Looking for my 1st tube amp..

Clarence

"...that a good separate pre might be better than the pre in a given integrated...." ======== This will be nearly universally true - for a boatload of reasons. And it is doubly true if comparing a vintage integrated to a modern seperate preamp. In a general sense, the "amps" in the vintage integrateds are much better than the "preamps" on a relative scale. Why? Because the amps have far less parts, and thus a lot less to screw up. The xformers were generally excellent, and a power tube is a power tube is a power tube. BUT, in the preamps they loaded them up with tons of useless (today) filters, switches, doodads and oodles of really nasty "penny" parts (which have not aged gracefully). They also paid little to no attention to critical amplifier design as we now know it in the 21st century. The amps then are very quite passable, but the preamps tend towards the dark, murky, wool-gloved, wobbly and smarmy sounding end of things. Other than that, they're kind of nice. md

Absolute exageration there Mark. I suggest you go pickup one of these units give it a nice freshen up. Then shut your engineering mind off, Turn the music on, close your eyes ..................... then come back and edit your post[;)] They sound a heck of allot better then you may think with some modern parts and a few upgrades. Do they have the Hi End audio sound?........nope. Are they darn musical....absolutely.

Craig

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure about any of this except this quote brought a chuckle...

They also paid little to no attention to critical amplifier design as we now know it in the 21st century. The amps then are very quite passable, but the preamps tend towards the dark, murky, wool-gloved, wobbly and smarmy sounding end of things. Other than that, they're kind of nice.

[:D]

"They sound a heck of allot better then you may think with some modern parts and a few upgrades" ====== Well---yeahhhhh. I know the ones YOU fix up sound musical. I'm talking about the stuff "as it comes," dude! :-) md

Well Mark as they come from eBay today the darn things shouldn't even be plugged in LMAO!! So yea in as is original condition your statements are true.

Craig

Sorry Mark.... LOL Pandora's box is officially open for business.

"Craig---Why can't you just grab the input of the VC and run it out to an "input" jack?"

Maybe I'm a control freek, but I think this would be a cool thing. If by doing so, I could some day make the thing sound better by adding a kick-butt pre-amp & bypassing the integrated's.

But of course, if adding a different/better pre - would do nothing sonically (which I can't see happening?), then oh well.

Craig - Maybe my 299b can be used as a guinea pig? [:D]

ok... hate to butt in. But onward and upward!!!

I have a problem with patience. I'm working on it, but it has never been my strong suit. I have not been able to locate ANY HH Scott 299 C or D amps, (must be good, nobody wants to get rid of them!) But I have run across a few Dynaco ST-70 amps out there. Downfalls appear to be, IMHO, that it is not integrated like the Scott, which will require another purchase, and most of them are painted! Has anyone ever purchased, heard or got rid of one of these amps....

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1144964953

and what effect does painting have on them? Is it just to hide the poor previous condition? Anybody delt with this seller, Autospec? I didnt see him (or her) on the member list.... It seems to me that electronics and paint would not go toghether well, especially when heat is being generated. Comments? I love the white!!!

I haven't heard these amps but was going to go this route before I got the VRD's. This particular seller is pretty respected and from what I hear restores them very well. The other ST-70 restorer/seller is Cleby, and goes the same route. I'm sure Craig or Mark can chime in here. I beleive they both hold these amps in pretty high esteem. You realize you will have to get a Peach or a BlueBerry from Mark if you go this route, right? Could be a lot worse... LOL

Mike

[:)] No problem Meagain....

I looked at the eBay selection, and have moved on to Audiogon... The eBay Scott's are A's. My dad always taught me-

"There's no replacement for displacement"

Rings true with cars, speakers, amp's, women.... etc.

There are, however, always exceptions to the rule.

the search continues...

Sorry Mark.... LOL Pandora's box is officially open for business.

"Craig---Why can't you just grab the input of the VC and run it out to an "input" jack?"

Maybe I'm a control freek, but I think this would be a cool thing. If by doing so, I could some day make the thing sound better by adding a kick-butt pre-amp & bypassing the integrated's.

But of course, if adding a different/better pre - would do nothing sonically (which I can't see happening?), then oh well.

Craig - Maybe my 299b can be used as a guinea pig? [:D]

No need for guinea pigs. Trust me I have been down every road possible and multiple times with these rigs!

MD - Sometimes you just can't turn back the clock! [6] While I'm at it, to help even the score between you guys in the quid pro quo department... can you make me a Peach that I can program into my Pronto remote? Thanks! [:D] [:#]

No score to even up Mark and I have been friends for what 4 years now? Don't read more into the exchanges then are really there. Sure we don't agree on everything if we did it sure would be boring. Heck I bet Mark and I have logged 4000 hours on the phone together LOL!!

Craig

MD - Sometimes you just can't turn back the clock! [6] While I'm at it, to help even the score between you guys in the quid pro quo department... can you make me a Peach that I can program into my Pronto remote? Thanks! [:D] [:#]

No score to even up Mark and I have been friends for what 4 years now? Don't read more into the exchanges then are really there. Sure we don't agree on everything if we did it sure would be boring. Heck I bet Mark and I have logged 4000 hours on the phone together LOL!!

Craig

I know. "I" wanted to give you both sh*t because I can't get what I want from either of you.

Meagain,

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCOTT-299C-tube-integrated-amp-with-sleeve_W0QQitemZ5867287650QQcategoryZ73369QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks a little sketchy with recent negative feedback.... Craig your opinion? Do I settle for an "A"? Or will I find a C or D with a little patience?

Meagain,

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCOTT-299C-tube-integrated-amp-with-sleeve_W0QQitemZ5867287650QQcategoryZ73369QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks a little sketchy with recent negative feedback.... Craig your opinion? Do I settle for an "A"? Or will I find a C or D with a little patience?

You wouldn't be settleling for a 299A don't think that just because the letter got higher the amps got better. My still all time favorite Scott amp is the 299B with the A coming in a close second, The one and only positive thing the C and D have over the A and B is more power. In every other respect the first renditions were the best. In fact IMHO the D series were the worst having to many bells and whistle to distract from the sound. But after saying all this the difference between them all is small in the real world. I think you would be happy with any of them. It is much more important to buy the amp that is in the best example you can afford that doesn't look like it was left in a mud puddle for 20 years.

Craig