Looking for my 1st tube amp..

Clarence

craig,

Your post was indeed funny. I checked but couldn't find the scratches in my amp.

It is smartly hidden with good for a reason. If found by the final inspector (which is well known to be a sadistic commie) the poor 25 cent an hour worker will be tortured<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

with extreme prejudice and forced to place his/her children in bondage for life.

PS,

I was not attacking you just pointing out the obvious.. that you are basing your opinion on comparing one single integrated amp that happens to be known to have a wide variance in how well it performs from one example to the next rebuilt or not. The EICO HF81 can be a spectacular sounding amp IF YOUR LUCKY and even then it has some serious limitations. I never said a single derogatory thing about your little Chinese baby or about you in my question. I simply ask a question that would point out the true fact you have limited experience with vintage gear.

Craig

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On the Eico, I apparently was lucky and the rebuild it had (on the caps) took it up even more. I am sure it could be even better if I had you check all the resistors and replace them with better (or true) components.

I was lucky (or did my research) on the Consonance as well and bought one that had been gone through and upgraded as well.

We all have limited experience in vintage gear - I have heard Fishers and Scotts and Eico's. I have owned Fishers and Scotts and Eico's and a lot of "other" gear as well over the last 30 years. Most of it I didn't appreciate at the time nor did I keep it which is why it costs so much more now to maintain this hobby. I have thrown away more gear than I currently own.

You have seen more examples of vintage gear and worked on them but it still does not change you have limited experience as well. There is always someone who has more experience, has seen more examples of a particular piece, and claims to have better ears. There is a large body of evidence available which lends itself to my opinion about the Opera; that collective experience is far greater than any one individuals and will always be.

There are no absolutes.

PS. I hope that one Chinese fellow building all these Chinese amps manages to get himself smuggled illegally into the US and escape his bondage. God knows how excited he would be to go to work at WalMart working for minimum wage and reduced insurance benefits. To envision him enjoying the sweet smells of success warms my heart.

On the Eico, I apparently was lucky and the rebuild it had (on the caps) took it up even more. I am sure it could be even better if I had you check all the resistors and replace them with better (or true) components.

I was lucky (or did my research) on the Consonance as well and bought one that had been gone through and upgraded as well.

We all have limited experience in vintage gear - I have heard Fishers and Scotts and Eico's. I have owned Fishers and Scotts and Eico's and a lot of "other" gear as well over the last 30 years. Most of it I didn't appreciate at the time nor did I keep it which is why it costs so much more now to maintain this hobby. I have thrown away more gear than I currently own.

You have seen more examples of vintage gear and worked on them but it still does not change you have limited experience as well. There is always someone who has more experience, has seen more examples of a particular piece, and claims to have better ears. There is a large body of evidence available which lends itself to my opinion about the Opera; that collective experience is far greater than any one individuals and will always be.

There are no absolutes.

PS. I hope that one Chinese fellow building all these Chinese amps manages to get himself smuggled illegally into the US and escape his bondage. God knows how excited he would be to go to work at WalMart working for minimum wage and reduced insurance benefits. To envision him enjoying the sweet smells of success warms my heart.

Okay whatever.

Like your mom? [:)]