Tube Pre-Amp for Cornwalls

ricky588

Looking for some help and guidance as to what tube pre will go well with the cornwalls. I will have around $800-900 on the used market to spend but obviously do not want to waste on the wrong purchase. Pre's that I have been considering, Audible Illusions M3A, Rouge 99 Magnum, Anthem Pre 1 etc.

I would prefer one with a built in phono as I still enjoy vinyl.

Thanks,

I have a very nice Audible Illusion L-1 (i.e. headphone amp in place of the phono preamp) that I plan on selling (around $650). I have not used it with my cornwalls, but the reviews speak for themselves. For my system, given that I use a tube DAC with a high voltage output, I decided a passive preamp was better than any active preamp.

I don't disagree with what was said above about the 6DJ8 tube, though I wonder how much of that bias is base on the famous amperex 6dj8s (i.e. bugle boys, gold pin, A frame ,D getter, etc., etc.) which sound very sterile and "hi fi" to me. Even with other tubes, the AI is a very accurate preamp. If you want to little tube smoothness, but to retain a large part of strengths of SS, it may a good pre for you. Romantic it is not.

Personnally, I would rule out any preamp using 6DJ8 tubes so the Modulus and SF has to go, but my opinion is in a minority here.

Hmmm... there are numerous BlueBerry Extreme (and Peach) members on this board that might want to differ with you. I ordered one myself (arrives tomorrow) just based on all the positive feedback from the members here. I think the Peach comes with 3 of 'em...

Mike

Personnally, I would rule out any preamp using 6DJ8 tubes so the Modulus and SF has to go, but my opinion is in a minority here.

Hmmm... there are numerous BlueBerry Extreme (and Peach) members on this board that might want to differ with you. I ordered one myself (arrives tomorrow) just based on all the positive feedback from the members here. I think the Peach comes with 3 of 'em...

Mike

YEA, Mike ..

I was Very impressed with the Merlin loaner I had .....

it was equal soundwise, every bit, of my $2500 QuickSilver Pre

there was nothing Sterile about it ... voicing is everything ...great job Mdeneen....[:)]

That's really nice to hear, Duke. I only have the stock tubes and am going to run them that way for a while (with the stock VRD's). This way I will have a baseline to compare to when I'm ready to start rolling. Wish I had a CD player so I could sample the line stage. That's gonna have to wait tho. God, I wish I were rich instead of good looking. [:D]

Mike

Personnally, I would rule out any preamp using 6DJ8 tubes .

might I ask Why ..???.... Guy

In general, most 6dj8's are too hifi-ish sounding and not musical enough to my ears, and the acceptable ones cost a small fortune and tend to be microphonic in the most circuits.

Guy,

Have you ever been able to hear one of mdeneen's products? My Cca sounds great.

How's life in Tel Aviv? Hope you're doing well.

That's really nice to hear, Duke. I only have the stock tubes and am going to run them that way for a while (with the stock VRD's). This way I will have a baseline to compare to when I'm ready to start rolling. Wish I had a CD player so I could sample the line stage. That's gonna have to wait tho. God, I wish I were rich instead of good looking. [:D]

Mike

Mike, I agree with BigDee. The BB blue me away. Am also with The Duke. Had a little/Big Merlin loaner, and ended up keeping it. (stock so far)

The things that JMA pre's do for big-ball-nasty old SS power amps into CW's is a thing to behold. (make no mistake, I lust to try VRD's)

Must say that Merlin was the most cost-effective improvement that I can remember.

Terry

PS: Can someone define ....."too hifi-ish sounding"......? Hell I may have that.[;)] PWK said " there is no hi-fi. It is fidelity or it is not".[:-*]

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback, I have been away on business so it has been difficult for me to get back to you.

How much difference in sound quality as compared to the M3A?

Also is it the L1 or LS1 as I know there were a couple of revisions.

Once I am back from the trip I will contact you.

Thanks,