"Eclipse" Cornerhorns? What the ....?

dougdrake

On the other hand, what he is doing is perfectly legal (except for the part that lists "Klipsch" under brand). Or did I miss something else?

So, let's assume he's legal on everything. Why take an issue with him trying to make money? Nobody has heard the product yet. Suppose you heard it and thought to yourself "These are better than Klipsch!" Then, what?

Many folks in America buy generic drugs that are manufactured by companies who decided to get into the game after the patent on the original drug expired. They often find generics save them 20% - and even as much as 70%. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I think legal knock-offs are a great form of competition in a free market. Sometimes, you get a good deal. Sometimes, you don't. I like competition better than monopoly because there is more choice. A limited monopoly is proper for patents to protect a potential to recover R&D and compensate innovation in order to encourage invention. But, rightfully, the monopoly expires in favor of choice.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear ya, but why do they need to copy a Klipschorn? If they have that much talent that they can create a decent sounding corner horn loudspeaker, then they should concentrate on doing that instead of copying another man's design.

Whatever...

Maybe this is old news too, but it's my first time hearing about this RF-7 look-alike called the BIC Acoustech Cinema Series HT-75:

http://www.bicacoustechspeakers.com/closeup.asp?cid=27&pid=48&offset=0

Well when you buy a Diesel truck arnt you infringing on Rudy Diesel,s Name? Its now generic....This guys Khorns might sound better than the Klipschorns..That might be the edge to his advantage...I know my Khorns sound better than than the original. I havent found any one here that has auditioned his speaker. But are willing to boycot his product because he,s making a simmiler design. (but might be better, or worse) Remember not all Klipschorns were great....Consider the ones (bass bins) that had the wood wedges in the throat area. And Paul didnt reveal these to the costomer & later were found & posted on this forum. Before you stand up on your soap box,s screaming to lynch this guy & put him out of business, Give him the benefit of at least a listen. I really love people who prejudge. I come from missouri SHOW ME. Remember none of the speakers inside the Klipschorn were ever made by Klipsch...NONE.

Look at it this way......Rudy Diesel....Invented & pat. His famous engine. .look at the world today...Most large trucks, Ships, Subs, cars, use that design. The desendents of his family dont get a dime in royalties. That engine design is used all over the world.....The Khorn design will succome to that fate. They will be manufactured under many names. They could go on for centuries.......Diesel,,,,,Khorn,,,,,Hartsfield.

Not to mention Rudy Diesel mysteriously disappeared while on an ocean cruise. Foul play was suspected but never proven.

That's not my point, Maron. I don't care how good or bad his clones sound, and I don't care that PWK never made any of his own drivers, etc. etc. My only point is this...why does this guy (and Shinall) have to build their corner horn speakers to look exactly like Klipschorns? Why can't they design their own horn-loaded cabinets? Why is this so hard to comprehend? His (and Shinall's) clones may just be better sounding than Klipschorns as far as I know, and that is fine by me (I'm not trying to put the guy out of business), but their horn speakers don't have to look exactly like Klipschorns...to me that's just plain stupid (IMHO).

Bikinis are made by various swimwear manufacturers. The basic design is the same, but they still come in various forms and sizes.

Violins, like pianos, trumpets, and bassoons, are also made by various manufacturers and retain their basic shape that's been passed down through the generations, although there are variations in design.

Klipschorns, as designed and built by PWK, are not built by various manufacturers, but by one company and one company alone...Klipsch Audio Technologies. Eclipse does not build Klipschorns. Neither does Shinall.

What part of this do you not understand?

If these are not Klipschorns, than why does he have the Brand listed as Klipsch?

Wouldn't that be like the Dell factory outlet store listing a Dell PC as a McIntosh?

Looks like he read my post...

The seller has revised the following item information:

Date

Time

Revised Information

Mar-07-06

21:16:02 PST

Details

Item Specifics: - Home Speakers

Changed Brand from Klipsch to Eclipse

Mar-07-06

22:33:51 PST

Description

Details

Category

Item Specifics: - Home Speakers

Changed Cabinet Color from Wood - Dark to Wood - Light

...Remember not all Klipschorns were great....Consider the ones (bass bins) that had the wood wedges in the throat area. And Paul didnt reveal these to the costomer & later were found & posted on this forum. .......Remember none of the speakers inside the Klipschorn were ever made by Klipsch...NONE.

Search as I might, I can find no reference to any posts on the Forum referring to wood wedges in the throat area. What model years are effected by this? Please post a link to where the topic is posted as this is new information to me (and maybe others here).

While Klipsch may not have produced most of the drivers in house, Klipsch made no secret that the drivers were manufactured by Atlas, Electro-Voice, and Hepner, and have always freely published the specifications of their speaker systems and disclosed the terms of their warranty, none of which this seller is willing to do.

BTW, I understand that the 'K' drivers were manufactured in-house by Klipsch on Hepner tooling which they bought and moved to Hope after Mr. Hepner passed away.