"Eclipse" Cornerhorns? What the ....?

dougdrake

Coytee

"I looked at your feedback and can't seem to find a SINGLE person giving feedback for buying a pair? Looks like all your feedbacks but one, were from sellers??"

You see that on Audiogon a lot. Mainly due to the low cost of placing a listing. Folks have their whole system listed with no intention of really selling unless someone comes along and offers an unexpected price.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A fiberglass midrange horn that has a 120 degree radiation pattern (the original Khorn had a 90degree?)

The tweeter is a Bob Crites tweeter

The midrange compression driver is 3 inches in diameter instead of 1 inch

He told me that the bass bin has somewhat different dimensions, and a different "mouth" termination at the end of the horn.

As he explained it to me, he had been a Khorn owner for 25 years, and decided to use his acumulated knowledge to make changes to improve what he feels is a fundamentally good design. I live in New Jersey, and I have not heard the speakers yet, but I felt that they were certainly one of the choices I would explore before rebuilding an older pair. Many forum members have purchased crossovers and drivers from ALK, Bob Crites et al, and have praised their work. Why is Michael any different? Yes, the pictures are crappy, and there is no website, but the same can be said for enterprises that are bigger than his. I personally have no reason after speaking with him to believe that he is a fraud. I am intrigued by the idea, and I would love to hear them. And that doesn't mean that I don't have the utmost respect for Paul Klipsch, because I do. I agree that Michael should make copies of his warranty available to potential buyers, and I will ask him about that. I was also curious about the origin of the bass and midrange drivers- just curiosity; and I will ask him about that too.

Finally got Yanked................

his Listing Is Unavailable rtCurve.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif iconInfo_32x32.gifs.gif This listing (260100154948) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number.

If
the listing was removed by eBay, consider it canceled. Note: Listings
that have ended more than 90 days ago will no longer appear on eBay.
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
This thread reminds me of the Shinhall thread a few years back............Yew..............

• 11 months later...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Eclipse-K-PAIR-Outperforms-Pauls-K-horns-Must-Hear_W0QQitemZ250300487417QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpeakers_Subwoofers?hash=item250300487417&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50#ShippingPayment

They look nice, no way to tell how well they are made. His workmanship looks good, and it looks like he used a good grade of plywood. It also looks like he followed the Klipschorn type plan, rather than the Speakerlabs type plan.

In addition to the Crites tweeter, it looks like he is using a 2" throat Selenium driver for the midrange. I hope he used a suitable woofer, it looks like he has put a lot of time, money, and thought into this project.

It does not look bad, it would have been nice if the guy had some originality. The mid horn looks quite nice. I am not sure if the photos of that section are deliberately fuzzy to hide some detail.

Also, looks like the bass bin has a Klipsch style tailboard but the top of the bass bin looks more like the Speakerlab version. I wonder if he is using the 3"x13" slot or the 6"x13" slot.

• 2 years later...