Is This a K Horn Copy infringment?

Bill H.

Saw this Ebay sale and to me- this joker is either trying to sell some fool a used Khorn

for way too much, or he is making (he claims), an exact copy of the Klipsch Khorn.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5868093968&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D5868093968%26fvi%3D1

*Corvette Steve has already questioned this guy about it.........Way to go Steve!

post-4626-13819281846468_thumb.jpg

I asked the guy about the speakers too. Specifically, I asked him what drivers he was using, what materials were used in the internal construction, and with a fairly plentiful supply of real Klipschorns, why I would want to pay twice as much for his as for a clean pair of used Khorns. Reply was:

my cornerhorns use 1/2 inch ac grade plywood, 1 inch basshorn fronts,3/4 for top housing,and some other parts.NO mdf or chip board or partical board is used in these cabs.,making them more than solid enouph for use with 1250 watt rms drive units.the supply of klipschorns available is irrelevent,as my eclipse cornerhorns responde with clearer sound,more pleaserable midrange responce,and basshorn modifications allow smoother and more extended low freq. responce! i hope this has been helpful,feel free to call me @ 360 651 8992 if i can help with other details,thanks for looking,cheers mike mwb157.

So if you have any questions, you can give him a buzz. I suspect what you would find is that exactly one pair of these exist (or maybe only one speaker) and the guts are used Klipsch stuff from ebay. Shucks, I used 3/4" marine grade plywood for the subfloor in my bathroom. Doesn't AC have voids? Do real Khorns have 1/2 plywood in the bass bins? Doesn't sound like a good way to get smoother and more extended low frequence response to me. And the 1250 watt rms comment was a real chuckle. Wonder where he got the woofer to handle 1250 watts? Should kick a good SPL out at a very listenable 5 Hz, though.

DL,

Thanks. I also wrote him and stated that what he was trying to sell were Klipsch Used speakers.

Here is his response.

Item: ECLIPSE CORNERHORN LOUDSPEAKERS-CONCERT QUALITY SOUND!! (5868093968)

This message was sent while the listing was active.

mwb157 is the seller.

---------------------------------------

dear sir ,this is a pair of BRAND KNEW eclipse cornerhorn pair ,not klipsch,not used,sorry for the missunderstanding,also these do NOT contain klipsch or klipsch style drive components,cabs. are made in marysville wa.,not hope ark. if this doesnt help,call me @3606518992,i will be happy to discuss my product to you,mike mwb157.

But your statement also is correct- why pay twice as much for his, when you can buy the Original!

Bet he doesn't know what he's in for-does he [:o]

mr def,to stop chuckaling refer to eminence kilomax 15A,rated at a true 1,250 watts rms! these cornerhorns as well as klipschorns,do in fact use 1/2 inch in the folded basshorns,as well as soom 3/4 inch. you suspect wrong,13 pair have been produced to date,why do you people think klipsch is the only company to make cornerhorns,klipsch,speakerfactory,speakerlab, electrovoice,eclipse,and others have produced cornerhorn speakers over the years,cheers mwb157.

• Moderators

In there a forum member in WA. that is close by that they can give these things a listen? Would be interesting to hear how they sound. There is a guy in Spring, Texas that makes several models of speakers that are closely releated to Klipsch Herritage line. He has been the subject of previous threads, his stuff looks great and supposedly sounds great too.

There was a good market for this type of thing until Klipsch revamped the Heritage line. It's little guys like that who probably got Klipsch to wake up on Heritage.

Travis

OK, now this might just get me in some water here...but good grief, how

could I give my cash to a person with such atrocious spelling, grammar

and punctuation? I know this is "just" the internet, but how

could a business possibly be taken seriously with responses like

these? Is it just me?

13 pair? P.T Barnum was on the right track, me thinks. ;)

K

I might suggest better (and more) photography. If you have any hope of selling these for CLOSE to what used pairs of Khorns go for, you'll have to show detailed, SHARP pictures, minus the home furnishings, thermostat, flag, etc. Let's see the components, the crossovers, etc.

Indeed, the ebay ad and the responses just reek of hogwash. Why would a horn-loaded bass cabinet with a 1250-watt capacity driver impress anyone but a rube or hip-hopper? And the lack of answers about the crossovers, horns and drivers is just plain evasive. If I tilt my laptop, I can just make out the shapes of what looks like a pair or tractix horns in the upper bin. Heaven knows what is hiding behind that grill cloth. Do we dare ask for a frequency response plot?

Bottom line-- If you're going to copy the Klipschorn, improve the looks and make it something uniquely your own. I see absolutely no reason not to spend less and get the real thing.

I'm about an hours drive away from Marysville, so I can give them a listen sometime. Don't know when exactly, though, but I'll put it on the agenda...

Interestingly, the only Klipsch Heritage dealer active in the state also happens to be located in Marysville, too. It's clearly a HOTBED of Klipsch and Klone activity!

As far as anyone making a Klone, that's fine by me. The more horns happening the better. More choices are always better. A well-made cabinet is a well-made cabinet, regardless of who makes it. The only question I have is how good of a cabinet is it?

Another interesting point - fully "counterfeiting" a Khorn is relatively pointless, seems to me. The genuine article (used) doesn't sell for enough to make it worth the effort of copying, seems to me...

And another of my opinions - I always felt that the 150w-200w limitation on the Khorn is a drawback in HT use. Not enough headroom. So what's wrong with this guy's attempt?

DM

Nah, ain't enough for HT use IMO.

I used to worry for the K33E's on loud dynamics... I did have the Klipsch dealer demo Khorns as HT mains and I thought that THEY would certainly toast, but the sales guy just laughed at me. It was VERY loud. Probably the most realistic gunfire I have ever heard outside of a real firing range.

But mine are now louder even with no subwoofer and no worries.

DM