Looking for my 1st tube amp..

Clarence

"No score to even up Mark and I have been friends for what 4 years now?" ========= Remember the scribbled out bias scheme? The date on that was 3-2-02. So yeah, that's about 4 years already. Man, time flys. md

Man I do guess pretty good LOL!! 4 years ........... god help us.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have an A and it is by no means inferior to the others. It was also one of Craigs first offerings, and I can guarentee you his skills have improved over the years. You must remember what you will be driving with these amps. The later years (C and D) will only net you 3 more db overall than the A and B.

Don't deprive yourself one of these because of 3 db. As it is, I can't crank mine up more than 6.5 on the dial without having to leave the room.

Mike

Clarence,

The better question is what don't I listen to... this system (even though it is Chinese in manufacture) plays everything I throw at it with great enthusiasm. Jewel, Santana, Coldplay, Black Sabbath, Godsmack, Toby Keith, Miles Davis, Marvin Gaye, Dido, Eminem, Rush, etc.

I am aware there is great prejudice towards Chinese manufactured components (despite the likelihood every item you own has some component in it derived from China) and I myself dislike the politics associated with enslaving a third-world country but this amp is very, very good and an absolute value for the money.

Upgrades? Oh my. Take a look at the DIY forum on audio asylum. This amp can be purchased as a kit called the Ella. The question is what can't you do to it.

My particular amp has had the volume control modified and had Hovland Musicaps installed. With regards to tubes, the base amp has EL34's but you can drop in KT88's, 6550s, etc. and simply adjust the bias.

If you can overcome the bias against Chinese amps, you will have an amp which will perform as well if not better than the vintage integrateds - and it looks a helluva lot better. As mentioned previously, I love my Eico and this amp took its place in the main system. The only upgrade path I would consider now would be monoblocks and a Blueberry.

So how many properly rebuilt vintage integrated amps have you heard?

Properly rebuilt? That would be a matter of perspective would it not be? I don't claim to be an expert nor do I claim to have heard hundreds of amps. So how many Consonance Opera amps have you heard?

I am more than capable of establishing an opinion based on what I have heard, evaluating the perceived differences in build quality and components by examing them and most importantly, reading the opinions of hundreds of other people who have made comparisons and either purchased or listened to these amps; there is a wealth of information from people comparing these amps to offerings from just about every tube amp manufacturer both past and present.

That cumulative evidence, I suspect, makes for a valid viewpoint.

So how many properly rebuilt vintage integrated amps have you heard?

Properly rebuilt? That would be a matter of perspective would it not be? I don't claim to be an expert nor do I claim to have heard hundreds of amps. So how many Consonance Opera amps have you heard?

I am more than capable of establishing an opinion based on what I have heard, evaluating the perceived differences in build quality and components by examing them and most importantly, reading the opinions of hundreds of other people who have made comparisons and either purchased or listened to these amps; there is a wealth of information from people comparing these amps to offerings from just about every tube amp manufacturer both past and present.

That cumulative evidence, I suspect, makes for a valid viewpoint.

A simple question should garnish a simple answer....... I rest my case.

You weren't asking a simple question, you were attacking my credibility and opinion as evidenced by your statement about "making a case."

It was an attack and unwarranted. I did not impune your business nor vintage amps, I provided a simple, inexpensive, plug n play alternative.

Since I have heard vintage amps before they were "vintage" and therefore didn't need rebuilding, does that increase my credibility? Would my memory then be held suspect as well?

My simple question remains unanswered: how many Consonance Opera's have you heard?

Gentlemen...

The passion has been communicated and well taken. The difference in opinion comes with the many options available. The more I dig, the more I find. The Opera is a GREAT LOOKING AMP, but my patriotism questions the option of investing in a Chinese built product.. (arent the still semi-communist????) Having never heard vinatage OR new (foriegn or otherwise) tube equipment, I look to you all for your knowledge and expertise in this arena. If it was German, English, or American built we would not be having this "discussion." It is an interesting avenue, Anarchist, and I appreciate you bringing it to my attention. It is fundamentally what I am here for, knowledge. Craig has been an invaluble resource in my hunt for my first tube amp. (Do the French build an amp? [6])

You really want your stomach to turn? Walk through a Wal-Mart and randomly start picking things up to see where they're made. No surprise, 80% of their products are made in China. Remember they're ad campaign about 5+ years ago, with the American Flag on the box that said Made with Pride in the USA, or something to that effect? They even had it on their Semi Trailers! Well they've all but abandoned that... Makes me sick. It is hard to buy something these days that doesn't have some component made there....

Clarence,

The better question is what

don't I listen to... this system (even though it is Chinese in

manufacture) plays everything I throw at it with great

enthusiasm. Jewel, Santana, Coldplay, Black Sabbath, Godsmack,

Toby Keith, Miles Davis, Marvin Gaye, Dido, Eminem, Rush, etc.

I

am aware there is great prejudice towards Chinese manufactured

components (despite the likelihood every item you own has some

component in it derived from China) and I myself dislike the politics

associated with enslaving a third-world country but this amp is very,

very good and an absolute value for the money.

Upgrades?

Oh my. Take a look at the DIY forum on audio asylum. This

amp can be purchased as a kit called the Ella. The question is

what can't you do to it.

My particular amp has had the volume

control modified and had Hovland Musicaps installed. With regards

to tubes, the base amp has EL34's but you can drop in KT88's, 6550s,

etc. and simply adjust the bias.

If you can overcome the bias

against Chinese amps, you will have an amp which will perform as well

if not better than the vintage integrateds - and it looks a helluva lot

better. As mentioned previously, I love my Eico and this amp took its place in the main system. The only upgrade path I would consider now would be monoblocks and a Blueberry.

What model Eico?

Of vintage integrated amps I have heard the Eico's rank number 4 behind

Scott, Dynaco and Fisher overall. Eico integrateds lack bass weight and

realism on the top end. Eico separates are far superior to their

integrated. Pretty nice phono sections in the pre amps; although I like

the Ampex pre or Scott 130 better by a noticable margin for quiet.

Nowhere near the dark, quiet background and amazing nuetrality of a Blueberry of course.

"but my patriotism questions the option of investing in a Chinese built product."

=========

I know I am walking out on a dangerous limb here, but I am going to do it anyway. More important than any patriotic reasons, you might consider that every Chinese product you buy is a VOTE for that economy to SWALLOW yours.

Good old fashioned "self interest" and self preservation is a fine

motivation if you ask me. (I know, you didn't). For my small part, I

WANT my neighbors to have good jobs, good wages, and a good life. When

the shite hits the fan (and it will), I hardly expect China to start

paying our Social Security checks, or unemployment insurance - - do

you?

Horribly unpopular stance, but what the heck - it's Friday.

md

Somewhere down the road there is a piper to pay for the short term conveneience of the deluge of low cost imported goods.

Buy American when you can...while you can.

audio,

Its an auricapped, spragued HF-81. It produces a prodigious amount of bass and conveys a wonderful sense of realism. It can overwhelm the emotions and make you believe the singer is in the room. I would not part with it. The same can be said for the M100. I would add a Blueberry and Mark III's (or perceived derivatives) to my collection of equipment.

craig,

Your post was indeed funny. I checked but couldn't find the scratches in my amp.

mark,

I agree with your post and the implications. I have mentioned it before and it is indeed an unpopular stance. I bought the amp used from an American so my money did help the US economy.

As an aside, I can recall (over the last several years) when people were very biased against cheap circuit boards and insisted they all sounded like $hit and all point-to-point was the earmark of a high-end amplifier. How times change.