Looking for my 1st tube amp..

Clarence

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone know if a 299b (or thereabouts) ..... if the pre in this unit can be bypassed with another assumably higher end separate pre? I've yet to figure out the ports on this thing. No clue what Mag is, etc.

I'm not really sure what you are asking, but the MAG is for the turntable. My Scott has Mag High, Mag Low, Extra and Tape if my memory servers me. Those are the inputs.

You should be able (if you want to for what ever reason) connect all your other equipment to a pre or pre/turner. Then take the pre out and run it to the Scott's "extra" in. Keep your speaker connected to the Scott. Now use your other pre/tuner to select your sources and keep the Scott's knob on extra and power it up. You will be using the other pre to feed the Scott and the Scott to power your speakers. No idea what sonics will result. I did this with a Carver SS pre just to play around and it worked fine.

Does anyone know if a 299b (or thereabouts) ..... if the pre in this unit can be bypassed with another assumably higher end separate pre? I've yet to figure out the ports on this thing. No clue what Mag is, etc.

Unfortunately, the Scott does not have pre-in or pre-out connections.

Mag stands for Moving Magnet (MM) cartridges. You should have Mag1 and Mag2, and those should only be used for phono inputs. Do you have the users manual yet? I think there are a couple of places to get them. Try the Scott site. I may have got mine from eBay, but I think someone on Audio Asylum, or another Forum, sent me a copy.

Mike

You should be able (if you want to for what ever reason) connect all your other equipment to a pre or pre/turner. Then take the pre out and run it to the Scott's "extra" in. Keep your speaker connected to the Scott. Now use your other pre/tuner to select your sources and keep the Scott's knob on extra and power it up. You will be using the other pre to feed the Scott and the Scott to power your speakers. No idea what sonics will result. I did this with a Carver SS pre just to play around and it worked fine.

I was not aware of this... I will need to find my manual and see if I have the same input.

Mike

Gee. So say... If I had a Peach... I could hook it to the Scott in such a way that the Scott's pre-amp would be out of the loop and the Peach could do whatever magic it has on the Scott? Yes? I have the 'extra' ports on the back. Then a presumbably better quality pre-amp running might ramp up the sound quality?

Mike - I hope you try this when you get the Peach and not put the Scott in the garage just yet. [;)]

Gee. So say... If I had a Peach... I could hook it to the Scott in such a way that the Scott's pre-amp would be out of the loop and the Peach could do whatever magic it has on the Scott? Yes? I have the 'extra' ports on the back. Then a presumbably better quality pre-amp running might ramp up the sound quality?

[;)]

Mark from Juicy can give you the gory details, but you won't totally be bypassing the Scott's pre section because the "extra" is just a line in...sort of like aux, CD, tape or whatever other line sources you typically see on things.

You would be taking all the magic from the Peach and passing it through the Scott to amplify it. My guess would be that there has to be some sort of signal change from the output of the Peach through the Scott. Not saying it would be bad, but I believe it would be altered beyond just passing the signal from the Peach to a standard Amp.

Why are you contemplating this or what are you trying to achieve? The Scott is an integrated preamplifier and amplifier in one, thus the term integrated. The Peach is just a preamplifier. Typically you would use the Scott by itself or the Peach together with the amp of your choice. Obviously it should be a mega-watt-ed Crown unless we have learned nothing over the past month or so! [6][H]

Mike - I hope you try this when you get the Peach and not put the Scott in the garage just yet. [;)]

Complete waste of time and money. First off there is no way to bypass the preamp section in the Scott. The Extra input on the Scott is for CD players and other high level sources. The Peach is best served by power amplifiers not an integrated amp. Of course a Peach/Power amp combo is going to set you back at least 3 times what the Scott combo will.

You usually have to crawl before you walk.

Craig

You usually have to crawl before you walk.

Craig

Gawd I cant wait to crawl.......... [:D] Thanks for all your help so far Craig!!!!

Ed

Craig---Why can't you just grab the input of the VC and run it out to an "input" jack? I think this turns the Scott (and most other integrateds) into a little power amp. I think the VC is the last element of the preamp before going into the power amp gain stage (7199, etc). Just leave all the tubes in as dummies. 'Course, I'm not looking at a Scott per se, so I might be missing something. Yeah, just stirring the pot-------md

Yeah - what he said. I was just thinking (poorly, cuz I'm beyond ignorant about this stuff) that since everyone says having a good preamp is critically important - more important even than the amp.... that a good separate pre might be better than the pre in a given integrated and it would be nice to have the option of using one or the other...

For instance (and I may be talking out my butt here), if this can be done with this Scott (or others), one can then ramp up to a good pre separate to kick things up a notch, then perhaps later progress to a better amp to add to that pre? IDK.

Like this unit. It's an integrated tube but has the appropriate port to hook a pre-amp to it if desired. It mentions this at the end of paragraph 2. http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue22/eastern_electric.htm.

You know?

The Scott output section is best served by the built in Scott preamp section. The sections in and of themselves are nothing to get excited about singularly. I'm not trying to talk someone into or out of getting a Scott or a Peach. I just think the Peach would be better served with a nice set of power amps. The two designs are just on different levels with different goals in mind.

The Scott's are a great way to get into tubes on the low buck. By no means are they the end all of high end audio. Surely for the price of admission I can not believe anyone would honestly feel they should be. By the same token I would take just about any vintage tube rig over the HK or chip amp brigade without blinking an eye. The guy's that drool with excitement over that gear have me really confused.

I tell you one thing in many ways I wish I would stopped ages ago with my lowly Scott 299B, KSW-15 sub , Heresy's with mid-fi sources. This hobby surely is addicting.

Craig

I am going to throw in a different suggestion... you can pick up a used Consonance Opera (M100) on audiogon all the time and they are very reasonable and will not need rebuilt. They are easily upgraded if you want to, allow you to sample a variety of tubes and provide very good sound and good power (40 - 50 wpc). They are an integrated and provide 3 inputs. I have both one of those and a modifed upgraded vintage amp; they are both very good and the Opera (also available as a DIY simplified version) has received hundreds if not thousands of very favorable reviews. I love vintage but there is something to be said for purchasing an amp and being able to use it without needing to rebuild it, pay shipping repeatedly, or worry about its longevity.

Take a look

Great option, thanks. Couple questions. What kind of music do you listen to? Its probably in your profile, but what do you drive with it? When you say that it can be upgraded, does that meen by putting bigger tubes in it? Does anybody else have an opinion, (good OR bad) of going this route? God it is good looking....

EDIT:

China. Ughh.