would it be possible to get the sound output from my Yamaha 2 main channels back through the Peach into the amps/speaker combo listed above? Or would that require an amp switcher box?

I think this would allow me to use tube pre section for 2 ch listening and still have full use of HT modes for multi-channel.

Or am I confused?

Michael

Thank god for this thread! Now if only I could understand it. [:S]

Say one has a crappy AVR, wants to run 5:1, but wants the Peach to do it's magic on the 2 front speakers to augment things during 5:1... one can do this simultaneously... BUT BUT BUT - you'd have 2 volume control issues to deal with? Peach volume would need to be set along with AVR volume? Or....???

Meagain...

With the Peachs "HT" switch in "Peach" mode, the Peach's volume

controls 2 amps/speakers. With the HT switch in "HT" mode, the

unit CONNECTED TO the Peach, controls the SAME 2 amps/speakers (that

the Peach previously controlled)

Clear as mud now?

Mark's diagram correctly sets forth how most of us have our Peach set up. And to compliment a prior answer, yes, you can use the HT bypass for anything you want. Some of the times I use the HT bypass for HT (5.1), and other times I use it to run vinyl (fed off of a Luxman phono stage until I pick up a Blueberry).

Meagain: You can use the Peach to do its thing (tube pre) also during matrixed 5.1. To do that, you would not necessarily use the HT bypass feature, but you would also send the Peach a signal from your source, to one of its multiple inputs, much as you would any other tube pre.

For example, I have a Jolida CDP just like yours. Since the Jolida has two sets of outputs, I send one group of outputs to my multi channel prepro (or AVR) and the other set to my Peach (i.e. input 1). That way, if I want to play simulated 5.1, I run the mains directly using the Peach tube pre, and the other 3 speakers from the AVR. And yes - for that you would be controlling the Peach volume separately (just match it by ear or by Radio Shack meter).

Similarly, I use my Denon 2900 for DVDs and true 5.1 music (SACD/DVD-Audio). I send signals from the Denon to my AVR and also a feed to my Peach (main analog outputs from the Denon, input 2 on the Peach). That way, if I wanted to, I could run true 5.1 by using the Peach and the AVR (separately feeding). However, it should be noted that usually SACD/DVD-Audio sounds pretty good even without using the tube pre that I usually just run true 5.1, with all signals being fed from the AVR (and using the HT bypass feature of the Peach for the mains -- HT bypass from AVR mains out). And as Mark stated, with the Peach receiving signals through the HT bypass, the AVR controls all volume levels.

Clear as mud, huh?

Carl.

Thank god for this thread! Now if only I could understand it. [:S]

Say

one has a crappy AVR, wants to run 5:1, but wants the Peach to do it's

magic on the 2 front speakers to augment things during 5:1... one

can do this simultaneously... BUT BUT BUT - you'd have 2 volume

control issues to deal with? Peach volume would need to be set

along with AVR volume? Or....???

You used the word simultaneously and I think you might need to change that word (if I'm interpreting you correctly)

It's an either/or situation. Either the Peach is controlling

the 2 speakers or the other item patched into the HT switch is

controlling the two speakers. For lack of better way of painting

the picture, by hitting the "HT" switch, you are essentially REMOVING

the Peach from the system and REPLACING it entirely with the HT

unit. By hitting the HT switch back to Peach, you are removing

the HT system and replacing it in entirety, with the Peach. Very

much as though you were to literally unwire the Peach & replace it

with the HT unit and when done, unwire the HT unit and replace it with

the Peach. Good part is, all that rewiring is unnecessary because

of the switch Mark so wonderfully incorporated into it.

Look at his schematic above, no matter WHICH preamp is used, the

speakers are STILL connected to the same power amp. That same

power amp is the one that will power the speakers in either

scenario. two of your amps on your HT unit will essentially

become worthless OR, you might plug your Peach output into those amps

(not sure if that would work). In MY setup with seperates, the

amps inside my Yamaha HT unit would simply be bypassed in lieu of the

amps physically connected to my speakers.

Mud any better now? don't force me to write a book & drop it on ya [;)], I'm capable of that ya know. !! [;)]

Correct. It is an either, or scenario. Normally, for true 5.1 (DVD-Audio,SACD) or HT, you want to use the HT bypass and let the AVR control everything. Yes, you can control the volume of everything via the remote for your AVR, but then you would not be getting the audio benefits of the Peach.

The only advantage in using both your AVR and your Peach pre section at the same time would be for simulated or matrixed 5.1 (out of a 2 channel source).

Carl.

I hadn't thought about incorporating the Peach INTO a 5.1 setup as part

of it (which I think would require 2 volume controls) I was

interpreting her to wonder if you had 5.1 amp "A", and wanted to have a

Peach for 2 ch playback, could you do that easily and with ONE volume

at a time. I'd expect the answer to that to be 'yes'. Use

the 5.1 system in whole, or use the Peach in whole (and not mix them up

by using 3 of the 5.1 and 2 of the peach)

I guess it goes to show how flexible some of this stuff can be (or is that confusing).

Meagain, let's keep it simple first to get the concepts down...

If you want an EITHER/OR situation, then you can have your 5.1 system

on, OR the Peach on and depending on the position of the HT switch, the

5.1 volume will control the speakers attached to the Peach, OR, the

Peach will control the speakers attached to the Peach. Remember

though, (to keep it simple & black/white) you will need two

additional amps to connect to the Peach and two amps that are part of

your 5.1 system will NOT be used.

With that said, if you then 'blended' your stuff like in the example,

then you would have two volume controls, because your 5.1 is now really

a 3.1 with the additional 2 amps coming from the 2 channel side (to

make it 5.1 again). That certainly isn't a requirement (unless

you blend them perhaps).

That's how I see it anyways...

boy, I'm seeing circles all the sudden [8-)]

I have my PC ocnnected to the Peach as another source for playing music through an Audigy 2 ZS soundcard. It is connected to a line level input and I have the 2 volume control issue, Peach volume and PC soundcard volume.

Question, not knowing the impedance and output voltage of my soundcard off hand, would it be better to use the HT input and run the PC directly to the amp and use the soundcard controls for volume?

I hadn't thought about incorporating the Peach INTO a 5.1 setup as part of it (which I think would require 2 volume controls) I was interpreting her to wonder if you had 5.1 amp "A", and wanted to have a Peach for 2 ch playback, could you do that easily and with ONE volume at a time. I'd expect the answer to that to be 'yes'. Use the 5.1 system in whole, or use the Peach in whole (and not mix them up by using 3 of the 5.1 and 2 of the peach)

I guess it goes to show how flexible some of this stuff can be (or is that confusing).

Meagain, let's keep it simple first to get the concepts down...

If you want an EITHER/OR situation, then you can have your 5.1 system on, OR the Peach on and depending on the position of the HT switch, the 5.1 volume will control the speakers attached to the Peach, OR, the Peach will control the speakers attached to the Peach. Remember though, (to keep it simple & black/white) you will need two additional amps to connect to the Peach and two amps that are part of your 5.1 system will NOT be used.

With that said, if you then 'blended' your stuff like in the example, then you would have two volume controls, because your 5.1 is now really a 3.1 with the additional 2 amps coming from the 2 channel side (to make it 5.1 again). That certainly isn't a requirement (unless you blend them perhaps).

That's how I see it anyways...

boy, I'm seeing circles all the sudden [8-)]

The only reason I went there is because she indicated wanting the Peach tube benefits (of the pre) for the mains as part of a 5.1 - and that is the only way to get the tube-sounding benefits as part of a 5.1 playback. For the record, the 3.1 + 2 does work nicely, although I have not listened to that setup in awhile ever since my Belles increased in quality (ALKs and Trachorns). Maybe I'll try it out again after I get my rear Altecs and my center Belle up to snuff (matching my mains in quality).

Carl.

Would this solve the '2 volume controls' situation? http://www.soundscapeav.com/creek/obh10.html Not sure what inputs/outputs it has, but does come with a remote at least. Wondering if it could be rigged in such a way to control both... Naaa?

See - I have a boatload of concert DVD's and they have to sound good. It would be nice to be able to run quality gear thru the fronts with the AVR (assumably lesser quality gear) feeding the surrounds. There's gotta be away around the 2 volume control issue. Or, I guess I should find a killer sounding AVR. I paid $550 for mine and hence can't imagine I have good sound quality. :(

"Question, not knowing the impedance and output voltage of my soundcard off hand, would it be better to use the HT input and run the PC directly to the amp and use the soundcard controls for volume?" ======== You need 2 pieces of information. 1) What is the nominal output level in volts of your soundcard? 2) What is the input sensitivity of your power amp? If the card is 2V and your amp is 2V you are probably all set to use the HT bypass feature. If the card is 0.5V and the amp is 2V, then you'd need the Peach gain stage. md

Mark,

All the documentation on my soundcard that I can find just says "line level out". The VRD sensitivity is 1.1 v.

I'm just going to give it a try tonight. I never thought to try it before.

Would this solve the '2 volume controls' situation? http://www.soundscapeav.com/creek/obh10.html Not sure what inputs/outputs it has, but does come with a remote at least. Wondering if it could be rigged in such a way to control both... Naaa?

See - I have a boatload of concert DVD's and they have to sound good. It would be nice to be able to run quality gear thru the fronts with the AVR (assumably lesser quality gear) feeding the surrounds. There's gotta be away around the 2 volume control issue. Or, I guess I should find a killer sounding AVR. I paid $550 for mine and hence can't imagine I have good sound quality. :(

Given that, I would stay with your AVR and use it for 5.1 concerts and movies and start by improving your 2-channel with tube pre.

The reason being that with most concert DVDs, you are getting a discrete 5.1 mix - that is, they are attributing certain instruments (and vocals) in each of your speakers, and the focus is just not on your mains. For example, many concert DVDs or SACDs or DVD-Audios that I listen to put the focus on vocals in the center channel and the mains supplement with instruments, etc. That is an oversimplification but it makes the point - that the emphasis is on five channels providing substantive music and vocals to the mix. That is why when I first got into discrete 5.1 - I soon went from "effects" rear speakers (i.e. WDST) to real floorstanding (or decent bookshelves) because even your rear speakers are setting forth real music and vocals (rather than just helicopter noises). So, for uniformity sake, it is better to just use your AVR for the signal (when running a discrete 5.1) because all of the speakers are important. That is another reason why getting your LaScalas was a good idea because you have at least four speakers that are voice matched (and just need a matching center Belle or LaScala).

Additionally, generally, concert DVDs and SACDs and DVD-Audio are generally easier to sound good with lesser quality processors (versus two channel CD or vinyl). Again, that is an oversimplification, and I have room to talk (since I also have a pretty nice AVR or multi-channel processor). You can increase the quality of your AVR but I would really start where it makes the most difference in increasing the quality of your sound - initially - with your two chanel CD or vinyl. For example, pick up a Peach for two-channel audio (CD) and use the HT bypass from your AVR for 5.1.

Carl.

Carl - You're right. I'm fighting an uphill battle with my train of thought. Actually, right now I'm running these 5:1 dvds & dvd-a's thru 2-channel (Scalas aren't set up yet) . I think I can run the dvd player just as the cdp for 2-ch if I had a Peach, etc. I think. I guess I should resign myself towards looking into getting an AVR that does killer sound.

Coytee - Mark is saying you 'can' do what you asked in the first post... yes?

Meagain:

Don't get me wrong- I'm a bit advocate of tube prepros - I love them for 2 channel, and I also use mine to do a shadowed 2 channel in the rear (running mirrored front and rear speakers). Going with something like a Peach allows you to have great 2 channel, but also use the amp attached as part of your 5.1 setup.

When you are getting into 5.1 and DVD-Audio (and the quality of processors), that is not usually the focus here in the two-channel section. For music, most listen to two-channel or add a matrixed center along with it.

Depending if you are talking about true DVD-Audio and SACD (running five separate analog outputs from your player to the AVR - and depending on the DVD player's processor) or if you are running concert DVDs from an digital out (and depending on the processor in the AVR to do the decoding), that may dictate if you need to upgrade your DVD player or your AVR processor first (and which would make the most sense quality-wise to do so).

Therefore, I would post some pertinent questions about AVRs, processors and DVD players (with SACD, DVD-Audio capability) in the HT section of the forum or just browse for awhile. Some other good places to go are:

http://www.hometheaterspot.com

www.avsforum.com

Off of the top of my head, Rotel and B&K make some nice AVR units that also have decent audio-grade amps in them. But if you are not that focused on the quality of the amps in the AVR unit, many decent $500-$1000 AVRs have some quality processors in them (i.e. Pioneer Elite). You might even be surprised at the quality of the processor in your AVR. First, get five speakers hooked up to it first before you upgrade your AVR and/or your DVD player to see how it sounds.

Carl.

P.S. What Coytee wanted to do - running another preamp out through the HT of his Peach - yes - he can do that.

Mark,

Your soundcard will most likely work fine but may sound like dung depending on its abilities. Most supplied sound cards with PC's suck pretty bad being pumped into a high end revealing system.

Craig

Craig,

Good to hear from you buddy [:D]

I have an Audigy 2 ZS in my PC. That card seems to draw negative comments from people which I don't quite understand. It always sounds great to me running through the Peach and VRDs. I am not too crazy about the control software programs but I'm used to them now.

Tonight I'll try direct to the VRDs through the HT mode to see if there's any difference.